E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E90 camshaft carrier cap crack? Help please

01-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
fermano66
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 740i

E90 camshaft carrier cap crack? Help please

I have a 2006 325i and took it to the dealer for some general maintenance, came back with a bill of 2300 for seals in the engine and a starter. Then they started to work on it and he calls me and tells me that theirs a crack by the camshaft carrier cap? He claims the car had 3 quarts of oil in it and says the oils light was on. I never saw the oil light on and not did I take it there for the oil change because I do them myself and I'm on top of them. Is this a known problem with the car? Can someone help me in any way please. Thank you. The car has 110k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Rickygst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

What seals were they replacing? Is this a trust worthy dealer or could they have broken something by mistake. Doesn't make sense for them to say oil light was on if it wasn't mention when you drop it off
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
fermano66
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickygst View Post
What seals were they replacing? Is this a trust worthy dealer or could they have broken something by mistake. Doesn't make sense for them to say oil light was on if it wasn't mention when you drop it off

The seals were the oil pan and the valve cover gasket. In my opinion it's not a trust worthy dealer because I hear bad things about them and I haven't had the best experience with them, but then again I don't have much of a choice when the only other dealer is far and I don't have time. Sounds like they broke something and trying to blame it on me. I took it in last Tuesday and he gave me the inspection back and the things that needed to be done to it on Thursday, I gave them the okay to get started on the work and he said they will start on it on Friday and then he texts me on Tuesday morning a week after I brought it in saying theirs a crack. From the info I have and believe, something went wrong on their part because I drove it in there and now he says it's not drivable, which does not make sense because if it were cracked I would have oil in my driveway and my sister wouldn't be able to drive it to work everyday like she has been doing. Also, my sister has a very light foot, so it wouldn't be from beating on the car
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Is there any way you can get a written explanation on what the problem is. You are not translating what the SA told you very well. Camshafts have bearing caps; there is no such thing as a "camshaft carrier cap". The N52 has a part called the bearing ledge. Does the SA mean the cylinder head is cracked? Not enough info here.

Since the work being done is replacing the oil pan gasket, they will drain the oil. I doubt the technician drained the oil into a catch pan and then measured the quantity. I doubt the engine would even run properly with just 3 quarts of oil in it since it takes 7 and the VANOS system needs a constant flow of oil to operate. And at 4 quarts low on oil the CBS would have definitely made you aware of the low oil condition. The CBS lets the engine run to 1 quart low and then notifies the driver of the low oil level. Does you sister understand how the CBS notifications work, or is she a woman who just ignores notifications on the dashboard until the car dies and then she dials her cell phone to call for help?

Good luck.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
fermano66
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Is there any way you can get a written explanation on what the problem is. You are not translating what the SA told you very well. Camshafts have bearing caps; there is no such thing as a "camshaft carrier cap". The N52 has a part called the bearing ledge. Does the SA mean the cylinder head is cracked? Not enough info here.

Since the work being done is replacing the oil pan gasket, they will drain the oil. I doubt the technician drained the oil into a catch pan and then measured the quantity. I doubt the engine would even run properly with just 3 quarts of oil in it since it takes 7 and the VANOS system needs a constant flow of oil to operate. And at 4 quarts low on oil the CBS would have definitely made you aware of the low oil condition. The CBS lets the engine run to 1 quart low and then notifies the driver of the low oil level. Does you sister understand how the CBS notifications work, or is she a woman who just ignores notifications on the dashboard until the car dies and then she dials her cell phone to call for help?

Good luck.
So I am getting it in writing but I think he said the cylinder head is cracked and that their are two other cylinders that are blue from low oil. The part I dont understand is that I brought it in there with no oil light. I know it didn't have an oil light on, then he claims it came on in their test drive and said to put 1 quart in there and I said okay that's fine, maybe it was from the seals being old. Then he said the car had only 3 quarts in it? The car ran fine when I brought it in there and like you said she wouldn't be able to drive it if it only had that much oil in it. Yeah I'm not the best with communicating the parts and what not, but I asked for it in writing to post here
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

"Sounds like they broke something and trying to blame it on me."

To me too.

Obvious basic math:

7 - 1 is not equal to 3

Quote:
I know it didn't have an oil light on, then he claims it came on in their test drive and said to put 1 quart in there and I said okay that's fine, maybe it was from the seals being old. Then he said the car had only 3 quarts in it?
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
fermano66
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
"Sounds like they broke something and trying to blame it on me."

To me too.

Obvious basic math:

7 - 1 is not equal to 3
That's what I thought too. Thank you. Problem is is that they never admit to their mistakes

Last edited by fermano66; 01-13-2016 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #8
Rickygst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

I would ask for my car back in the same condition as you brought it in. It was running when you brought it in but with leaks. If they can't give it back the same way it came in then try and make them fix it. Get a lawyer if necessary. Also make them show you what they are talking about
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #9
fermano66
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickygst View Post
I would ask for my car back in the same condition as you brought it in. It was running when you brought it in but with leaks. If they can't give it back the same way it came in then try and make them fix it. Get a lawyer if necessary. Also make them show you what they are talking about
Thank you for the advice, I ended up just picking it up today and cut my losses on the car. I called my lawyer and he said it's not worth fighting over. One of the camshafts was cracked and he showed me it. I don't know how it happened and how it was "starving of oil" since I do an oil change on the car every 4K miles with synthetic. Now I'm just trying to sell the car as is because it became a bigger headache than I expected. car has a new starter but won't run haha
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
rj42894
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi A52

*bump*

I am having a similar issue here.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613927

Last edited by rj42894; 05-13-2019 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: wrong link
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #11
leif20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Auto, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj42894 View Post
*bump*

I am having a similar issue here.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214436
You posted a link to this thread. I think you meant to post to the one you started.
Yikes, this is a crazy issue.
      05-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #12
rj42894
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi A52

Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leif20 View Post
You posted a link to this thread. I think you meant to post to the one you started.
Yikes, this is a crazy issue.
Thank you! fixed the link.
Appreciate 0