E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Review - Bilstein B16/PSS10 Ride Control Coilover Suspension on E92 335i ***

10-16-2016, 02:31 AM   #45
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Bumping this thread bc it has a great review and a TON of information on the Bilstein B16 - Ride Control kit...

I'm considering this kit bc I like the idea of easy push of a button to go from Normal mode to Sport mode for the handling. But also still have that comfortable side for the occasional DD I have to use my E92 335i for. Like the OP, my area also has a lot of bumps, potholes, speed bump, you name it lol.

Has anyone else purchased the Bilstein B16 R.C. Suspension setup? Looking for reviews or input on whether or not these are worth the $ or if there is something better...

You can pick these kits up for around 2k$ even. Not bad for what you're getting. Its a PSS10 coilover set with 2 damping settings pre-selected and switched electronically. So for example lets just say they picked level 3 out of the 10 damping settings for normal mode and say level 7-8 for sport mode. I like the electronic feature of this kit bc the car i had before my E92, has this feature from the factory and it was soo useful, i loved it.

Im looking for a suspension upgrade over the stock sport suspension to increase the handling. Im not too happy about the oe sport suspension. Hits hard on potholes and doesn't handle good enough for the comfort you sacrifice for it. So i want something that handles good and still rides good. Seems like this is the best of both worlds.

Now I'm not ruling out a conventional manual adjustable coilover/shock&strut setup. I wouldn't mind changing the sertings via the knob if they're easily accessible enough to do frequently.

So how about kits like:
Bilstein PSS10 - B16 kit with the normal damping control knobs?Ride quality? 1-10 adj.?
Bilstein PSS - hows the handling and ride comfort? No damping adjustment..
Koni Yellows w/ H&R or Eibach pro kit Springs - might be good enough for my needs?
Bilstein B12 kit- heard good things. No damping control or height adj.(not important rly).

And it was mentioned in a previous post.... Is it really true the Bilstein PSS kit is valved to the Sport Mode damping setting of the B16 R.C kit?

Doesn't KW make a DDC kit like this B16 R.C. kit?
-How is that in comparison to this? I feel like Bilstein is better quality... but not rly sure

Its a fun weekend car. But my area doesn't have great roads everywhere... So it can't be too stiff, but i do want a tight handling car. I have a stage 2 mhd flash, dp's, fmic going on, new Continental DWS06 tires, M3 control arms, upgraded bushings in some areas of rear suspension. LSD & Frt Sway Bar coming soon also. So the car has the power and has the right starting suspension mods, in my opinion, but now the weak link is the oem suspension.

Any other suggestions on suspension setups?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 04:29 AM   #46
E92 420
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Auto e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
Bumping this thread bc it has a great review and a TON of information on the Bilstein B16 - Ride Control kit...

I'm considering this kit bc I like the idea of easy push of a button to go from Normal mode to Sport mode for the handling. But also still have that comfortable side for the occasional DD I have to use my E92 335i for. Like the OP, my area also has a lot of bumps, potholes, speed bump, you name it lol.

Has anyone else purchased the Bilstein B16 R.C. Suspension setup? Looking for reviews or input on whether or not these are worth the $ or if there is something better...

You can pick these kits up for around 2k$ even. Not bad for what you're getting. Its a PSS10 coilover set with 2 damping settings pre-selected and switched electronically. So for example lets just say they picked level 3 out of the 10 damping settings for normal mode and say level 7-8 for sport mode. I like the electronic feature of this kit bc the car i had before my E92, has this feature from the factory and it was soo useful, i loved it.

Im looking for a suspension upgrade over the stock sport suspension to increase the handling. Im not too happy about the oe sport suspension. Hits hard on potholes and doesn't handle good enough for the comfort you sacrifice for it. So i want something that handles good and still rides good. Seems like this is the best of both worlds.

Now I'm not ruling out a conventional manual adjustable coilover/shock&strut setup. I wouldn't mind changing the sertings via the knob if they're easily accessible enough to do frequently.

So how about kits like:
Bilstein PSS10 - B16 kit with the normal damping control knobs?Ride quality? 1-10 adj.?
Koni Yellows w/ H&R or Eibach pro kit Springs - might be good enough for my needs?
Bilstein B12 kit- heard good things. No damping control or height adj.(not important rly).

And it was mentioned in a previous post.... Is it really true the Bilstein PSS kit is valved to the Sport Mode damping setting of the B16 R.C kit?

-How is that in comparison to this? I feel like Bilstein is better quality... but not rly sure

Its a fun weekend car. But my area doesn't have great roads everywhere... So it can't be too stiff, but i do want a tight handling car. I have a stage 2 mhd flash, dp's, fmic going on, new Continental DWS06 tires, M3 control arms, upgraded bushings in some areas of rear suspension. LSD & Frt Sway Bar coming soon also. So the car has the power and has the right starting suspension mods, in my opinion, but now the weak link is the oem suspension.

This is also a very good review and there are a couple more like this one

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590114

For me personally KW or Ohlins are the only way to go
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 11:04 PM   #47
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92 420 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post

So how about kits like:

This is also a very good review and there are a couple more like this one

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590114

For me personally KW or Ohlins are the only way to go
What KW kit would you go with V2's? Ohlins?

Is your car a DD?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #48
AirJoeZ32
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i N54

From your picture of rear spring when the car was jacked up, the upper coil are seems very close to each other. Do you find there is coil binding problem when the car sits on the ground?

If it does, which means the upper portion of springs are no damping function. Why I ask this because I found that my set come with this problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 04:17 AM   #49
delcbr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i DCT

I’am interested in the bilstein kit can you firm and soften the front and rear independently of each other or does it only allow you to soften and firm all 4 shocks together?
Appreciate 0