E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can't open Rear Door

11-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Silverstone over Black

Can't open Rear Door

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. This problem didn't seem to apply to any of the others.

OK. So I have an '06 E90 Sedan. All of the door lock functionality works fine (button on dash, key fob, interior handles, etc) except for my driver's side rear door. I am unable to unlock/open it at all. If I pull the interior door lever it doesn't unlock the door, so I can't get it open to take the door panel off to investigate/fix it. My guess is that the issue is with the Bowden cable running from the lever to the actuator. But, I don't know how to get to it all with the door locked/closed.

Can anyone give me any suggestions as to how I can get the door open so that I can actually fix it? I have a new cable on order, I just don't know how I can get the door open to swap it out.

TIA Folks!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep

Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

I believe the only way is to get the door card out. You can still get the door card out without opening the door. You just have to pry it out after removing all the screws. You will probably end up breaking some of the tabs though. Once the door card is out follow thread #51 in thread below.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=actuator
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #4
rev29k
Private
United_States
Rep

Do you think the issue is the actuator or the Bowden cable? I would think it's the cable since the interior lever won't work. But could that also be the actuator causing the problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev29k View Post
Do you think the issue is the actuator or the Bowden cable? I would think it's the cable since the interior lever won't work. But could that also be the actuator causing the problem?
I would lean towards the actuator too.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

+1 on the actuator. Helped replace the actuator in my friend's z3. Fixed the whole problem!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Built My Way
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...when not replacing gaskets

Garage List
Probably the actuator. Find the fuse # for the locking system (back of glove box for 330i?) and replace it with a 20A. This might at least get your door open. I ended up repairing a stuck motor in my actuator. GL
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

Is the child lock activated in that door? If not and the interior door lever doesn't unlock the door than i assume the lever is disconnected. If the lock actuator is faulty the lever is suppose to unlock the door mechanically.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #9
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

My rear door actuator recently broke and the door was stuck in the locked position. You can remove the door panel fairly easily after lifting out the back seat. Remove the screws and give it a solid pull from the handle. I found that much easier than trying to pry it off, it came off with all the clips intact.

Once the panel is off and the cable is removed from the door, find where the lock rod attaches to the actuator. You need to take a small screwdriver and rotate the wheel behind the lock rod attachment point. I lifted up the lock rod and put the screwdriver below it. Try to turn the wheel, it doesn't take much movement to unlock it. Then you can press down where the interior handle cable was attached and open the door.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #10
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
My rear door actuator recently broke and the door was stuck in the locked position. You can remove the door panel fairly easily after lifting out the back seat. Remove the screws and give it a solid pull from the handle. I found that much easier than trying to pry it off, it came off with all the clips intact.

Once the panel is off and the cable is removed from the door, find where the lock rod attaches to the actuator. You need to take a small screwdriver and rotate the wheel behind the lock rod attachment point. I lifted up the lock rod and put the screwdriver below it. Try to turn the wheel, it doesn't take much movement to unlock it. Then you can press down where the interior handle cable was attached and open the door.
Sorry to dig old post, but my rear door is now stuck locked.
I see the wheel you're talking about, but where do I turn it? I tried clockwise, counter clockwise and it still doesn't unlock. Both inside and outside lever spin freely, it's not catching on anything.
Can you elaborate a little more?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
Sorry to dig old post, but my rear door is now stuck locked.
I see the wheel you're talking about, but where do I turn it? I tried clockwise, counter clockwise and it still doesn't unlock. Both inside and outside lever spin freely, it's not catching on anything.
Can you elaborate a little more?
Working off of memory here so I might not get this 100% right. I also checked my original thread where I posted pictures of repairing my actuator, and it looks like the image host I used is no longer online so unfortunately I can't reference those.

I think the wheel can rotate multiple revolutions before it does something. I don't remember which direction is which, but after a few revolutions it should click something and unlock it. Depending on what's broken it may continue to rotate and never engage. In that case you may be able to manually move the black piece above it to unlock it. You can take a look at this thread, especially the ninth picture, I think, to see what you're looking at: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022395

Those pictures are for the front actuator, but the mechanism should be similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 10:04 PM   #12
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

i got it open!

for the future unlucky person that stumble across this post.
here's how to unlock the actuator.
there's a hole where the lock rod goes. (red circle in my picture, that i took from https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022395)
behind, you'll see a wheel (could be white/gray/yellow)
in front of the wheel, there's a black half-wheel.
you need to push that hump on the black wheel toward the latch (green arrow)
after despair for 2 days, i disassembled an older one that i've replaced.
it now literally took me 5 seconds with a flash light.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
aus889.50
      07-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #13
nerovega
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335okc View Post
for the future unlucky person that stumble across this post.
here's how to unlock the actuator.
there's a hole where the lock rod goes. (red circle in my picture, that i took from https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022395)
behind, you'll see a wheel (could be white/gray/yellow)
in front of the wheel, there's a black half-wheel.
you need to push that hump on the black wheel toward the latch (green arrow)
after despair for 2 days, i disassembled an older one that i've replaced.
it now literally took me 5 seconds with a flash light.
Dude thanks so much for making this post!! Took a small flat head, pushed on that hump where the green arrow starts, and BAM.....door opens
Appreciate 0