E90Post

Euromotive Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > FRM3 Resurrection Thread

03-03-2020, 06:23 PM   #375
danzio2020
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu_rod View Post
Just reading through the pages of this thread and I see a lot of different programmers mentioned and there are some hit and misses. What is a reliable source and programmer to pick up. Lots of mention of the Xprog clones and UPA USB Programmer clones but is there a reliable vendor. Looks like my FRM3 just took a dump last night after my wife left the lights on and her coworker jump the car. She called me and said the head lights stay on but no turn signals and the windows don't work. So it looks like I need to pull it. Thanks in advanced.
Clones will never produce reliable reads and leave you frustrated; especially the Xprog 5.5.5. A genuine UPA USB works flawlessly, however it costs quite a bit more than any china clones. I've repaired over a dozen modules with it and had no issues like I had with aliexpress clones. You can order it directly from the manufacture through the link below.

https://www.elrasoft.com/uusps.htm
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #376
Malibu_rod
Rep
Drives: Bmw #28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzio2020 View Post
Clones will never produce reliable reads and leave you frustrated; especially the Xprog 5.5.5. A genuine UPA USB works flawlessly, however it costs quite a bit more than any china clones. I've repaired over a dozen modules with it and had no issues like I had with aliexpress clones. You can order it directly from the manufacture through the link below.

https://www.elrasoft.com/uusps.htm
Thank you for the response don't mind spending the extra money on a genuine programmer as I've read its hit and miss. One question is there are a lot of buying options ($255.00 programmer only, not bad). Looks like I don't need any type of adapter right?, I just wire it off the D-Sub connector. I'm assuming they give you a data sheet with the pin outs listed. Then I just wire up the pins I need (BKGD, RESET, VDDR (5v), VSS). Thanks again for the link.

Last edited by Malibu_rod; 03-04-2020 at 08:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 11:34 AM   #377
danzio2020
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu_rod View Post
Thank you for the response don't mind spending the extra money on a genuine programmer as I've read its hit and miss. One question is there are a lot of buying options ($255.00 programmer only, not bad). Looks like I don't need any type of adapter right?, I just wire it off the D-Sub connector. I'm assuming they give you a data sheet with the pin outs listed. Then I just wire up the pins I need (BKGD, RESET, VDDR (5v), VSS). Thanks again for the link.
You are correct about not needing the adapter. The "Device Programmer S" option is the one you want. The programmer does not come with any accessories such as wires. The RS323/DB9 and wiring pinouts are listed in the manual, and they are also on the software (bkgd, reset, vss, and 5v are listed with their corresponding pin number in the software). To make things easier I purchased an RS323/DB9 breakout board (pictured below) and have the 4 wires attached to that.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #378
Malibu_rod
Rep
Drives: Bmw #28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzio2020 View Post
You are correct about not needing the adapter. The "Device Programmer S" option is the one you want. The programmer does not come with any accessories such as wires. The RS323/DB9 and wiring pinouts are listed in the manual, and they are also on the software (bkgd, reset, vss, and 5v are listed with their corresponding pin number in the software). To make things easier I purchased an RS323/DB9 breakout board (pictured below) and have the 4 wires attached to that.

Thanks again for the help I order the programmer and I was actually looking at that break out board yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #379
blue dragon
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 340i MPPSK - '17 F15 35d

Anyone in thy GTA (Greater Toronto Area) do this? I just had a buddy's FRM3 crash on coding. If you can flash an eeprom, PM me

| '17 X5 35D - Work horse - '17 X1 MSport - Wife's daily - '17 340i MSport - my daily
Appreciate 0