E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Driveline Vibration - Resolved

05-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
BadContrakt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335XI

Driveline Vibration - Resolved

Ever since I bought my 08 335xi with 132,000 miles I was experiencing a vibration - especially under load. This vibration could also be described as a deep rumble or growl that was more prevalent with harder acceleration. It was felt throughout the entire car... Pedals. Steering wheel. Seat... But most predominantly on my elbow that was touching the center console.

I had someone else drive my car with me in the passenger seat and that let me know FOR SURE it was driveshaft related. The whole vibration feeling all moved to the other side of my body and especially to my other elbow. It was clear at that point what needed to be done...

Installed a new driveshaft flex disc (guibo), new driveshaft carrier (center) bearing, and new transmission (transfer case) mount - NOTE: upon removal of these components, they all looked good to the eye. No dry rot, no cracks, no chunks of rubber missing... The carrier bearing rolled smoothly and did not have excessive wobble or play... Everything looked good. I replaced it all anyway.

Vibration gone.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone is chasing down a vibration and isn't replacing parts because they look good to the eye. Looks can be deceiving. Replace common wear items and be done with it! You might be surprised like I was!

Last edited by BadContrakt; 05-14-2019 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 2
Phil325i614.50
Donutz139.50
      05-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

I'll bet most of it was the guibo.
Appreciate 0