E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Bad start up when Engine is warm.

09-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
MarkoHF
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i

Bad start up when Engine is warm.

I have a 325d which has the same 335d engine you guys have in the US but with a smaller single Turbo.
Recently I've had a problem with warm start ups on my car.

The symptoms are:

1. When the car is cold (even on really low temps) the car start just like when it was new, I recently changed the glow plugs and the entire glow plug rellay, never had a problem with cold starts.

2. If I shut down the car in a minute or two after the cold start, the car always starts fine, no matter how much I try to shut it off and start it on it will always start fine.

3. If I shut the car down after the engine is fully warm and start it again, it has a 20% chance to misfire or stutter.

4. If I shut the car down after the engine is fully warm and start it again in more than 1 hour it has nearly 90% chance to misfire or stutter.

It goes like this, engine turns > engine tries to start > engine stutters > engine tries to start again > engine starts right on the second try always.

The stuttering happens only when the engine is cranking, it will try to pick up but it can't and misfires until it does start and then it runs perfectly fine, funny how if I start it again it will always start fine.

I don't live in the US so my options for mechanics are limited, my mechanics checked the glow plugs which are new, he also checked the starter which was fine and the checked the injectors with INPA, INPA showed 0.5 on all injectors which indicates that they are healthy.

But the symptom is still there. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
MarkoHF
Rep

Also forgot to mention that there are no error codes, only a few for airbag and aux which have always been there, no engine error codes.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #3
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoHF View Post
Also forgot to mention that there are no error codes, only a few for airbag and aux which have always been there, no engine error codes.
Have you changed your fuel filter recently?
      09-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #4
MarkoHF
Rep

Fixed it, changed the camshaft sensor and rebuild the starter, so far the issues are gone.
Appreciate 0