E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Bonnet and Boot repair

10-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #1
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

On my pre LCI E93, I need to have my bonnet and boot resprayed - the result of two failed DIY paint repair efforts - enough said.
Unfortunately I also got pretty severe hail damage to the boot, bonnet and roof. Of course I did not have comprehensive insurance.
My wife's 320 was damaged in the same hail storm and cost her insurance company $6k to be repaired. I recently got a cash price from a reputable Paintless dent removal guy of $2500 to take out all the dents. I have another quote from a good body shop of $1000 to respray the two panels.

I started thinking. I could get an aftermarket steel bonnet for $350 or a carbon fibre M3 style for $1200 and a carbon fiber CSL style boot for $800 (i haven't found a regular steel aftermarket boot.)

What is a better option, aftermarket panels or PDR dent removal. Where can I source aftermarket body panels?

In terms of the M3 bonnet, it looks pretty good but I am a bit worried about the fit.
In terms of the CSL boot, I think I like the look and my kids would love a lighter boot, but I have read that the boots are inclined to twist and are not very rigid. Anyone's thought or experiences are appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
M3 CF hood generally are poor fitment. Mine had a terrible gap between the hood and fenders, so I would stick with steel M3 hood tbh. I’m running a CF CSL boot from eurodivision and it’s been great. No twisting etc
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Oh best place to buy in Aust is eurodivision or Mars. Regardless they will need painting so put aside $1500 for paint and fitting unless you plan on installing yourself. Hood is easy to install. Boot is harder because you have a wiring loom for the tail lights that need to be feed through which is a massive pain in the ass
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
kookie
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

I would stick to steel for the e93 boot. I wouldn't risk any flexing when its an integral part of the folding roof. E90/E92 I would go lighter.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookie View Post
I would stick to steel for the e93 boot. I wouldn't risk any flexing when its an integral part of the folding roof. E90/E92 I would go lighter.
Good point Kookie
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 12:51 AM   #6
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Great feedback everyone. I am not seeing a lot of support for salvaging the hail damaged panels. I am kind of pleased. So it seems a steel M3 hood is a no brainer. Kookie points out that the boot is integral to the hard top. I agree but there is 200kg of frames that make the whole think work. I’ll take a look.

Bit of a strange question but here goes. Does the M3 hood without the M3 quarter panels look weird?

One more. Socket, didn’t you remove the CSL boot at some stage because you thought it was ugly? I recall some change.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
Great feedback everyone. I am not seeing a lot of support for salvaging the hail damaged panels. I am kind of pleased. So it seems a steel M3 hood is a no brainer. Kookie points out that the boot is integral to the hard top. I agree but there is 200kg of frames that make the whole think work. I’ll take a look.

Bit of a strange question but here goes. Does the M3 hood without the M3 quarter panels look weird?

One more. Socket, didn’t you remove the CSL boot at some stage because you thought it was ugly? I recall some change.
No M3 hood with stock panels looks fine
Nope CSL boot is one of my fav mods
I got rid of my Highkick spoiler because it was butt ugly. Only lasted 24 hrs before being replaced haha
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
schmick325
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M

FYI the M3 hood is aluminium and costs plenty.

I do PDR and fixed many BMW's in Sydney this year including E93's.

They do PDR well, esp boot and bonnet. The roof sections are a bit fiddly due to all the internal bracing but in the end doable.

The only thing with PDR is that the paintwork needs to be in a good condition in order to repair the dents properly, as the reflection of the lights we use is crucial. if the paintwork is dull or faded or not shiny, its harder to fix it properly. What's exactly wrong with your DIY paintwork?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmick325 View Post

They do PDR well, esp boot and bonnet. The roof sections are a bit fiddly due to all the internal bracing but in the end doable.

The only thing with PDR is that the paintwork needs to be in a good condition in order to repair the dents properly, as the reflection of the lights we use is crucial. if the paintwork is dull or faded or not shiny, its harder to fix it properly. What's exactly wrong with your DIY paintwork?
Quote:

I completely stuffed up a small bat shit blemish and a scratch. I tried blending metallic on a small area. I think the paint was the wrong colour and I ended up chasing the transition until i had two huge patches. Both panels need respects for sure. Too embarrassed to post inages😁
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 04:23 AM   #10
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I completely stuffed up a small bat shit blemish and a scratch. I tried blending metallic on a small area. I think the paint was the wrong colour and I ended up chasing the transition until i had two huge patches. Both panels need respects for sure. Too embarrassed to post inages😁
Got an M3 style bonnet and bumper. CSL boot and M3 style skirts. Any good places in Sydney to get them sprayed before Christmas?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
Vin_888
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue e92 325i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I completely stuffed up a small bat shit blemish and a scratch. I tried blending metallic on a small area. I think the paint was the wrong colour and I ended up chasing the transition until i had two huge patches. Both panels need respects for sure. Too embarrassed to post inages
Got an M3 style bonnet and bumper. CSL boot and M3 style skirts. Any good places in Sydney to get them sprayed before Christmas?
Where did you end up getting them from?
Appreciate 0