E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > CIC Firmware Upgrade on BMW E90

11-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
daikini
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 xDrive M-Sport -11

CIC Firmware Upgrade on BMW E90

Hi all bimmers =)
I would like to update my CIC since I never did, I just updated the software that you download at BMW.com/update. Do we have anyone here on the forum who has updated their CIC?

Last edited by daikini; 11-04-2019 at 07:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Not sure if you are asking who has installed the "update" from BMW.com or who has updated the program code on their CIC, which are two very different things. I've done both.

The BMW.com "update" just makes a few subtle changes. If you've looked at the PDF description on BMW.com, this "update" came out at about the time that iPhone iOS5 came out. Not exactly current. To update the program code, you need BMW standard tools installed on your laptop (to obtain the flashing program WinKFP) and most would say you need an ICOM interface. In fact, I've done the flash with a Bimmergeeks K/DCAN cable but be warned you can cause unrecoverable damage if you don't do things correctly.

In the end, there is nothing in this world that will make the CIC as functional as what's installed in a 2019 base model Nissan Versa. It's just too old. The real update would be to retrofit an NBT Evo headunit but that's a very complex and expensive job.
Appreciate 0