Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Cracked AG M359

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-25-2019, 11:24 PM   #1
nerovega
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i E90

So I was having a tire leak air for about a week. On the way to work one morning had a blowout. I had been adding air to keep pressure up till I got paid to buy a new tire but I'm sure the tire was already damaged and pressure was low. Anyway took it to discount to replace the tire and the new tire had almost no pressure after 2 days. I immediately think the wheel is cracked. I couldn't see a crack on the outside so I put one of my stock wheels back on and inspected the removed wheel. Sure enough it has a big ass crack......sucks. I think this massive pothole I hit a few days before I noticed the leak was the cause but not sure because the tire didn't pop. Discount didn't even tell me, just put a new tire on and sent me on my way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Shit I have the same wheels! We have craaaazy potholes here. At least it's winter so I've got the winter wheels on. Hopefully they fix our potholes here so I don't crack one of these, got them last summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Get it welded and you'll be good to go.

If the crack goes any further into the barrel you can forget about that wheel.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
nerovega
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Shit I have the same wheels! We have craaaazy potholes here. At least it's winter so I've got the winter wheels on. Hopefully they fix our potholes here so I don't crack one of these, got them last summer.
There aren't a lot of potholes in my area but this one was near a new bridge being built and I just didn't see it until it was too late. I've had the wheels for nearly 5 years and they have been through a few hard bumps and holes through the years. Not many but there have definitely been times I was really worried I damaged a wheel and nothing happened. This time I wasn't so lucky
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerovega View Post
There aren't a lot of potholes in my area but this one was near a new bridge being built and I just didn't see it until it was too late. I've had the wheels for nearly 5 years and they have been through a few hard bumps and holes through the years. Not many but there have definitely been times I was really worried I damaged a wheel and nothing happened. This time I wasn't so lucky
Good to hear they lasted a good 5 years! I also hit a bad pothole this summer and they looked fine and that was the last time I hit one

How did the finish last? I see you have the black ones as well, like me.

I noticed I already got 2 chips on one rear one that sucks but hopefully it doesn't get to worse haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
nerovega
Private
Rep

Quote:
Good to hear they lasted a good 5 years! I also hit a bad pothole this summer and they looked fine and that was the last time I hit one

How did the finish last? I see you have the black ones as well, like me.

I noticed I already got 2 chips on one rear one that sucks but hopefully it doesn't get to worse haha.
Honestly the finish on mine still look good. Besides the two curb rashes, I have one very small paint chip on the rear driver side. I had a wheel repair guy fix and repaint the curb rash about a year ago. You honestly cant tell they were ever curbed. My GF curbed one of my fronts against the raised concrete in the garage one day pulling out and I curbed a rear wheel pulling out of a parking lot one day. Pretty sure the wheel that cracked was the one I curb rashed. I just bought a new wheel last night.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
nerovega
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Get it welded and you'll be good to go.

If the crack goes any further into the barrel you can forget about that wheel.
You think that can be fixed?? I was thinking about it but didn't want to chance it cracking again and wasting my money. I already bought a new wheel so it doesn't matter, just curious.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerovega View Post
Honestly the finish on mine still look good. Besides the two curb rashes, I have one very small paint chip on the rear driver side. I had a wheel repair guy fix and repaint the curb rash about a year ago. You honestly cant tell they were ever curbed. My GF curbed one of my fronts against the raised concrete in the garage one day pulling out and I curbed a rear wheel pulling out of a parking lot one day. Pretty sure the wheel that cracked was the one I curb rashed. I just bought a new wheel last night.
Ahh ok thanks. Good to know it's fixable into a nice finish if they get to bad!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I had the exact same crack on my original style 189 wheel. Been welded for the past 4 years without issues, mind you these are 18" and were used exclusively for winter driving. So they seen bumps, holes, uneven surfaces without any issues.

I actually had to replace my front AG M359 wheel two summers ago as I drove right over a stone. This was not fixable.

Name:  1234.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  23.7 KB Name:  12345.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  39.6 KB
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
nerovega
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ahh ok thanks. Good to know it's fixable into a nice finish if they get to bad!
Yes sir!!
The one my gf did was only like 3 inches long. I was having her pull my out of my garage for some reason and I was right there. She cut the wheel too hard because my garage was set up in a way that you had to cut the wheel a little to avoid the fence along the breezeway. Guess she though she was pulling out of a parking spot. As soon as she touched the curb she heard it scrap for like half a second and pulled forward.
The one I did was a lot worse because it happen at a higher speed turning out of a McDonalds parking lot onto the frontage road. That one was about 12-15 inches long and a little wider. I was so mad at myself. It was the first time I had curbed checked with any aftermarket wheels I've owned.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
nerovega
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
I had the exact same crack on my original style 189 wheel. Been welded for the past 4 years without issues, mind you these are 18" and were used exclusively for winter driving. So they seen bumps, holes, uneven surfaces without any issues.

I actually had to replace my front AG M359 wheel two summers ago as I drove right over a stone. This was not fixable.
I've already bought a new one so i guess it doesn't matter, but good to know. Thanks.

Ouch that looks really bad.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
jcapone703
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

I bought a set of AG M359s a year ago and have already replaced 3 due to cracking, not very well made wheels in my opinion. Definitely looking into a new set of wheels before the summer
Appreciate 0