E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Changed my BMW E90 320D's Vibration Damper

03-20-2019, 04:05 AM   #1
Castomere
Rep
Drives: E90 320D

Changed my BMW E90 320D's Vibration Damper

So I have a BMW E90 that is making squeaky noise. The mechanic suggested I change my vibration damper. The original was too expensive, so I bought a cheap Chinese $100 replacement from eBay. It was a bit heavier than the original. Then when it was installed. The sound went back to normal. After around 4 days, there was a squeaky and loud rough noise. Upon having it checked by 2 mechanics, they said it was the belt tensioner. The first mechanic proved it to me by using a wrench and tightening the system, and the engine noise went away. So I bought a tensioner and had it replaced. Now there's another sound. It's very different from the sounds before. I had it checked again, and the whining sound was coming from the compressor, and said it needs to be replaced soon. The mechanic told me that I should just wait for it to die, and that the compressor wouldn't affect the engine, only the AC.

I was wondering. Did the heavy vibration damper cause this?

Or did the other parts start dying down because of the tension from the newly replaced vibration damper?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #2
josip
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320d

I've heard stories about dead AC compressors because there was no R134 in the system and they were spinning endlessly with empty system, but i doubt that heavy vibration damper caused any stress on the other peripherals. As long as there's no play if you try to move the pulley (as if it's running in perfect circular motion) everything should be fine. It might only affect the momentum of your crankshaft because it's heavier but only by a bit and I'd say it's build to last.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 07:11 AM   #3
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

If the most recent noise is coming from the compressor itself and not the compressor clutch or pulley, then no, the recently installed damper and tensioner did not cause the compressor to fail.

I hope you kept that original damper. It may be OK. I haven't had good luck with knock off parts lasting very long so putting another damper on may be in your future.