E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My PROcede V2 - status quo

02-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #23
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Better late than never
sflgator, are you getting an '09 335i?
      02-09-2008, 02:21 PM   #24
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
Better late than never
sflgator, are you getting an '09 335i?
Most likely, unless I'm completely blown away by the E92 M3. btw -- when are we running together? Why can't we seem to coordinate our schedules?

The plan right now is to get another E92 335i with all the options I currently have on mine + Active Steering + an oem E92 M3 rear lip spoiler + LSD (if BMW offers it as an oem option ).

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |

Last edited by sflgator; 02-09-2008 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #25
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Most likely, unless I'm completely blown away by the E92 M3. btw -- when are we running together? Why can't we seem to coordinate our schedules?
I know, I'm traveling right now, otherwise I'd be driving
      02-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #26
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod View Post
So far so good for me too. I'm still waiting for the weather to clear but I'm think that the V2 in stock configuration is all that I need. The power is perfect and pulls to red line better than any turbo car I've ever owned. (Buick GN, VW Passat, Audi S4) The power is very smooth and you can really notice the increase at WOT from 80 to 120 mph. This is by far the fastest car I've ever owned and I knew that the 335 would be the best performance car in its class after a few mods. Thanks for your input and continued support to us V2 users Eugen.
a theoretical question for you guys:
say CAR 1 with proceed at sea level is running at X rpm and 14psi of boost.
CAR 2 with proceed is at 7,000 feet running similar RPM and same boost of 14 psi,

are the turbos in car 2 working harder with the thinner air at altitude to make the same 14 psi boost?
...how about engine load in this scenario? is car 2 going to have more engine load?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 08:41 PM   #27
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 Red Sedan

Do a search and try to find the write-up that Shiv did on TMAP Sensors and how it relates to engine load. Basically, the N54 is equipped with a temperature compensated pressure sensor. This sensor will measure air density based on temperature and send this information to the ECU. The ECU makes some calculations and communicates the proper output to the turbo waste gate controls as well as timing and fuel ratio's. If Car 1 is equal to Car 2 and was able to produce equal RWHP no mater what the altitude....Car 2's turbos would be working harder at higher psi because of low air density. In your scenario...Car 2 would make less power mainly because I think the turbos are too small to compensate for the altitude; based on what I've been reading. From what I've read...a Stock car will try to produce 300 hp no mater what the conditions are so long as the engine is within its efficiencies.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2008, 10:23 PM   #28
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Midlife,

At our altitude, I don't think we'll be able to get close to 14psi with these turbos. I could be wrong though.... I'm currently only hitting peak boost of 12.5 and I'm at 92%.
      02-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #29
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
Midlife,

At our altitude, I don't think we'll be able to get close to 14psi with these turbos. I could be wrong though.... I'm currently only hitting peak boost of 12.5 and I'm at 92%.
slightly OT, but helpful?

i am at 8,500 feet, and u r at 6,500 feet...with a mild JB1 tune i can hit about 13psi at peak
..although the psi peak is not at the rpm i want (another long story for another thread) i am hitting it with a mild JB1 tune.

i really think an IC upgrade for u may help - i have it.
what convinced me to buy it was m&m at approx 5,000 feet showed that his
IC upgrade let him run without a LBT proceed map at that altitude, whereas before he could not.
that told me something, and i went out and got the RPi immediately.

as u know, there finally are 2 good cai out there now...i just ordered the UR.
IMHO, at altitude more cooler and therefore denser air has gotta help.

lastly, our turbos are working harder (i believe) at our altitudes,
why not spend $330 for turbo longevity and peace of mind with a forge DV upgrade.
senior, smart members like o-cha and eugene got them early,
your boost curves should be much smoother and boost should hold better.
i just ordered the DV also.

you already have the proceed, i think the 3 above mods can help u get the most out of it.
but hey, ask around, and make sure you that if you are are
spending additional $$ , it is the best way to support your proceed.

good luck and let me know when SHIV gives u the altitude fix....
at the right time, all us altitude guys should start a thread.
there are definitely a bunch of us around.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #30
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

The pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi and as you move up into the atmospher the pressure decreases. The higher you go the less pressure you have supercharging your turbo. Sort of like when I go skiing I can't breath. Cooler helps but it is the pressure that help make more power. (maybe because I'm out of shape)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #31
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post

The plan right now is to get another E92 335i with all the options I currently have on mine + Active Steering + an oem E92 M3 rear lip spoiler + LSD (if BMW offers it as an oem option ).
talking about m3. i saw someone from the state is selling his m3 e92 for 70K
      02-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #32
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

I've read that the OEM IC has enough area to support proper delta T for the current V2 HP's and an Upgrade will provide little ROI.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #33
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:

The pressure at sea level is 14.7 psi and as you move up into the atmospher the pressure decreases. The higher you go the less pressure you have supercharging your turbo. Sort of like when I go skiing I can't breath. Cooler helps but it is the pressure that help make more power. (maybe because I'm out of shape)
so a good cai like the UR
should be giving me more air and therefore more air pressure correct?

hope so, just spent 500 bucks + international airfreight
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #34
Lane
Several N54 cars, V1,3, V2.0.2, and V3.1
Rep
Drives: N54s

Quote:
I've read that the OEM IC has enough area to support proper delta T for the current V2 HP's and an Upgrade will provide little ROI.
Just have a look at AA or Helix IC data. IATs increase a lot with the stock IC and remain almost stable with both AA and Helix IC.

P.S. at altitude air is cooler, but not denser. It is less dense = low pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #35
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I'm glad everything's working well for you Eugen.
I too have noticed that the V2 is very smooth and the power delivery is extremely nice.
It bugged me just a little that the 1.47 seemed to have that "lag" when compared to stock. I really think that has something to do with the solinoids being bypassed. With the V2, the drive is just like stock except for the exponentialy increased power.

As fas as the DPs, I noticed a dramatic throttle response since the turbos spool so much easier now, but I will agree with Panoz that a before and after with tunes don't show that much power unless you take advantage fo teh DPs with some sort of map.

I really can't wait for my next project, which will be taking off the catted DPs replacing them with catless DPs and putting the HFCs inthe place fo the stock secondaries.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #36
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I'm glad everything's working well for you Eugen.
I too have noticed that the V2 is very smooth and the power delivery is extremely nice.
It bugged me just a little that the 1.47 seemed to have that "lag" when compared to stock. I really think that has something to do with the solinoids being bypassed. With the V2, the drive is just like stock except for the exponentialy increased power.

As fas as the DPs, I noticed a dramatic throttle response since the turbos spool so much easier now, but I will agree with Panoz that a before and after with tunes don't show that much power unless you take advantage fo teh DPs with some sort of map.

I really can't wait for my next project, which will be taking off the catted DPs replacing them with catless DPs and putting the HFCs inthe place fo the stock secondaries.
don´t u have a special proceed map for the dps?
if yes, did the dp gain multiply with the dp shiv map??

you and eugene seemed to have v good relations with shiv,
do you guys know when the dp map and the electronic ¨CEL simms FIX ¨ is avail to the public? it has been beta tested for a while now no?
and lastly, also how about the IC or cai maps?

i trust shiv is focusing on these NEEDED options and CUSTOMER FIXES,
....and not playing around with more whp configurations just yet.
what the news in the proceed camp these days?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #37
seven_227
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz View Post
The latest version is really good indeed. There is only an issue with hickups that randomly (and rarely) appears while accelerating from low rpms.

I dont know if i should be seriously conserned about this, as the car is generaly satisfying with V2.
Hey I got the same hickups too, but in my case the hickups are frequent, they started only after installing catless DPs. I hope Shiv comes out with the DPs map soon to solve this.
      02-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #38
Cadence
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

e.n335 posted:

Quote:
The last v1.47 version is very stable and when V2 has been released originally, it did not work as expected and caused some problems.

This changed in December 2007. Vishnu released the v2.0.2 12-29-07 map, which is very stable and supports most of the promised features, including the speed limiter defeat function. In January 2008 the v2.0.2 1-10-08 followed with corrected speed limiter defeat functionality.
This is very good news I have been using the V1.47 for over 5000mile of street and track driving with zero issues but I have been holding off on the V2 upgrade to make sure there are no bugs.

Is the V2.0.2 perfected?

How much peak boost should it be tuned for on 92 octane?

Quote:
The supporting hardware are Forge DV's ( installed )
I haven't been following any of the Diverter Valve posts. Is it confirmed that the stock 335i DVs leak at higher than stock boost levels? Who is selling a direct plug-N-play billet diverter upgrade for the N54? Are there any downsides with the billet ones (slower response, maintenance, etc)?

Keep up the great flow of technical information

Shiv/Vishnu/Procede
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #39
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post

I haven't been following any of the Diverter Valve posts. Is it confirmed that the stock 335i DVs leak at higher than stock boost levels? Who is selling a direct plug-N-play billet diverter upgrade for the N54? Are there any downsides with the billet ones (slower response, maintenance, etc)?

Keep up the great flow of technical information

Shiv/Vishnu/Procede
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102110
      02-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #40
Lane
Several N54 cars, V1,3, V2.0.2, and V3.1
Rep
Drives: N54s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
e.n335 posted:

This is very good news I have been using the V1.47 for over 5000mile of street and track driving with zero issues but I have been holding off on the V2 upgrade to make sure there are no bugs.

Is the V2.0.2 perfected?
V1 has more power at the typical daily driving revs and hence it feels clearly more powerful than V2. Map V2.0.3 was supposed to fix this, but it seems to be delayed. I was not pleased with V2, I did not feel the power. I sold my V2 (2.0.2) to a friend and purchased a new Procede installing V1.3, which is the most powerful V1 version available. I'm very happy with it, with no problems at all. 1.3 feels raw and aggressive. I just love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #41
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
talking about m3. i saw someone from the state is selling his m3 e92 for 70K
Yeah, it's probably not worth the $$, especially with all the options I need on it; I'd get everything I have on my car and then some.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #42
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
Just have a look at AA or Helix IC data. IATs increase a lot with the stock IC and remain almost stable with both AA and Helix IC.

P.S. at altitude air is cooler, but not denser. It is less dense = low pressure.
but for a given volume of air, the cooler air is more dense correct?
my thought on cai are more air from cai, hopefully the cai air is cooler (which would be more dense).

i could be wrong, but this is my take on a cold air intake
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #43
LambOfGod
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
but for a given volume of air, the cooler air is more dense correct?
my thought on cai are more air from cai, hopefully the cai air is cooler (which would be more dense).

i could be wrong, but this is my take on a cold air intake
The word is still out on that as well. Sounds like guys have been doing some Dyno testing with OEM air filter and with the entire cover off and air filter removed and result is hardly any increase in hp's. I'm really shocked at this but from what I've read the CAI, DP's, Exhaust, and IC are all deminishing returns because the Stock Stuff is so efficient. I think the DV's may be a good thing because of leakage but I'm going to make sure before I buy them. For me, the only reason you would buy all these upgrade is for the Coolness factor or you've upgrade turbo's. Turbo's aren't available yet. Add all this stuff up and your looking at $4k for less than 20HP. A sweet set of lightweight wheels would be a better ROI. Exhaust would be cool. Just say'n.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #44
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
.... Sounds like guys have been doing some Dyno testing with OEM air filter and with the entire cover off and air filter removed and result is hardly any increase in hp's.

For me, the only reason you would buy all these upgrade is for the Coolness factor or you've upgrade turbo's. Turbo's aren't available yet.

Add all this stuff up and your looking at $4k for less than 20HP. A sweet set of lightweight wheels would be a better ROI. Exhaust would be cool. Just say'n.
i do not know where you come up with your assumptions.
regarding just your first point:
a/ terry´s dynos show 10 whp gain with no filter and airbox lid removed.
b/ bmw just came out with a Hp intake with ¨25% more flow¨to qoute bmw
c/ shiv has repeated said that the stock intakes are a restriction at 360 hp.

i was going to rebutt each of your ASSumptions, but no sense in getting riled up...

....so the many dozens of us forum members who bought dps, IC, etc are not getting any whp but think we are, and now we feel more cool ???
....and all these mods add up to 20 whp? go search some threads and read their dynos.

IMHO, if you do not want to mod your car, or do not have the money, that is o.k.
but to try to belittle the guys trying to improve their rides is uneeded peinis envy.

oh, btw i already did lightweight rims and non runcraps. total unsprung weight savings of 60 pounds =
approx 120 pounds passenger weight = approx 10 hp.

of all my mods this was the LEAST cost effective per whp $....so much for your thinking.
that was the ONLY mod i did that even remotely resembled the cool u mentioned (new rims look much nicer).

have a nice day

Last edited by midlife; 02-10-2008 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0