E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Replacing the battery for an e90

01-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #23
polonus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 ESS VT2-575; 14 F30 328i

Why some DIY videos, like that one:

says that is necessarily to supply electricity from another source (battery or charger) to maintain all the settings before disconnecting the old battery? Did I miss something?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #24
NGEE
Fuck it dude, let's go bowling.
Rep
Drives: 1M

Thanks. I replaced mine today - $179 from getbmwparts. The OEM Exide replacement is several inches shorter than the original - cool how the lock-down plate accommodates several sizes.
      07-22-2014, 04:14 AM   #25
Neill222
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

You have to register the battery with software!!!! So it knows everything about the battery!!!! Otherwise there can be problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #26
wpetering
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

The DIY video shows the Negative terminal being removed first, then the Positive. Someone posted a "WARNING" comment saying the positive terminal needed to be removed first. I've seen another DIY battery video where the user does negative, then positive.
I would think you want to maintain your ground hence the reason to remove negative last. So i'm confused. What's the correct order?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #27
Needler56
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg 325i

I replaced my battery with an AGM and had it registered. In the two weeks I had it unregistered, there were a list of faults that passed thru the system during that time, none fatal. After registration, my starts were much smoother (not like a tank), shifting smoother, stereo louder, etc due to everything now getting full power.

On another note, I've read that AGMs are sealed and don't need venting. The battery has ports at each terminal, so does it in fact need to vent? I have the car's vent tube hooked up to one port leaving the other one open; seal the other port?
      03-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #28
Debacle of Mass Eruption.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e90

Exclamation Problem

I followed the steps, thanks for the DYI BTW, and replaced my battery with an AGM Bosch battery. I got ABS/TRANSMISSION/AIRBAG lights on my dash on my car when the battery was going out, and they remained even after replacing it. Plus, this morning, my battery died, or at least it did according to my car.
Any idea on what it might be?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #29
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debacle of Mass Eruption. View Post
I followed the steps, thanks for the DYI BTW, and replaced my battery with an AGM Bosch battery. I got ABS/TRANSMISSION/AIRBAG lights on my dash on my car when the battery was going out, and they remained even after replacing it. Plus, this morning, my battery died, or at least it did according to my car.
Any idea on what it might be?
Epidemic?
My battery failed last night.
Replaced with an Autozone AGM H8.
Registered it using the Carly software and OBDII dongle.

Did you register your battery?
Did you check and make sure the old battery was indeed bad?
Have you checked voltage on the new battery under load?
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 05:52 AM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Okay I know this post is ancient, but I have to comment. The OP made a big deal out of wearing goggles because batteries can explode! He even stated have a professional replace the battery because it can explode. LOL

Yes batteries can explode, but only under conditions where the battery is being charged and there is a problem with the venting system and a spark is introduced. Considering the battery is being replaced when it is not in a state of charge it can't explode while replacing it using this procedure. Batteries only make explosive gasses when being charged.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #31
A4Andre
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Great write-up and many thanks! Changed my battery today on my '08 328xi. Some small differences with a plug and the clamp that holds the battery down, but same basic process. OEM BMW battery was an AGM (black top)and I replaced it with a Duralast H8-AGM from autozone. Registered the battery with a Foxwell NT510 scanner loaded with BMW software. Interestingly, when I started the car I did get errors all over the place from DSC being disabled, transfer case error, and every light being faulty. Drove the car around the block and the DSC error went away and everything was working. Cleared the codes and all is good. I believe the battery registration worked because the new one reads more amps on the Foxwell scanner when I check the registry.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #32
orion_squall
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92

Hi,

I got a replacement battery from the dealer which shows 90AH @ 20A. They were certain that it was the replacement for a 2007 E92 OEM battery which is 90AH, 720CCA.

I was able to use tool32 to register the batter and verify with INPA that a battery was registered at the exact milage I have now. Procedure wise, everything seems ok.

However, 4 days after the new battery, when I did a routine inspection of my own DIY, I noticed that there is a weak smell of egg/metal in the trunk. Visually the battery and its +/- nodes and BMW red power module looks new. Battery standby voltage is 12.5V and 14.7V when car is idle.

I check the venting tube, it is well attached and not squeezed. But when I put my finger on the venting hole I can sell the egg/metal smell on my finger.

This worries me. I believe that only a over charged or dieing batter can emit this smell.

Can a brand new battery emit H / S gas at all? I am really not sure what went wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 03:40 AM   #33
Monger007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E-90 320D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Andre View Post
Great write-up and many thanks! Changed my battery today on my '08 328xi. Some small differences with a plug and the clamp that holds the battery down, but same basic process. OEM BMW battery was an AGM (black top)and I replaced it with a Duralast H8-AGM from autozone. Registered the battery with a Foxwell NT510 scanner loaded with BMW software. Interestingly, when I started the car I did get errors all over the place from DSC being disabled, transfer case error, and every light being faulty. Drove the car around the block and the DSC error went away and everything was working. Cleared the codes and all is good. I believe the battery registration worked because the new one reads more amps on the Foxwell scanner when I check the registry.
I have a Foxwell NT510, can you give the procedure I can follow when it comes the time to install a new battery
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #34
sheikh2
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 328i

Good post, what does that mean "get your battery registered"? Is it a special synchronization, or literally mean register it with the manufacturer, for say warranty purposes?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #35
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Dealership told me today at my $77 oil change that I need a battery which with Registration would cost $492.95

I assume I can do this myself right? I noticed the OP spent $300 on a new battery that he installed himself. If that is the case then $492 at the dealership ain’t too bad.

What to do?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #36
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I went to Autozone for a direct replacement battery for $170 and downloaded Carly for BMW for $54 plus battery registering in app purchase for $9.99. There are so many other coding options that can be utilized, so I think that it’s smart to DIY.
      03-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #37
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I went to Autozone for a direct replacement battery for $170 and downloaded Carly for BMW for $54 plus battery registering in app purchase for $9.99. There are so many other coding options that can be utilized, so I think that it’s smart to DIY.
Did you buy an Exide "white" battery from Autozone?

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #38
A4Andre
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Andre View Post
I have a Foxwell NT510, can you give the procedure I can follow when it comes the time to install a new battery
I dont remember the exact steps but do a google search. Youcanic.com has a youtube video with the steps
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 10:34 PM   #39
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Did you buy an Exide "white" battery from Autozone?
I believe it was the H8-DLG which is the middle grade and it’s black in color. It’s 900 cold cranking amps and 1000 cranking amps.
      03-23-2018, 05:54 AM   #40
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh2 View Post
Good post, what does that mean "get your battery registered"? Is it a special synchronization, or literally mean register it with the manufacturer, for say warranty purposes?
The engine control unit varies the charging rate of the battery and compensates as the battery ages over time. When you change the battery with a new battery of the same type and electrical rating, you should register the battery as new with the engine control unit (ECU) so the ECU knows there is a new battery in the car and that it is charged correctly. If you change battery types or electrical rating, you must code the ECU for the new battery as well.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 05:56 AM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dealership told me today at my $77 oil change that I need a battery which with Registration would cost $492.95

I assume I can do this myself right? I noticed the OP spent $300 on a new battery that he installed himself. If that is the case then $492 at the dealership ain’t too bad.

What to do?
Wait, you are just not going to get a new car since the E90 is disposable?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #42
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Wait, you are just not going to get a new car since the E90 is disposable?
nah. I can DIY anything (and have been DIYing for over a decade) so any BMW I have is not disposable.

You misunderstood my videos.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:38 AM   #43
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
nah. I can DIY anything (and have been DIYing for over a decade) so any BMW I have is not disposable.

You misunderstood my videos.
So seriously, you post videos on the internet about how people come to you for advice on owning BMWs and modding them and DIY'ing them, yet you just posted to ask if you can replace the battery in your E90 yourself after the dealer recommended it WHILE YOU HAD YOUR CAR IN FOR AN OIL CHANGE?

One of the first things a young car owner learns how to do is oil changes; it's literally the 1st step into the DIY world (other than maintaining tire pressure). With the E90, battery replacement and registration threads in quantity sit a close 2nd to oil threads on this forum as a discussion topic.

Your video on the E90 spare tire just made me laugh with all the disinformation spewed in it, and I only got through the first few minutes up to the point where you say it's harder to fill a tire with air when the tire is sitting on the ground vs. jacked up off the ground? A physics class may come in handy for you.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-24-2018 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #44
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So seriously, you post videos on the internet about how people come to you for advice on owning BMWs and modding them and DIY'ing them, yet you just posted to ask if you can replace the battery in your E90 yourself after the dealer recommended it WHILE YOU HAD YOUR CAR IN FOR AN OIL CHANGE?
I did batteries myself on my E36 (when it hit 150,000 miles at 10 years old) and my E46 (when it was about 9 years old and 80,000 miles and I even changed the alternators/voltage regulators on both cars myself).

I am fairly new with my E90 and it is barely 7 years old and has 50,000 miles so excuse my surprise that the E90 battery didn't last as long as my older BMWs. Also I'm NOT familiar with registering batteries and don't know why the dealership charges close to $500 for this. Hence why I came to E90post and hence why I searched and hence why I am here. Not sure why that is strange for you to grasp!

Quote:
One of the first things a young car owner learns how to do is oil changes; it's literally the 1st step into the DIY world (other than maintaining tire pressure). With the E90, battery replacement and registration threads in quantity sit a close 2nd to oil threads on this forum as a discussion topic.
I don't touch oil and I don't do oil changes. I've said it for 14 years on all the BMW forums. It's always been that way! That is my personal choice and not a flaw of my character or demonstration of DIY inexperience. I don't live in your cookie cutter world and I should have the freedom of choice to DIY what I want regardless of your opinions on what a young car owner should be doing!

Quote:
Your video on the E90 spare tire just made me laugh with all the disinformation spewed in it, and I only got through the first few minutes up to the point where you say it's harder to fill a tire with air when the tire is sitting on the ground vs. jacked up off the ground? A physics class may come in handy for you.
...when using a portable air kit it the kit fills up a 'partially' deflated tire quicker with the tire off the ground that with the weight of the car on the tire. That is from EXPERIENCE and not the need of having a degree.
(BTW I have a undergrad college B.Arts degree with 3 years of science and a Masters of Science in Environmental Engineering.)

There is no misinformation in my BMW videos since they are mainly experience based and if there is a mistake then usually I will make a follow up video for it HENCE why my Ashtray Delete E90 video has a first video and a second follow up video where I correct myself.

I been doing DIYs and Projects successfully for 14 years with three BMW cars and with the tremendous support of many members and people who follow me!

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/gar...York/delmarco/

So I don't need you to like me, I don't need you to watch my videos, I don't need you to read my comments. More importantly I don't need you to do anything for me. You seem to be a self appointed genius and self proclaimed expert on all thing BMWs and Automotive so I will leave you be to do that.

I also refuse to argue with you since you may just be Russian Troll Bot and not a real person.

Enjoy your weekend comrade!

Last edited by delmarco; 03-24-2018 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0