E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Introducing OpenFlash Tablet

04-05-2014, 11:56 PM   #1321
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait View Post
I like the open flash tablet. It's a nice bridge between cobb level hand holding and the bbflash diy-ism, at a price point right in the middle. The boost up high issue is silly, who with stock turbos shifts after 6k again? Slow cars, that's right. And if you end up needing the boost there someday, options most definitely exist.
Slow? I let my car auto shift at redline in sport mode (automatic) and still ran a 12.1 with my 335i xdrive and Openflash tablet.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #1322
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
Slow? I let my car auto shift at redline in sport mode (automatic) and still ran a 12.1 with my 335i xdrive and Openflash tablet.
Perfect example of how to not drive an automatic 335i that's tuned. I know this concept is foreign for automatic drivers, and in some ways offensive, but you are going to have to touch your car and learn how to shift it manually. I know, it's dirty, complicated, and really hard to do. It's like you have to do something other than enjoy the ultimate driving experience. I know you didn't buy your BMW to row your own shifts, but until you learn how, your car will be slower with you driving it than it's capable of. So yes, it's slow. Problem is worse with OFT and BB flash alone compared to similar setups from competing tunes.... but once you learn to drive, it's not important anyway.

Or maybe your XI is that one that accidentally got substantially larger turbos from the factory... you lucky bastard!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #1323
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8bait View Post
Perfect example of how to not drive an automatic 335i that's tuned. I know this concept is foreign for automatic drivers, and in some ways offensive, but you are going to have to touch your car and learn how to shift it manually. I know, it's dirty, complicated, and really hard to do. It's like you have to do something other than enjoy the ultimate driving experience. I know you didn't buy your BMW to row your own shifts, but until you learn how, your car will be slower with you driving it than it's capable of. So yes, it's slow. Problem is worse with OFT and BB flash alone compared to similar setups from competing tunes.... but once you learn to drive, it's not important anyway.

Or maybe your XI is that one that accidentally got substantially larger turbos from the factory... you lucky bastard!
Condescending with a touch of sarcasm I see. Very original and mature. I was well aware that shifting at 6000rpms was better due to the power falling off. I was just sharing that even without shifting manually you can still run a respectable time. I am not sure how you know so much about automatic drivers. Please enlighten us with more generalizations.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #1324
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Condescending with a touch of sarcasm I see. Very original and mature. I was well aware that shifting at 6000rpms was better due to the power falling off. I was just sharing that even without shifting manually you can still run a respectable time. I am not sure how you know so much about automatic drivers. Please enlighten us with more generalizations.
lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 05:48 PM   #1325
V8bait
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt

Quote:
A brand new 328i can run a high 13 stock. That's a respectable time too, isn't it? Still doesn't make your argument any more valid. Shift the car right when you're at the track, it's not that hard bro. Why are you arguing about it if you already know better? You just enjoy wasting runs at the track? You're the one advocating how fast your XI is just letting it shift out of the powerband...

My generalizations aren't towards automatic owners in general, just you, that's why I quoted you, apologies if I offended automatic drivers who don't make useless arguments
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #1326
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
V8 bait may be right, from a highway pull with alpina tcu on oft stg1 it seems quite slow past 2nd gear letting it shift at 7100... Although isn't 6000 a bit early considering gear multiplication?

More importantly does someone understand the torque to load 1/2/3 limits? Whenever I make adjustments to tps or load I hit the wall and get limp mode with 4wd/dsc... is there a reason I can't just set those tables to 800nm across the board?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #1327
elite.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

60 pages.....sigh.

So I was searching jb4 stuff and openflash came up. I have been researching tunes, mainly cobb and jb4 g5. I find this to be an interesting solution and the price is right. Doesnt seem to be as much talk overall (aside 60 pages here lol) when comparing. I really like the flash vs piggy back and I like the datalogging and it all contained on the device with gauges, etc. For a basic guy running 91/93 and DCI never and possibly in FMIC and AT BEST downpipes do I really need anything more? Cobb is pretty, but so is the price and the main "like" is the save/loading speed. For a newb should I just bite the bullet? If anyone is willing to let me pick their brain I would appreciate it. Going on an e93 2009 n54. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #1328
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
60 pages.....sigh.

So I was searching jb4 stuff and openflash came up. I have been researching tunes, mainly cobb and jb4 g5. I find this to be an interesting solution and the price is right. Doesnt seem to be as much talk overall (aside 60 pages here lol) when comparing. I really like the flash vs piggy back and I like the datalogging and it all contained on the device with gauges, etc. For a basic guy running 91/93 and DCI never and possibly in FMIC and AT BEST downpipes do I really need anything more? Cobb is pretty, but so is the price and the main "like" is the save/loading speed. For a newb should I just bite the bullet? If anyone is willing to let me pick their brain I would appreciate it. Going on an e93 2009 n54. Thanks!
I'm in the same boat, but there's some firmware issues and possibly table issues... nobody seems to know how to work with the torque to load tables... overall it works well, it needs to mature and more people need to understand the tables better
      05-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #1329
Dcara
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if its safe for me to run the stage 2 map. I have dci, we charge pipe with tail bov, and vrsf catless downpipes.
I'm running the stock inter cooler but I love in Alberta Canada. Our temps are not very hot.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #1330
Hokie_BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

I'm running a modified Stage 2 map with dp's, intake and exhaust and haven't had any issues. Temps are starting to creep up here in the south though so a FMIC will be ordered in the next week
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 05:47 PM   #1331
rantexan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Can the BMW tablet be used for a Subaru BRZ? I am selling mine that I bought for my 335i but got this question from someone with a Subaru. Does it have different firmware?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #1332
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantexan View Post
Can the BMW tablet be used for a Subaru BRZ? I am selling mine that I bought for my 335i but got this question from someone with a Subaru. Does it have different firmware?
Thanks!
Yes it can. I don't know the details but I did read that someone mentioned it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #1333
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantexan View Post
Thanks!
Interesting. I guess Shiv took OFT into the BRZ world when he abandoned this platform.
Appreciate 0