E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FrankenTurbo

Closed Thread

02-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #23
bigdaddyaaron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

In Doug's defense, nothing he said was about announcing a product; he's just sharing his experience in feeling out the n54. There are much more useless threads on this forum that could be complained about. This thread should serve as a placeholder on troubleshooting and not just making an account and firing off whatever stupid thoughtless question pours out of your rectum- like so many other e90 thread starters.
Appreciate 5
      02-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyaaron View Post
In Doug's defense, nothing he said was about announcing a product; he's just sharing his experience in feeling out the n54. There are much more useless threads on this forum that could be complained about. This thread should serve as a placeholder on troubleshooting and not just making an account and firing off whatever stupid thoughtless question pours out of your rectum- like so many other e90 thread starters.
What are you talking about man? He even named the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #25
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
What are you talking about man? He even named the turbo.
what did he name it?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #26
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
what did he name it?
did anyone read the initial post? go back one page, start at the top.
Appreciate 1
e92_boost224.00
      02-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #27
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
did anyone read the initial post? go back one page, start at the top.
You mean FrankenTurbo?
Thats the name of his company. Check out their website, they already have a number of turbo kits on the market

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #28
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

ffs...he calls it the F23bi or something.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #29
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You mean FrankenTurbo?
Thats the name of his company. Check out their website, they already have a number of turbo kits on the market
I can't believe you still didn't read the post... jesus dude!
Appreciate 2
e92_boost224.00
      02-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #30
bigdaddyaaron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Quote:
I can't believe you still didn't read the post... jesus dude!
Yeah I don't know how I missed that lol
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #31
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Well I see some pretty decent reviews on Audi/VW forums. Think someone even did 35K + w/o issues. So if these turbo upgrades can offer good reliability, at a competitive price, they can have my money.

Last edited by ritzzzzzwik; 02-06-2016 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #32
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

Quote:
You mean FrankenTurbo?
Just damn! I guess u missed it in the 30 paragraphs of information that dates back to ISO jb4. In more breaking news he discovers 6 cylinder timing monitoring. Do tell what old information about the jb4 he'll enlighten us with on the next post lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:20 AM   #33
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Kind of feel like this summarizes this thread...

Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 01:37 AM   #34
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
With all due respect OP, we appreciate another potential offering coming into this space- but the remedial level discussion about the miracles of Juice Box were covered years ago. If I were you, I would research the hell out of this platform and follow the advice of those before me about the full capabilities with backend flashing/bolt on modifications and fueling restrictions before posting any further. Also be aware that the N54 turbo upgrade space is becoming more and more competitive every day. We gladly welcome another vendor to the space, as its great for us customers, but it will require that you differentiate yourself thru the turbo offerings, your customer service or a combination of both. This may be off topic for the thread, but if someone were really looking to make waves on this platform, either developing an upgraded (legitimate) HPFP or finding a way to crack into the programming of the 6AT transmission would be the next areas for major advancement and potential $$$.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 01:43 AM   #35
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

I don't think Franke will produce any sh*t to this forum after seeing those assholes
      02-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #36
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I think the best way to differentiate your product is in terms of product reliability and customer service. Product reliability will be tough to demonstrate until you have a host of people running your turbos for 60k or more miles, so good luck. Always welcome more competition though and thanks for adding your input.
      02-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #37
Glennyd
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335

Respect

First of all I would like to welcome you guys to the forum. But I would like to also apologize for the people that use their words so loosely, people should respect the others taking interest in our platform. The market is somewhat saturated but I believe there is plenty a room for fresh eyes. Best of luck to you guys
Appreciate 4
feuer4275.50
      02-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #38
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhagursoy
I don't think Franke will produce any sh*t to this forum after seeing those assholes
Seriously.....do you guys see the amount of other useless threads generated on this forum?

The potential outcome of this thread is a new turbo system. What is the problem with that?

Okay, so yes this topic has been covered, who gives a shit. Reading threads like these is FAR better than reading threads about new members asking what mods to do first, why am I misfiring, should I buy this salvage car?
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)
Appreciate 3
      02-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #39
doug@frankenturbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: the world mad with turbo-osity

I glossed over the installation process for the JB4, so I need to cover that. But here's a look at the final installation: a simple USB line that allows seamless interface to a MacBook Pro running Parallels. In multiple logging sessions I have not seen a single crash or connection drop. This is the most stable connection to a controller I've ever experienced. Kudos to Burger Motorsports.

Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #40
Grand_hustle17
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

It is lol
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #41
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhagursoy View Post
I was just about to make a remark about this...

In all seriousness, if I was a new business coming into the forums and seeing how the market treated newcomers trying to offer products, I'd be like you know what guys, I'm all set and I'll take the offering elsewhere.

Keep in mind, more options, means more competitive price point and you push the manufacturers to make a quality product and set themselves apart.

I've actually remarked on this a few times over the years about how manufacturers that wanted to enter the platform were pushed away by the lack of disrespect and unappreciative attitude.

I get the intro concerns but cmon guys, think about it.

Doug, I'd have to agree slightly on the qualms about getting people up to speed on the JB4 and your findings. It's a popular piggyback but I'm sure folks would like to see more about your turbo's and less about the JB4. If you are still trying to get up to speed on the JB4 wait till you find out there are flash tunes available... With thousands upon thousands sold and being in the market since 2007-2008, it is pretty old news.
Appreciate 6
      02-07-2016, 04:58 AM   #42
infidel335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Does anyone know what mods I need to beat an M3? Haha, sorry, I had to make sure we hit all the played out cliché threads on this site.

I too would be interested in seeing what the turbos offer compared to what is currently available for this motor. Doug, please disregard the trolls and show us what you got!

335xi: JB4 G5 | KW V1s | muffler delete | BMS DCI | VRSF 7" FMIC | VMR v703 18x8 | and your mom
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #43
Sean978
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT SGM

We have a guy who is trying to get his foot in the door to a very new platform for his company. He seems to be doing his due diligence in understanding the tuners and products most of us are using and how they work. He's not just slapping together shit off ebay and repackaging it and blowing smoke up our ass about when that product will be available or any type of power figures.

All of us at some point were very green behind the ears when it came to our own cars and understanding how to use the products properly. He's doing his homework and posting to get feedback. If none of this shit is new or useful to you, fucking move along and wait for a post that is. Someone out there right now is reading this thread and probably learning a thing or two. He admits right away that tuning is not his forte`. Give him a break and let's see where this all leads us. If he releases a shitty product that underperforms or isn't reliable then give him hell. Until then I fail to see the problem with a manufacturer/vendor trying to better their understanding of the current state of affairs as it was of the n54 platform.

Bunch of fucking savages we all are here. Welcome to the community, Doug. lol.
Appreciate 15
mashimarho2110.50
      02-08-2016, 03:32 AM   #44
doug@frankenturbo
United_States
Rep
Drives: the world mad with turbo-osity

Earlier in the thread I expressed an interest in the JB4's Map 5. This map, with its responsiveness to engine knock and other readings from the car's DME, opens the door to leverage the performance benefits of hardware mods or higher octane fuel. If the sensor readings coming back from the DME look acceptable, the piggyback controller will send higher boost duty signal to the turbos than it does on the maps I've already tested. This is a great functionality, but for the purposes of my testing it assumes a bit more control than I want it to. This isn't to say the sophisticated PID control of Map 5 is somehow lacking. In fact, I think it's fantastic for consumers. It's simple and its safe.

But safe and simple aren't what I'm after. So for that reason I've turned straight to Map 6. In Burger's literature, they describe Map 6 this way:
Map 6: User defined map generally only used for diagnostics or troubleshooting.
Map 6 allows the user to hard-wire boost levels by RPM. At first I thought, well, this is just a crude way to manipulate boost duty. But now that I've explored it I now see it is in fact a terrific way to control actual boost. Not just duty, where you have to hope your values will net the PSI you want. No. Map 6 accepts the boost levels you want and then the JB4 controller handles all the calculations to give you the exact result you want. So don't be misled by the spare-looking interface. This functionality is killer for diagnostics and testing.

Before getting too excited about this, I was mindful of the possible repercussions of taking command of boost levels. Get too aggressive and the risk of engine knock gets very real. But I have activated the JB4's ability to monitor ignition timing corrections over cylinders 2 through 6. So as long as I kept a close eye on those values in the data logs, I was ready to experiment.

Here is a screenshot of the User Adjustment tab in the JB4's computer interface.

I defined boost levels which were approximately 2psi higher than I was seeing in the data logs from Map2. Here is the result, with commanded and actual levels for the before/after:

Almost perfect registration between commanded and requested. But at this increased level, how are the ignition advance values? Here they are, grouped with several other data points.

Intake air temperatures are getting quite high now. The stock intercooler is struggling even in ambient temps around 45˚F. But the ignition advance corrections are trending very similarly to where they were on the lower-boost Map2:

But power-wise, this map does nothing. It's at virtual parity for time to RPMs with Map2.

Are we hitting a wall with the hardware? Are the higher IATs simply negating the raised boost levels? To find out, I doubled down on the boost level settings, raising them again:

Gritting my teeth, I then collected a full third gear data log. This time the car felt faster. Undoubtedly strong. I have no more complaints about glacial times from 4200-6500. And here are the logs. First an overlay of the new boost values compared to the previous versions:

We can see that revision #2's boost profile dovetails from the earlier version after 5000rpms, exactly as the mapping asks. And here are the other data taken from this rev2 pull:

Ignition advance corrections show a hit during boost onset, but then the ECU slowly moves to restore mapped settings afterward. Yes, there are a couple smaller hits to the corrections data, but by the end of the pull virtually all of the retarded values have been restored. That's pretty impressive considering the toasty hot intake temperatures.

But what about power? Did we gain anything over what Map 2 delivers off the shelf? Have a look:

3.75 seconds, down from 3.98. And when the Time To RPMs is graphed, this difference is pretty easy to spot:

So with careful application of customized boost mapping, there is more power to be had on stock hardware. But I feel the car has reached the hardware limits point where testing of upgraded parts can start. Clearly the intercooling is candidate #1. And we've got a nice prototype from one of our suppliers waiting in the wings now. With luck we can get that fitted this upcoming week. We also have sensors and gauges ready to fit onto the stock exhaust system. With their data we can have some insight into the design bottleneck (or not) of the stock exhaust system.

Lastly, it has been a busy week and so I have not had the chance to read the many responses posted here. I will do so shortly, and reply back where I think responses will benefit the thread.

Thx

Doug Harper
FrankenTurbo

Appreciate 3
Closed Thread