E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > OFFICIAL Canada Group-buy for Dashboard Cameras

06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #133
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rd View Post
Actually that's a picture of the Power Magic PRO.
Oh sorry, here you go:

Now your point was..? Still looks different than the picture shown in blackboxmycar.com
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #134
planetscott
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetscott View Post
I also was expecting the Power Magic box. You can pick up the Power Magic Pro on eBay for around $50 including shipping, which is why I was kind of surprised that it wasn't included for the price.

I've changed my install to use one of the fuses recommended in the installation video - I'll see if it makes any difference...
I checked this again, and sure enough I still have about a 2 minute 30 second gap between when I start the car and when it starts recording again.
      06-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #135
sw0op
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
I also was expecting the Power Magic box. You can pick up the Power Magic Pro on eBay for around $50 including shipping, which is why I was kind of surprised that it wasn't included for the price.

I've changed my install to use one of the fuses recommended in the installation video - I'll see if it makes any difference...
I dont understand why people were expecting the power magic pro? i asked Alex about it prior to my decision and he told me it is not the pro version we were getting...then I checked up on Ebay and figured it would have costed me ~$40 CAD after usd to cad conversion and taxes (assuming there was) if I had bought on ebay.....if you wanted the lowest price possible you guys would be buying everything through ebay as no local vendor would be able to match.....check out other group buys and their costs...it is not like Alex is ripping you off...his profit margin per unit is not that much really
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #136
sw0op
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emory335 View Post
LOL.
when i posted that the group buy was at 10...that was what i was referring to (lower price as in the price for 20+)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #137
f0rd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0op View Post
check out other group buys and their costs
Every other vendor and group buy on the internet sells the Blackvue cam with the Blackvue power kit. This group buy included the Finevu power kit which came as bit of a surprise to some since it wasn't explicitly stated and the website picture is vague (can't see the side of the unit where the timer switches would be). The Finevu power kit has no user adjustable timer function, it's just a simple black box that cuts power when the source drops below 11.8V. I'm OK with this limitation (I actually kind of like it better) but unfortunately I'm having a problem when the engine is being started. When the starter motor is engaged the voltage drops to about 11.0V which causes the Finevu power kit to briefly cut power to the camera and it restarts. I shot a video last night showing the voltage drop during startup.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #138
Malapropism
Book Worm
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Just received my Finevu CR300. Looks good

Where are people in Toronto getting it hardwired/installed? I don't mind DIY but if I can get it installed for $50 or less I can save myself any frustration :P

On RFD, Auto-Links had a deal for $25 (+$10 for powerbox) but they quoted me $80 because its harder on a BMW?

Thanks guys
      06-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #139
blackboxing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 Audi RS5

^ Just FYI, Alex did the hardwire install for me and IMO it's definitely less than $50 if you plan on spending money for someone to do it for you. Alex did it in about 20 minutes.

Regarding the start-up recording issues with the powerkit supplied by Alex, my CR200 works fine and starts recording a few seconds after I start the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #140
vokmed
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada

Can you see camera from outside vehicle, Swoop, and how much brightness you had to increase? I did install just below rear view mirror and after reading your post would like to have it move up behind the tinted strip above. Tried to remove after car been parked all day under bright sun by pulling it off but it stuck there... thinking to use a small putty knife or something. (original double sticky pad that came with DR400G stuck with death grip)

Quote:
I had a bit of tint up near the top so I placed it there (above the rear view mirror but below the headliner).....I just increased the brightness in the video setting and videos look ok. I also attached it to my vehicle with velcro to give me that option of removing it if i felt i needed to. Alex took pics and did a wonderful job (it looked quite clean in the end) so if you guys want to see you should msg him or maybe he'll post it up on facebook or his website.
p.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #141
vokmed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
For those that did the Blackvue hardwire install to the fuse box, which fuse did you use? I'm using one of the stereo fuses (according to the little fuse map in the glove box). Here's a problem I'm seeing:
  • Drive around for a bit then turn off the car to park for say, 5 minutes
  • Blackvue remains on (the car hasn't gone to sleep yet) and eventually goes into parking mode
  • Come back to car and turn on the ignition and the Blackvue seems to restart
This is kind of annoying because I lose about 30-45 seconds while the Blackvue is rebooting. Has anyone else noticed this?
I hooked up mine to interior lights and at times but not always I experience exactly the same problems as you.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #142
vokmed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokmed View Post
I hooked up mine to interior lights and at times but not always I experience exactly the same problems as you.
might move to driver power seat to see if it makes a difference...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #143
n e x u s
Introducing to BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: xXx

Here is my installation in 15 mins max:

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #144
vokmed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I had a bit of tint up near the top so I placed it there (above the rear view mirror but below the headliner).....I just increased the brightness in the video setting and videos look ok. I also attached it to my vehicle with velcro to give me that option of removing it if i felt i needed to. Alex took pics and did a wonderful job (it looked quite clean in the end) so if you guys want to see you should msg him or maybe he'll post it up on facebook or his website.
Is it possible to post a video from your cam and does velcro gives video jitters??
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #145
henry418
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Looks like people are enjoying their blackboxes purchased from the group buy If you guys have problems, make sure to contact Blackboxmycar and he should help you out promptly.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #146
CuriousIndian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

I installed it this morning. It shouldn't take more the 40 mins to install once you have watched all the videos. I tied up all extra wiring and stored them all in the glove compartment. Didn't want anything out where people can mistakenly kick it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #147
aaronding
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectcafe View Post
Are there any left for the Blackvue, or am I late to the game?

As a separate question, I heard the 24/7 power kit is only useful if you've left the camera on for about 8 days with the car in park. Anyone verify this?
Well, it depends on how many times it changes back to normal mode and how long it works under normal mode(recording).
      06-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #148
Al-Hala
Rep
Drives: Mark IV Jetta W/ E46 M3 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_2get View Post
Any ideas folks how to get rid of glares/refelction? Alex btw set it up nicely, hiding the cord out of the sight. No errors. I like the cool pastel-like color of the switch. Tnx Alex.

Note: Alex took a DIY video of how the power kit was connected to one of the fuse in the fuse box by the glove box. He'll post it here soon

Well, I've ordered some high contrast linear polarizers for experimentation on the Blackvue units (defrost vent reflection); I understand there is already a magnetic version available for the Finevue series.

When they arrive, I'll post up how well they've worked.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #149
Al-Hala
Rep
Drives: Mark IV Jetta W/ E46 M3 Wheels

Quote:
Most of the time, a car ignition switch will automatically remove all but the starter load from the electrical system; you need to find a source that isn't switched. On my vehicle(s), that's the power seats, 12V outlets.

Remember, the starter acts almost like a dead short; 100's of amperes of current flows, and if the battery is "weak", you'll see a major drop in voltage. If it lasts long enough, that'll shut down the camera.

Same thing will happen if the circuit you're tapped into is drawing too much current when the camera is installed (considering how little they draw, that would be a feat).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #150
vokmed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-Hala View Post
Well, I've ordered some high contrast linear polarizers for experimentation on the Blackvue units (defrost vent reflection); I understand there is already a magnetic version available for the Finevue series.

Please do!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 12:28 AM   #151
vokmed
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Most of the time, a car ignition switch will automatically remove all but the starter load from the electrical system; you need to find a source that isn't switched. On my vehicle(s), that's the power seats, 12V outlets.

Remember, the starter acts almost like a dead short; 100's of amperes of current flows, and if the battery is "weak", you'll see a major drop in voltage. If it lasts long enough, that'll shut down the camera.

Same thing will happen if the circuit you're tapped into is drawing too much current when the camera is installed (considering how little they draw, that would be a feat).
I found today that if I turn off automatic climate control before shut down then on next start power stays on...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #152
ez_2get
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90 - 2015 X3 F25

Quote:

Quote:
Please do!
+1
      06-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #153
sw0op
Rep

Quote:
Can you see camera from outside vehicle, Swoop, and how much brightness you had to increase? I did install just below rear view mirror and after reading your post would like to have it move up behind the tinted strip above. Tried to remove after car been parked all day under bright sun by pulling it off but it stuck there... thinking to use a small putty knife or something. (original double sticky pad that came with DR400G stuck with death grip)
No you cant see it from the outside...my friends literally had no idea until i told them theres a camera there and they had to literally go up to the window and look before they found it...

if you want to remove it...maybe try using a hairdryer for a few mins to loosen up the glue??

only 2 problems ive experienced wiht my velcro setup so far:
1. there's a bit of reflection on the windshield due the camera being placed a bit farther away from the windshield than normal
2. if you keep removing the camera from its velcro, it loses some of its stickiness (or fur or whatever) so the side without anything holding it up starts to sag a bit...it might be a problem later on but i would probably just reattach a new peice of velcro if its really a problem...

and there's no vibrations in my videos due to its velcro attachment..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #154
Mr&Mrs323i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i TiAg

Just met Alex this afternoon to exchange one of my CR300HD cameras.
The microphone on/off switch would not light back up after it's been turned off.
No problems at all with the exchange as its under warranty.
Advised me that the factory tried to duplicate the problem but couldn't copy it.
He'll be shipping the erring camera back to the factory.
Appreciate 0