E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Introducing OpenFlash Tablet

07-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #45
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

I'll admit its more than I originally was expecting to pay, BUT. Its still significantly cheaper than having to buy a cobb AND it appears to be a pretty good piece of hardware. Kind've bulky, but it should fit nicely in my glovebox. Good work! A real milestone for the N54.

Shiv, can we use this to patch the ProcedeFlash? All I really want is to be able to use my procede again without maxing out the fuel trims....on 91. But E85 is great too.

Coming from experience with a Pectel SQ6 and their Pi software, that's a lot of tables to go through! This will be fun! Sign me up!

Last edited by akotten; 07-03-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #46
paulguma
Bavarian Murder Weapon
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Garage List
1999 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrtBus View Post
This unit looks the same as this one.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=jzwbmw.com ?
Why have I never heard of this and why did it not get anywhere close to the hype of open flash when they are very similar?
      07-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #47
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguma View Post
Why have I never heard of this and why did it not get anywhere close to the hype of open flash when they are very similar?
*Beep boop bop* Will...Not...Post...*beep boop*
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #48
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

My immediate interest in the product isthe ability to have it work in with my Procede, in particular the DME flash we need to be able to convert to E85. I guess now I weigh up do I just post my dme away and get it flashed or pay the $400 use it once for this and then sideline the device until I get time to play with it in earnest, and hope no upgraded hardware is released in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #49
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcw View Post
What software do you use to update the DME? Winkfp?

What hardware do you use? DCAN cable?

How long does it take?
WinKFP & SP-DATEN 49.x

INPA K + DCAN

Depends. The .0pa file is 4,905KB and the .0da file is 704KB. The .0pa file needs to be updated on your MSD8x and in my experience that could take an 1 hour or more, just like the first time Open Flash reads your ROM.

So like any other long term coding, you'll need to make sure your laptop is plugged in and you have a battery charger connected to your car.

Like I said, it would be a good idea to backup some information before updating your DME. I personally have only flashed my .0da file because I took my car back to stock to get my turbos replaced. I was running the PROcede e85 flash which caused under boost codes without the PROcede.

Hopefully I can get my hands on the Open Flash hardware early next week so I can start testing. I want to retrofit my car with an MSD81 so I have two DME's to play with. I'm also hoping with the new hardware and software, I'll be able to do comps on the Alpina flash to see what tables they made changes to. I have flashed my .0da with five different Alpina files with no luck. At least now I can save the raw information and do file comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #50
Kabnine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulguma View Post
Probably because with this one everyone got hyped up thinking it was the interface and coding that was going to be open source (not just the maps) so we could all play with custom interfaces, tweak the read/write etc. and fully open up the DME and explore it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #51
tcw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
WinKFP & SP-DATEN 49.x

INPA K + DCAN

Depends. The .0pa file is 4,905KB and the .0da file is 704KB. The .0pa file needs to be updated on your MSD8x and in my experience that could take an 1 hour or more, just like the first time Open Flash reads your ROM.

So like any other long term coding, you'll need to make sure your laptop is plugged in and you have a battery charger connected to your car.

Like I said, it would be a good idea to backup some information before updating your DME. I personally have only flashed my .0da file because I took my car back to stock to get my turbos replaced. I was running the PROcede e85 flash which caused under boost codes without the PROcede.

Hopefully I can get my hands on the Open Flash hardware early next week so I can start testing. I want to retrofit my car with an MSD81 so I have two DME's to play with. I'm also hoping with the new hardware and software, I'll be able to do comps on the Alpina flash to see what tables they made changes to. I have flashed my .0da with five different Alpina files with no luck. At least now I can save the raw information and do file comparisons.
Interesting... also thanks for the info!
2008 335I E92, AW, VFF700, 18" Forgestar F14, M3 front/side, M-tech rear, AMS IC, H&R Touring Cup Kit suspension, HID AE, ER Charge Pipe & Synapse BOV, CIC Retrofit, Quafie, DSS, Defiv Lockdown, SPEC 2+/Steel SMFW, Walbro 450
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #52
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RombinHood2 View Post
Our hardware/software team consists of myself and a 3 other colleagues here at work. We write the code and do all the preliminary testing. Shiv and the guys at Vishnu were instrumental by generously offering their tuning knowledge and providing the mapping-related info that we needed to turn a flashing device into an actual tuning tool. We also look forward to working closely with other tuners and hopefully we can provide them with a good transport mechanism for their tuning skills.

I also believe that the term "open source" is bothering some people who feel that it misrepresents the nature of this product. I do not want to get into any conflict with anything, on any forum, about anything. So I will erase any references to "open source" just to keep things peaceful. The name of the product will still remain "OpenFlash" simply because the ROM editing process is just that, open (ie, not encrypted).
Great work this looks like the start of an amazing product, and you brought it to market much much sooner than I thought would of been possible

As a java engineer when i first read about this I must say I had a totally different idea of what this project was. i was picturing more of a public group development on github or w/e and the final product being software that could be ran on a pc or a mobile android / iOS device. With that said I know first hand how much work software development is and if I was doing the project I would of went with a model similar to what you went with over true open source software development.

Would be amazing if you could jack the display into the Navi system, especially for the realtime data displays kinda glad it can't though since I dont have the Navi system anyway

Great job!
      07-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #53
yomny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335is 6spd

Seems like a good alternative to Cobb, can anyone make changes to the tables or only tuners?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #54
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

From the very first mention of this, this was to be an open source tuning solution.

Now that it's here, it's actually flash loader hardware that has been for sale and marketed by JZW tuning(for a while now) and has to use stand alone, proprietary, table editing software? Not to mention all of the really cool features are the ones that have yet to be tested and the labeling of it even being open source is now being abandoned?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #55
akotten
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Seems like a good alternative to Cobb, can anyone make changes to the tables or only tuners?
I believe it was mentioned in the FAQ, and correct me if I am wrong, but this allows ANYONE to modify any parameter they please. Supposedly has a simple interface for beginners too.

Haha, back when I was busy with the 3S platform, this kind of money would get you a piggy back fuel controller. So much advancement since those days. Oh and the open source ECU for that platform, today, costs around $550 I believe. This really is quite the deal.

On another note...What's the purpose of having a dedicated device for this? Why not just a software package and cable? I'd rather pay you directly for your time, than have to pay extra for a device that isn't really necessary. I already have a smart phone, a tablet, and a workstation laptop lol....just another thing to keep charged I guess.

Last edited by akotten; 07-03-2013 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #56
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Even though this isnt what I had in mind, a cable $100 and free software, it is a great tool. I just wish the price was in the 200-300 range.

Will I buy the product? Yes, but I'll hold off for now. If the price was less, I would probably buy it without a second thought.

$400 is pretty close to what JZW sells their product for and most used Cobb AP sell for $600.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #57
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

can this device be unmarried and resold like the AP?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #58
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
From the very first mention of this, this was to be an open source tuning solution.

Now that it's here, it's actually flash loader hardware that has been for sale and marketed by JZW tuning(for a while now) and has to use stand alone, proprietary, table editing software? Not to mention all of the really cool features are the ones that have yet to be tested and the labeling of it even being open source is now being abandoned?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #59
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Awesome!!
Great work.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #60
akotten
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post

"You can actually use any general map editor to tune your ROM file. Just as long as it can accept an unencrypted ROM file and save in the same format. However, we officially support Tuner Pro map editor. It can be downloaded, for free"

Is the first post too long? People don't appear to be reading it at all.
      07-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #61
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Just let me know where to buy one
      07-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #62
newBMWownr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Because at a price of $395/unit, you get a flash tuning device, a diagnostic tool, a digital gauge pack, a data on-screen data grapher/logger (soon) and everything you need to tune your DME without restriction. I think it's fair to allow Rombinhood & Team to earm some money for their ongoing time and risk. As well as give professional tuning shops, who devote their lives to making your car go Vroom, the chance to earn a few bucks reselling and custom dyno tuning your car for less than what some other markets pay for a set of sway bars
I realize that this is primarily a flashing device but will one be able to use this for general coding of the car? I noticed the battery reset on one of the screen shots. I'd like to change the chemistry of the battery in my car (flooded lead acid to AGM) as well as reset the adaptation. I've thought about buying a cable and trying to work through the programming but frankly, I'm too risk adverse, too old, and too dumb to figure it out. Some level of functionality along those lines (maybe offered as open source 'apps' for sale or free or whatever) might broaden the base of interested customers.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #63
feedmyfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 335

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #64
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

i'm just disappointed it didn't turn out to be closed source, after realizing there was a profit to be made, greed set in?

if it turned out like it should have, it would have been a way to download and decrypt the DME tuning file, tune it, then upload it back in, without any of the hassle and anyone could do it straight from a laptop with the right cable. no shitty device.

you know, like every other open source tuning solution for other platforms, as well as the idea of 'open source' in general.

but no, greed set in.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #65
glachhman
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

:/ I thought it was going to be open open source.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #66
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
"You can actually use any general map editor to tune your ROM file. Just as long as it can accept an unencrypted ROM file and save in the same format. However, we officially support Tuner Pro map editor. It can be downloaded, for free"

Is the first post too long? People don't appear to be reading it at all.
I never said it would be limited only to tuner pro. I said it would be limited to proprietary and standalone table editors. Which it is.

If this was open source this would of course also be the case and expected. However, it's not. It is a $400 flash loader that is closed source(so to speak) that doesn't include any editor software and appears to be built around the PROcede's need for an at home flash solution.

The kernel behind this was the "anyone interested in a open source flashing solution" well, yeah were interested and still waiting.
Appreciate 0