E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 Gray Interior Restoration

03-06-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Question E90 Gray Interior Restoration

I recently purchased a used 2006 BMW 330I. Color combo is Monaco Blue exterior with a Grey/Wood (trim) interior.

I've been looking around for the color code for the interior but the closest I've gotten from BMW is "Gray" I have a terrible peeling issue on all 3 of the handles (front passenger, and both rear door handles) exposing the black interior underneath the paint. Also near my center console. I've seen lots of posts regarding peeling in these areas but no one with my color of interior.

Does anyone know what paint would match this? I'm looking for something not too expensive and fairly simple (I don't do much painting let alone auto painting) to apply and fix this up. I can post pictures later today when I'm at home on my desktop.

Thanks in advance for feedback
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
nvturbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Mine is basically the same as yours, but in Mystic Blue.

I, too, need to replace the inner door handle and covers as well. The outer cover may be painted but the inner one is a material flaw. Your best bet is either finding used ones on here, local FB Marketplace for partouts or new ones online. I priced it up yesterday and it's about $178 for all six parts (remember, the driver's door doesn't have it).

Last edited by nvturbo; 03-16-2018 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
Mine is basically the same as yours, same color and all. LOL

I, too, need to replace the inner door handle and covers as well. The outer cover may be painted but the inner one is a material flaw. Your best bet is either finding used ones on here, local FB Marketplace for partouts or new ones online. I priced it up yesterday and it's about $178 for all six parts (remember, the driver's door doesn't have it).
Thanks for the quick response, I've seen some people just remove and repaint or completely replace the handle I'm talking about (The leather "oh shit" one not the actual handle that opens and closes the door). However these people have all ended up having to break the plastic posts that hold it to the door panel off and then re-"melt" them on due to how they're originally made on there. I assumed it would be something I could pop in and out or secure with a clip of some sort but they're kind of bonded to the door handle which is a hassle I'm not sure I want to deal with if I don't have to. I have a fear of whatever I use to re-bond it not holding or making the handles loose/wobbly. I don't know I'll look up some replacements just in case but I want to see if there is any other option to just paint with a brush/pen or so.
      03-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
nvturbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

You can "melt" the 4 stabs with a soldering pen. As for chances of it pulling back out, it shouldn't since the screw is sandwiching it to the door itself. On mine, the one on the rear driver's side is scratched up and I will eventually replace it. Hard to see but it's noticeable if you look downwards. I may just replace all six parts just because. Pondering if I should replace the door speakers while I have the door panels off.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
You can "melt" the 4 stabs with a soldering pen. As for chances of it pulling back out, it shouldn't since the screw is sandwiching it to the door itself. On mine, the one on the rear driver's side is scratched up and I will eventually replace it. Hard to see but it's noticeable if you look downwards. I may just replace all six parts just because. Pondering if I should replace the door speakers while I have the door panels off.
I know for sure my front passenger side door one is going to need completely replace because about half of the paint is gone, whereas on the others it's smaller scratches. Never had this issue with a car so I didn't expect to buy a BMW as find this hah. I suppose I'll begin looking for the cheapest genuine replacements, where did you find yours?
      03-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I did find this website selling the handle COVERS (genuine) already painted for a little less than $20/per cover...

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog..._pg1.htm#item0
OR
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51416971292/

However there just so happens to only be images for all colors besides the gray...but they all look great otherwise. Should I take the chance and buy them from here? It'd make it sooo much cheaper that they're already painted and cost that little. I'd just have to remove the old and put these in..not sure how to do that with just a "cover" and not the entire handle. Any experience with this?

Last edited by Tempxst; 03-08-2018 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
nvturbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I haven't bought the parts yet. The place I found the best prices was from www.genuinenewparts.com $172.14 before S/H. It was $7.40 shipping to where I'm at.

all three outer covers -- $13.08/ea
all three inner handles -- $44.30/ea

The right (front + rear) handles and covers are the same. They already come painted grey. It's the Genuine BMW ones, not aftermarket. You will have to remove the woodgrain trim piece to be able to pry off the covers. In order to remove the inner handle, door panel needs to come off.

Last edited by nvturbo; 03-08-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #8
Tempxst
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Hmm I'll probably go with that and take a day to get all of it switched out. I plan to wrap the wood trim anyways so I can do these at the same time!

Thanks for the info.
      03-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
nvturbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

not a problem...
Appreciate 0