E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Trim Swap

09-02-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
Kurupt1811
Private
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Trim Swap

I originally planned on ordering a car with aluminum trim but my dealer offered me a really good deal on a car that is the same spec that I wanted only it is with wood trim. I asked the dealer about swapping the trim with another car but he said this was impossible. Is there anyway I can get him to do it or am I just SOL?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #2
BMW786
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGraphite90

I was in the same situation as you. They had the exact configuration of the car I wanted (which was hard to find - a 325i with just Xenons and other options) but it had wood trim. I asked him the same thing, but they cannot switch the trim out as far as I know. If I were you, I would wait and get what you want. I could have had the car I wanted a month a half earlier than I did, but I would have had to settle, and I didn't want to do that. You're going to be looking at your interior everyday, so just be patient and make sure you get the trim of your choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

And this with the "wood shortage" for everywhere but the USA... That said, there are several strings on this list describing trim exchanges, so there is no doubt that trim swaps can be done. Not sure how to best look them up. Perhaps the problem is an aluminum trim shortage, and wood trim glut, in the USA supply, so that the dealers do not want to give up an alu trim car if they were lucky enough to get an allotment.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Iīve taken every trim panel out of my E90 and put it back in (stereo install). With the right tools itīs easy and safe. At max swapping the trim between two cars would take one qualified mechanic 2 hours. So far from impossible. And the fit and finish of the parts wqould be just as from factory. There really is nothing to be done wrong exexpt using the wrong tools and hurting the trim or its surrounding during the uninstall.
Putting them back on is really easy and cannot be done wrong.
      09-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

It should be noted that the vehicle's build sheet will have the installed trim code on it. The vehicle that supplied the donor trim would have to be sold with a non-matching build sheet and BMW is EXTREMELY sensative about these sorts of things. If you want to know why, Google a legal case in Alabama "BMW v. Gore"
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
It should be noted that the vehicle's build sheet will have the installed trim code on it. The vehicle that supplied the donor trim would have to be sold with a non-matching build sheet and BMW is EXTREMELY sensative about these sorts of things. If you want to know why, Google a legal case in Alabama "BMW v. Gore"
yeah i noticed that when i was tracking my car, however, my car had "black leatherette/black trim" as its description but i in fact have aluminum trim. i guess black = aluminum?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Mine doesn't even have the trim listed.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #8
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurupt1811
I originally planned on ordering a car with aluminum trim but my dealer offered me a really good deal on a car that is the same spec that I wanted only it is with wood trim. I asked the dealer about swapping the trim with another car but he said this was impossible. Is there anyway I can get him to do it or am I just SOL?
Your dealer is full of s**t. Had mine swapped at no extra cost to me. I test drove it with wood and now it looks like this. Beverly Hills BMW sold me my car. I went there because they were the only dealer in L.A. that would do this without making me pay for the work. I know Beverly Hills is too far for you but at least you can let your dealer know that you know that they are lying.
Attached Images

09-03-2005, 01:12 AM   #9
JRMillion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

this is a kind of expensive route, but there are AC Schnitzer trim kits you can buy, mainly silver carbon fibre. hot

The aluminum is kinda cool, personally I am getting Jet Black with wood trim just because i like the darker look. I test drove their demo that had aluminum trim, and i don't know what had gone on in that car but the trim was dented in a few small places.

Last edited by JRMillion; 09-03-2005 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2005, 03:41 PM   #10
tartopomme
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

tierfreund> Can you explain us how did you do to remove the trims ? Do you have pictures of your car with the trims removed and pictures of the tools required ?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #11
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMillion
this is a kind of expensive route, but there are AC Schnitzer trim kits you can buy, mainly silver carbon fibre. hot
Too expensive for the look you get IMO. Makes the interior look like a "Fast & Furious" ride.