E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Battery Charge Level Low Warning

08-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
jmyang
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I

Battery Charge Level Low Warning

Hi All 3 series owners, have you experience "Battery Charge Level Low" warning while you listening to radio when the engine off and the clock is off more than 5 minutes. Please advice on how to fix it and is this cover under factory warranty?
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Do you do a lot of short trips? Try "charging" it up by taking a long drive or get a battery tender to charge it up and see if it happens again.

If it keeps happening even after charging it, then it could be a defective battery or something is up with the car's charging or electrical system. You can always take it in and see what the dealer says. Usually the battery is considered a wear item and not covered under warranty, but your car is only a 2009 so who knows...
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Do you do a lot of short trips? Try "charging" it up by taking a long drive or get a battery tender to charge it up and see if it happens again.

If it keeps happening even after charging it, then it could be a defective battery or something is up with the car's charging or electrical system. You can always take it in and see what the dealer says. Usually the battery is considered a wear item and not covered under warranty, but your car is only a 2009 so who knows...
what he said. otherwise your battery needs to be replaced. i just had mine replaced for $360 at the dealers. but your car is an 09 so i doubt thats the case.
      08-30-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
jmyang
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post

Thanks for your post. I just pick it up from the dealer on Monday, the service adviser said that I don't drive the car too often and they recharged the battery. I have been driving the car this whole week, but it still occurs.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
STC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I experienecd this tonight.

I bought the car yesterday, a CPO 08 335i. I was sitting in the car which is in the garage reading the manual and playing w/ the navi, and listening to the radio when I got the "Battery Charge Level Low" warning. It happened a total of 3x within 15 mins.

Do you think the dealer will replace the battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #6
Robben@ltbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Space Grey

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post

I bought the car yesterday, a CPO 08 335i. I was sitting in the car which is in the garage reading the manual and playing w/ the navi, and listening to the radio when I got the "Battery Charge Level Low" warning. It happened a total of 3x within 15 mins.

No, just because it happened consecutively, doesn't mean your battery is bad. The low battery warning will keep coming up until you charge your battery over a certain percentage. You shouldn't have your car turned on without the engine running for more than 8-10min. Once you start driving it around for longer periods of time, then the battery will charge back up. The only reason dealer will warranty it is if it comes up frequently even after a full charge.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

I got it last night but I was coding the car so it was on ignition for awhile. Took it out for a long drive and everything is fine.

$360 for a battery, that is crazy. Can't you use a $50 battery from costco
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Lagger1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: valvetronic engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMissDaisy View Post
$360 for a battery, that is crazy. Can't you use a $50 battery from costco
Oh nooz, there goes this thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post

No. Not covered items:

Upkeep Items
Maintenance; engine, transmission, and body adjustments; wheel alignment, balancing or rotation; wiper blade inserts; engine drive belts; spark plugs; filters; fuses; all batteries; all hoses and clamps (except air conditioning and power steering); oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolants (except as required in the course of a covered repair); brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems; tires.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468750
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472069
Appreciate 0