E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine shuts off while stationary

09-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Exclamation Engine shuts off while stationary

Something incredibly weird happened last night. After I got off the freeway at a red light, my engine suddenly shut itself off and three yellow warning lights came off: service engine soon, brake, and a car on a jack. I started the engine back on and kept on driving as the lights were all yellow. When I stopped at the second light, the engine shut off again.This time I couldn't even get the engine start and the car gave me a red light (forgot which one) and rolled down all the windows, and of course I started to panic. I put my blinkers on thinking that I may have to call the shop to tow the car. But then I decided to give it another shot when the light turned green, and this time it started and I pulled over immediately and pulled out the owner's manual, and this is what troubles me.

According to the manual, it just means the brake pads are worn and need to be replaced. Since I didn't have to step on the brake really hard to slow down the car, it really surprised me. But hey, maybe I just didn't notice it especially when I haven't driven much lately. But then there comes an even more troubling thought - why would the car refuse to start if the car just needs new brake pads especially when the lights were all yellow? I continued my drive as I was very close to my destination (but I decided to use small neighborhood roads just in case).

An even weirder thing, in my opinion, happened on my trip back to my apartment. At first, the yellow service engine soon was on, but not the brake and the car on the jack lights. After about 5 minutes of drive, the light just disappeared, and this made me think that it could be some electrical problems. After I got home safely (whew) and checked the "check control," it would still give me service soon message in yellow.

Now, here comes my question, and I really need y'all's suggestions, what is going on? What could be the problem? Is it really just the fact that I need to replace my brake pads? If so, why would the engine just shut itself off? I figured that the car may refuse the start the engine if it notices the brake pads are worn for safety reasons, but why then would it stop running? Doesn't that make it more dangerous?

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Have the battery and charging system checked out.

Low voltage (even if car will start) can cause all kinds of strange errors/messages.

Brakes have nothing to do with the car dying.

Has your car had the B+ cable recall done? This is another possibility.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #3
bimmerJP
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i
Location: Texas, the United States of America, Planet Earth, Universe

Yes, I had it done two years ago. I guess an electrical issue is better a mechanical one here. At least I know there's nothing wrong with the car itself (although one can argue the electrical system is also part of the car). I will have it checked ASAP. Thanks!
Appreciate 0