E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > p30fe overboost!!!

07-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
mikepatelli
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

p30fe overboost!!!

Sorry for the long post!! Trying to avoid getting flamed for being new, and not giving enough info lol. I am new to BMW, but not at all new to modifying and repairing cars.

So the car hits limp mode with p30fe and p3100. It happens mostly at part throttle acceleration, and 1 out of 10 times during a WOT pull.

The car is a 2008 335i a/t with 120k miles.
-catless downpipes
-afe dual intakes
-custom straight pipe
-ebay intercooler
-cobb v2 running stage 2+ aggressive.

I just bought it last month, and since I have personally replaced the in tank pump, HPFP, alternator, plugs and coil packs, and just did new set of oem turbos by cardone (rotomaster). I tested the wastegates before installation, using a mityvac. Both wastegates closed tightly at 6 in hg.

The car was plagued with limp mode and issues from day 1, it has been getting better and better with every repair, but this one is beyond me!

I checked the movement on both wastegates, nothing in the way and they both move smoothly!

**Another note, I uninstalled the cobb and the car produced the same overboost codes!**

So what else can cause over boosting? And most importantly from the couple logs provided, does it seem like the car even is overboosting?

The code did not get thrown when the logs were done unfortunately, it is tough finding a safe spot to open the car up during the day in CT! Can do more logs possibly tonight. But here they are! Thanks in advance to anyone with advice!!

https://datazap.me/u/mikepatelli/log...og=1&data=5-17
https://datazap.me/u/mikepatelli/log...og=0&data=5-17

Last edited by mikepatelli; 07-12-2018 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Trouble with dtalogs
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
mikepatelli
Registered
Rep

I get it... "another 30fe post" lol..

But believe me, I have read through all 50 of them and no one took the time to post there solution (I will)

The issue with the info available is most are overboosting on tune only, and the others are incomplete without a solution.

I will be doing more logs tonight, but I would really appreciate if someone could look at the logs I posted and see if the car is overboosting, I would like to know if the situation is dangerous, or if its simply wastegates are just a little too tight and the ecu is being a little too cautious. I can deal with clearing the code 10 times on the highway, as long as its safe to do so and I am not causing damage by opening the car up. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:42 PM   #3
mikepatelli
Registered
Rep

Just in case this can help someone in the future, I found the issue.

It ended up being a split evap line from one of the vacuum canisters. It was the lower line that goes up and over the valve cover. So an evap leak in this location CAN cause a p30fe overboost as well as a p30ff underboost.
Appreciate 0