E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > sealant on wheels

12-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
ocgasman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

sealant on wheels

hey all,

I seal my wheels with opti-seal and usually clean with just optimum car wash. But recently got some chemical guys diablo gel wheel cleaner. Will the diablo strip the opti-seal? Do I have to reapply opti-seal every time I use diablo? that would be a major pain. thanks in advance to the experts.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
If you use anything more than the typical carwash soap to clean your wheels then you will need to reapply the sealant/wax to the wheels afterward.

Wheel wax & sealant is only meant to aid in ease of cleaning the wheels and keeping the harsher elements from embedding into the finish. Wheels are going to endure the most abuse with regard to the elements.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
ocgasman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
If you use anything more than the typical carwash soap to clean your wheels then you will need to reapply the sealant/wax to the wheels afterward.

Wheel wax & sealant is only meant to aid in ease of cleaning the wheels and keeping the harsher elements from embedding into the finish. Wheels are going to endure the most abuse with regard to the elements.

Thanks for the answer. I suspected that was the case. I find putting sealant on my 19's a pita. I wash my car at least every other week so I think I'll forgo the sealant and just use the diablo + agitate with brushes during my normal washes.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgasman View Post
Thanks for the answer. I suspected that was the case. I find putting sealant on my 19's a pita. I wash my car at least every other week so I think I'll forgo the sealant and just use the diablo + agitate with brushes during my normal washes.
........... pita is an understatement.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Why Knot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgasman View Post
I guess my wife is right, I'm nuts. I wash my car at least twice a week and wax every 4 to 6 weeks. I wash the wheels with car wash solution (Mother's California Gold) and wax the wheels when I wax the car (Mother's California Gold Pure Caranuba). I used to wash and wax more often before we bought a house with a garage.

I also clay bar and polish in the spring.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #6
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Knot View Post
I guess my wife is right, I'm nuts. I wash my car at least twice a week and wax every 4 to 6 weeks. I wash the wheels with car wash solution (Mother's California Gold) and wax the wheels when I wax the car (Mother's California Gold Pure Caranuba). I used to wash and wax more often before we bought a house with a garage.

Hardly nuts around these parts. We're all obsessed.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
ocgasman
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Knot View Post

My wife thinks I'm excessive for wanting to wash both bimmers once a week and they're both garage kept. I leave the claying & polishing to my detailer who does an awesome job. I just wash and wax. I use the optimum line and waxing with optimum car wax + sealing with opti-seal is so damn easy...but not on the wheels. BMW brake dust is ridiculous, just driving to the supermarket causes wheels to look dirty, I give up. If I didn't have to clean the wheels, I would just ONR and be done with it. I have to figure out a better way...
Appreciate 0