E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > EGR and Injector Issues...help!

08-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
sama.astani
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Unhappy EGR and Injector Issues...help!

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum so excuse me if there is another thread about my issue.
I have a 2009 335d w/ 66k miles on it. Recently the SES has come on and I put a generic OBD scanner on it.

Codes:
p203a
p0638
p02ce

Hooked up autologic computer and read:
4593 smooth running controller, cylinder 2
4862 air system, air to EGR mass flow, plausibility
4592 smooth running controller, cylinder 4
4687 throttle valve actuator
4bac reducing agent active tank fill sensor
4ae6 zero quantity adaptation injector, cylinder 2

Only modification I've done to the car is a JBD chip set at 80% for a little under a year, no problems.

I'm pretty ignorant about these diesels, and have a friend as a tech at Classic BMW in Dallas. He said it needed reprogramming, cleaning, smooth running test, and possible injector replacements. Independent shops where I live don't know what any of this means. I love this car to death, but having to sink $5,000 at 66k miles to fix it seems a little ridiculous. He said that around 20% of these diesels hit this issue.

Car seems to be rough at idle, and increased throttle lag. Drives great on the highway, except my gas mileage seems to be decreasing quite a bit.

Has anyone had these problems and if so, can you tell me what you did? Or if indeed 20% of these diesels have this issue, has BMW done anything about it?

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

Welcome to the club.

It looks like standard set of issues for BMW 335d on this mileage.

You can search this forum using keywords: "CBU"
It means: carbon build ups

Shortly, there are no cheap exit from this issues, so be prepared to find a good mechanic or DIY.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

It should not cost $5k to get a carbon cleaning
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #4
Lexx.md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335D

It can cost anything in dealership, as they might want to change what they want
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 07:26 PM   #5
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

CBU cleaning should be about $1500. Any dealer charging much more either doesn't know what they are doing or ripping you off. Either way you want to stay clear of them. A big variable is the intake manifold. Your existing one can be sent out to be ultrasonically cleaned. This lowers the price but increases the time for the repair. Often the intake is just replaced with a new one as the cost may not be too much more (It's plastic).

I had the whole CBU cleaning last year. Took just under a week but the dealer did drive the car a bit so they could reset the injector adaptation values (the last code from the OP). And that code 'usually' shows up for cylinder 2, not any of the others. In most cases there is nothing wrong with the injectors, the DDE program just needs to be updated and the injectors re calibrated. The reduction in MPG is the ONLY early warning sign of the beginning of CBU. When it gets bad enough then it starts throwing codes and can have an occasional miss at idle.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
sama.astani
Registered
United_States
Rep

So just an update, dealer said that injector in cylinder 2 needs to be replaced and the whole DEF tank needs to be replaced because the sensor that senses the level of fluid is damaged. Whole repair costs $3500. However, they said nothing about CBU at all. Im a little worried because there are hardly in diesels in Oklahoma and Im pretty sure Im one of very little who actually takes it to this dealer. Im pretty stuck as to what to do. I really doubt that this dealership knows what they are doing, or really just ripping me off.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2006 Nissan Titan SE  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sama.astani View Post
So just an update, dealer said that injector in cylinder 2 needs to be replaced and the whole DEF tank needs to be replaced because the sensor that senses the level of fluid is damaged. Whole repair costs $3500. However, they said nothing about CBU at all. Im a little worried because there are hardly in diesels in Oklahoma and Im pretty sure Im one of very little who actually takes it to this dealer. Im pretty stuck as to what to do. I really doubt that this dealership knows what they are doing, or really just ripping me off.
Sama,

If you love the car as you have said earlier and you live in a state where they do not conduct smog testing your solution is pretty simple. Perform the alphabet delete (erg block off/dpf removal/urea injection disabling) and CBU cleaning on your car. Yes, it will probably cost you around $1,500 for CBU cleaning, $1,200 for the tune, $900 for downpipe and EGR block off plates along with labor.After you are done, not only will your car run a lot better, but it will be a lot more fuel efficient, put down more power but will provide you with increased reliability for a long time to come.

I hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

I'd bet that the dealership is wrong about the injector and that you do have cbu. I would at least suggest to them that I believe it is cbu and point them the direction of the cbu sib which spells out several of the codes you have as being indicative of cbu.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #9
sama.astani
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC335d View Post
Sama,

If you love the car as you have said earlier and you live in a state where they do not conduct smog testing your solution is pretty simple. Perform the alphabet delete (erg block off/dpf removal/urea injection disabling) and CBU cleaning on your car. Yes, it will probably cost you around $1,500 for CBU cleaning, $1,200 for the tune, $900 for downpipe and EGR block off plates along with labor.After you are done, not only will your car run a lot better, but it will be a lot more fuel efficient, put down more power but will provide you with increased reliability for a long time to come.

I hope this helps.
I was reading that a lot of people have been doing that to this car, and it sounds like a great option (more power and torque is a beautiful thing). The problem is that I don't know how to work around a diesel that much as opposed to a gas engine. I'll do some more searches, but are you aware of any threads that post of how to do this, or should a dealership, such as in Dallas, be able to do this? Oklahoma doesn't do smog testing or any car checks for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Sama,
I never worked nor owned a diesel before doing this either. I do regard myself as a decent mechanic though. Just wade into the water slowly and learn. Two good thrwads for the alphabet delete process. Either DPF delete ( very long though) or another one that contains words alphabet soup. The last place in the world to get this done is at dealer.😜
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
dr_dirtg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Sama,
I never worked nor owned a diesel before doing this either. I do regard myself as a decent mechanic though. Just wade into the water slowly and learn. Two good thrwads for the alphabet delete process. Either DPF delete ( very long though) or another one that contains words alphabet soup. The last place in the world to get this done is at dealer.😜
I dont think the stealerships are even capable of doing such work.
Appreciate 0