E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone thought about mating a ZF 8HP with N54?

03-09-2014, 05:00 PM   #1
AW92
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

Question Anyone thought about mating a ZF 8HP with N54?

Just test drove a M235i, while it's a good car, it's really not that much more to offer from my 08 335i. It's definitely not worth $35k more if I were to trade in. I am not even sure if it's consider an upgrade. What I "really" like about the car is its ZF 8HP sport auto. It is nothing like the 6AT that came with the E92, and I have a manual tranny btw. But I don't like it enough to pay $35k more for it. Yes I am getting a bit tired of my manual.

I did a bit more exploring online, and found ZF made a few different verisons of this tranny. What if we get the highest torque rating 8HP, and mate that into a 700hp N54? Now that'd be an legit upgrade, right?

I searched here, and a bunch of other forums, but haven't ran across a post about this swap. Has it done before?

Anyway, I am mechnically incline, have access to the tools/lift that are needed for the job. Does anyone know if the 8HP bolts onto the N54 from first hand experience? Also, any electrical gurus who has explored the controller and the integration side of things? Espeically since the 8HP was never offered with a N54 from the factory. I know there is the DCT from varies IS', but let's not get into that.

Just brainstorming for the time being. Any resourceful input is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
07tundra
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 8.1L Chevy 2500hd

tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW92 View Post
Just test drove a M235i, while it's a good car, it's really not that much more to offer from my 08 335i. It's definitely not worth $35k more if I were to trade in. I am not even sure if it's consider an upgrade. What I "really" like about the car is its ZF 8HP sport auto. It is nothing like the 6AT that came with the E92, and I have a manual tranny btw. But I don't like it enough to pay $35k more for it. Yes I am getting a bit tired of my manual.

I did a bit more exploring online, and found ZF made a few different verisons of this tranny. What if we get the highest torque rating 8HP, and mate that into a 700hp N54? Now that'd be an legit upgrade, right?

I searched here, and a bunch of other forums, but haven't ran across a post about this swap. Has it done before?

Anyway, I am mechnically incline, have access to the tools/lift that are needed for the job. Does anyone know if the 8HP bolts onto the N54 from first hand experience? Also, any electrical gurus who has explored the controller and the integration side of things? Espeically since the 8HP was never offered with a N54 from the factory. I know there is the DCT from varies IS', but let's not get into that.

Just brainstorming for the time being. Any resourceful input is appreciated.
I doubt it'll bolt up better off looking for a 6hp26 or 6hp28. Trust me I wish someone would find alternative to the 6hp21 that we currently have
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Terry is our best hope right now with the LVL10 build. Though the cost of a full build is steep, i'd love to see what a VB upgrade would do with better cooling. I don't launch my car so the upgraded TC isn't as useful for me. But the 3-4-5 pulls must generate a ton of heat....

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 04:43 AM   #4
BigHoncho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Terry is our best hope right now with the LVL10 build. Though the cost of a full build is steep, i'd love to see what a VB upgrade would do with better cooling. I don't launch my car so the upgraded TC isn't as useful for me. But the 3-4-5 pulls must generate a ton of heat....
Thats why you need a better main radiator for cooling the water that is also used to cool the AT
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Mit_Boost
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 335

What do you believe are the benefits of swapping a ZF 8HP into an E9x N54 car? Is the TQ rating for the trans higher from the factory? Or do you just like the 8-Speed auto? The latter is subjective and I am completely content with 6AT the car came with.

And even if the TQ rating is higher AND putting aside the bell housing bolt pattern, there are zero guarantees that the electronics would be compatible. The biggest problem with have with upgrading the trans is the TCM has not been "cracked", thus none of the TQ values (TQ Converter/Clutch Pressure during shifts, Expected TQ Values, etc) can be reprogrammed for modified cars. Ironically, the 335d 6AT would be a better OEM direct-swap mod, but that trans is pre-programmed for a 5k Redline (vs. the N54s 7k Redline).

Until the trans can be reprogramed beyond the Alpina TCM Flash, expect more and more trans to slowly fail over time when combined with high power setups/regular "track" use.

Results >
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoncho View Post
Thats why you need a better main radiator for cooling the water that is also used to cool the AT
Yea a better main would be great, alternatively I was thinking a dedicated AT cooler would help as a heat exchanger. Neither are particularly complicated, just some AN lines and space considerations. AT cooler are starting to pop up more with the Single builds going on.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0