E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Cannot not find suspension knock issue tried everything

10-16-2022, 02:34 PM   #1
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

Hi guys,

Really need some help this is doing my head in.

E92 330i n53 67k with EPS 2008 RHD in the UK

I get a clunk when cornering hard left when the suspension is compressed and hit a small bump. Also sometimes just turning left and hitting a small bump. The sounds is coming from the front right. Feels like something is bottoming out or something loose is knocking. At very low speeds I get a something's loose but also a low pitch muffled thudding rattle. I get this over small ridges and cracks at about 15mph.

I have tried the following as part of my upgrades and refresh.

New Tension strut arms and bolts (TRW M3)
New control arms and bolts (TRW m3)
New shocks koni special active
New discs and pads
New bump stops
New top mounts
Tighten steering column bolt on cv joint.
retorqued all suspension bolts.
New droplinks
Tight front subframe bolts on right side.
E92 m3 sway bar and new sway bar bushes.
Chassis ears on all the suspension parts except steering rack.

I have new tie rod ends but haven't fitted them I just got a great deal on them.

Recently I've noticed that the steering may not be centering as well as it used to. I just had it aligned. But sometimes it doesn't immediately self centre. When centered the steering tracks straight.

Starting to think it's the steering rack.

How do I check play on the steering rack for faults?

I'm going to retorque steering rack to subframe mounting bolts next.

Anything else I can try.

I'm contemplating taking to BMW to check. I do have warranty but they charge me a fortune for inspection.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Forgot to add I cannot feel anything through the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 12:52 PM   #3
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

67k miles? I'm a 116k miles and can't imagine your steering rack being the issue here. I've adjusted and replaced a few of the parts you mentioned above. Did you replace the TIE RODS yet? In my opinion I'd replace the whole rod. That's a common failure part. When I replaced mine you could clearly see they were smoked. The steering improved after replacement.
Another idea; not sure how you're diagnosing the sound but maybe you can jack up the front wheels, and "drop" the front (without damaging plastics) and see if you can pinpoint the sound. It's hard to find clunks and noises when driving. Or you can bring a passenger, find a corner that makes this sound, and have them stand next to the road and listen for the clunk from OUTSIDE the car.
We went through this exact process fixing my wife's Chevy Volt. Turned out to be a loose sway bar end link. I replaced the old struts for basically no reason

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 10-17-2022 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 01:50 PM   #4
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
67k miles? I'm a 116k miles and can't imagine your steering rack being the issue here. I've adjusted and replaced a few of the parts you mentioned above. Did you replace the TIE RODS yet? In my opinion I'd replace the whole rod. That's a common failure part. When I replaced mine you could clearly see they were smoked. The steering improved after replacement.
Another idea; not sure how you're diagnosing the sound but maybe you can jack up the front wheels, and "drop" the front (without damaging plastics) and see if you can pinpoint the sound. It's hard to find clunks and noises when driving. Or you can bring a passenger, find a corner that makes this sound, and have them stand next to the road and listen for the clunk from OUTSIDE the car.
We went through this exact process fixing my wife's Chevy Volt. Turned out to be a loose sway bar end link. I replaced the old struts for basically no reason
Thanks dude, it's good to here positive things for the rack I hope it's ok.

I did tighten up the subframe-tension strut mount bolt yesterday and so far so good. I think it's got the clunk sorted.

I still have the rumbling noise though. Which may be steering rack.

I will also try tightening the steering mount bolts as that seems to be a known issue for loosening and it's easy to retorque them.

I've also seen that the rack has a tension adjustment that can come loose and is easy to tweak. However seeing as my steering wheel doesn't centre easily I may need to loosen it.

I have tried dropping the car and bouncing while on full lock nothing happens. Like you said hard to replicate unless driving.

I'm going to at least post what I have tried in case anyone else has the same problem as me.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

What is the condition of your engine mounts? I chased a clunk that ended up being a collapsed engine mount.

Also check that the struts were installed with all the correct pieces and that the top nut on the strut rod is torqued properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 09:33 AM   #6
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

Dealing with loose parts is so annoying. Could be an engine mount but I seriously doubt it given such low mileage. Mine are solid and I'm at 116K miles. Been under my car numerous times fixing/upgrading stuff. My struts are worn out (one possibly leaking?) but I don't have the cash to replace them. It's just a fun money pit.

Last edited by Jaronbwall; 11-01-2022 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 04:49 AM   #7
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
What is the condition of your engine mounts? I chased a clunk that ended up being a collapsed engine mount.

Also check that the struts were installed with all the correct pieces and that the top nut on the strut rod is torqued properly.
In haven't check the engine mounts but the engine is solid when it's revved stationary. Should be able to see visual wear on the engine mounts?

I found a rubber mount that the air box is supposed to sit wedge between the subframe and the oil heat exchanger. I refitted in the correct place and I thing the sound reduce a little.

Next I torqued the steering rack bolts, and checked all the arms where they mount to the subframe. I also torque the front subframe bolts and ARB mounts.
Sound got worse??🤬

The only other thing I have removed and put back on is the under-tray so I've ordered a under-tray bolt kit as one bolt is missing on the heat shield on the under-tray. As far as I know I do t think the undertray had ever been remove when I purchased the car at 60k and the noise started when I removed it the first time.

It's so annoying the car is driving great apart from this noise it's so frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 09:46 AM   #8
Jaronbwall
United_States
Rep

The under-tray can make noise but it's not a "clunk when cornering hard left". I'd rule that out. Even with two or three screws/bolts missing it's just going to rattle slightly.

"However seeing as my steering wheel doesn't centre easily" - what exactly does this mean? Unless someone was messing with or replaced the rack you're steering wheel should dead center. Even doing DP or subframe stuff you don't remove the rack. It's connected but moved out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 06:38 PM   #9
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaronbwall View Post
The under-tray can make noise but it's not a "clunk when cornering hard left". I'd rule that out. Even with two or three screws/bolts missing it's just going to rattle slightly.

"However seeing as my steering wheel doesn't centre easily" - what exactly does this mean? Unless someone was messing with or replaced the rack you're steering wheel should dead center. Even doing DP or subframe stuff you don't remove the rack. It's connected but moved out of the way.
So steering is because I running max negative camber. More steering effort is need and it centre's slightly slower.

The left had turn noise has gone it was a traction strut bolt that need tightening.

Thanks for info on the undertray I'm going try anyway because it's cheap.

Problem is I feel no vibration through the steering wheel at all but I can hear from the front of the car. Just sounds like some heavy ish is loose and vibrates/bumps around. Had to describe.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 03:01 PM   #10
Simbl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Got to the bottom of the rattle/noise.

Turns out if you over torque the arb mounts vibration passes into the subframe. The noise got worse when I tightened the mounts. Bang on the torque setting and they are fine.

The only nvh I have now is due to the rose bushes on the m3 arms.
Appreciate 0