E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Outlet Charge Pipe

04-02-2020, 12:56 PM   #23
vrracing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i coupe. DCI

I just installed the aluminum VRSF outlets. They fit fine. Access is a nightmare but that is vendor-neutral even with the subframe removed. I would recommend removing the metal water pipe to make life much easier so you'll probably want the special rounded rectangular o-ring.
      04-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #24
Viking.dk
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrracing View Post
I just installed the aluminum VRSF outlets. They fit fine. Access is a nightmare but that is vendor-neutral even with the subframe removed. I would recommend removing the metal water pipe to make life much easier so you'll probably want the special rounded rectangular o-ring.
Thank you for info. Did you reuse V Band?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #25
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking.dk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrracing View Post
Thank you for info. Did you reuse V Band?
If we are talking about this

https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-n54-tu...4-e90-e92.html

I installed mine in about 90 minutes from the top.

It's a little tricky getting both pipes to match up before installing the silicone connector, but that's how I did it. I tried putting the silicone connector on one end and then matching the other end. No dice.

I would also wrap the silicone connector in DEI gold tape. It's really close to the exhaust manifold. The adapter never gets hotter than 250, with the DEI gold tape on it when I check it with a laser temp gauge. So, the tape is worth it's weight in gold.

Keep in mind Silicone is only rated for 500 degrees at best. The exhaust manifold can reach that temp after a long drive, on a hot summer day, no problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:23 PM   #26
vrracing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i coupe. DCI

Yes I did reuse the little v-bands. VRSF didnt provide new ones. They seemed fine but as you may know the 'hinge' is just flexible metal so if they arent virgin it might be worth ordering new ones. My Mitsubishi rattlers look untouched and I didnt have any issues.

Another recommendation I would make is to start with the back turbo and work your way forward. I had installed the 7.5" VRSF intercooler a few weeks ago and had to remove it to get the outlets lined up. The silicone coupler VRSF provides to connect the outlets to the intercooler (part of the intercooler kit) is very long and goes way up both the turbo outlet and the intercooler inlet.