E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Alignment Refused by BMW and 2 shops!

02-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
Wag-on
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 e91 328i 6MT MSport

Alignment Refused by BMW and 2 shops!

Hi guys,

2008 e91 328 RWD Sport. Did a complete suspension refresh with M3 upper and lower Control arms, Eibach pro-kit springs which lower 1" in front and 0.8" in rear, and Koni Special Active dampers.

I brought it to Firestone for alignment after - they did the front but refused to do the rear. Brought it to another shop - refused. Finally brought it to the BMW dealer near my house, they refused as well. I can't get anyone to do an alignment. I'm in northern NJ. Any help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
did they give a reason...?

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
Wag-on
Registered
Rep

Firestone did the front, then found out it was lowered and stopped. Both of the shops referred me to BMW, said they cant do the back because basically they plug the year make and model into the computer and it tells them what to set the suspension at. With it lowered they can't adjust for that in the computer. BMW said they don't do work on modified suspensions. Stock only.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

What the actual fuck?
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6014.50
      02-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #5
kamaaina1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i x-drive

Garage List
You may need to take to a shop that specializes in customized suspension...
Maybe this shop?

https://www.autobahnnj.com/Services/...-Lowering-Kits
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

What a joke. How far north are you? This shop is good but it might be too far from you.
http://www.bimmerclinic.com/

Only reason I was denied by bmw was because I didn't have stock wheels that had the pin holes.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #7
ky0u
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, f22 m235i, e30 325is

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325IS  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag-on View Post
they cant do the back because basically they plug the year make and model into the computer and it tells them what to set the suspension at.
What kinda weak ass excuse is this? if it makes you feel better, I wouldn't trust a shop that says this to touch my car in the first place

You can try taking your car to a performance shop if anything. Some of them do alignments and will for sure be able to properly align your car without needing a stupid answer key and applying blanket settings to a make/model
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
Wag-on
Registered
Rep

Thanks guys, recommendations for shops help. I was pretty frustrated, glad to hear I'm not the crazy one.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
nyteryda3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i - LCI

just yelp alignment and you'll see shops in your area that can handle lowered cars. i wouldn't trust firestone anyways, hope you didn't pay them a dime for whatever they did to the front.

2009 BMW 335i 6-MT: M-Sport - ST Coilovers - BBS LM
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Hi guys,

2008 e91 328 RWD Sport. Did a complete suspension refresh with M3 upper and lower Control arms, Eibach pro-kit springs which lower 1" in front and 0.8" in rear, and Koni Special Active dampers.

I brought it to Firestone for alignment after - they did the front but refused to do the rear. Brought it to another shop - refused. Finally brought it to the BMW dealer near my house, they refused as well. I can't get anyone to do an alignment. I'm in northern NJ. Any help is appreciated.
SJF Performance, they are right by you. Tell him I sent you.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #11
Silnismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Mavis in Edison will align it no problem, most of the lowered cars in the area go there since their alignment machine can clear it no problem.

They did mine and my car is pretty low on coils.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:24 PM   #12
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:

Interested in DIY alignment? Most're scared of mine -> camber plates

Working on a shadetree procedure - only tech is a Longacre caster/camber digital gauge:

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

I say this all the time and people get all bent out of shape about it. Read the fine print at any big box store. They don't do performance alignments on modified cars. Period. They want you to come in and spend $189 on simple 2-wheel toe-and-go alignments. That's how they make money. The fine print is there though so you have no leg to stand on that they won't touch it regardless of how dumb of a policy it is. Throwing the tech a $20 can sometimes help...

Take it to a performance shop.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2020, 10:52 PM   #14
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

Just got mine done at two Firestone stores. There are three, all three refuse "BMW, Merc, etc," for "special equipment and weights". Talked my way into two. One shop did a shot job and couldn't do a proper toe, TWICE. Probably jacked up machine calibration.
The other did the job right first time. Gave me the -1.5 camber in the rear like I asked for.
They all use the same machine. It's about the monkey with the wrench.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 12:02 AM   #15
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I have trouble finding a place that can get my slammed SC400 on the rack...turned out I hit the jackpot with Discount Tire. They're the only ones around I could find that have their alignment racks sunk into the concrete floor so they're flush and don't need ramps. Plus the guy who does the alignments at my local DT is old school. He did a killer job and aligned to the specs I asked for and it was cheap. Anyway, might want to give Discount Tire a shot if you have any local to you.

Last edited by Emilime75; 03-06-2020 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 05:28 PM   #16
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Interested in DIY alignment? Most're scared of mine -> camber plates
Yup...I'm amazed by how many people are more than confident to do brakes, subframe bushings, control arms, struts, etc. but are overwhelmed with fear at the thought of DIY alignment.

A spool of fishing line and set of 4 jackstands is not that scary people...get it together.
Appreciate 1
bbnks21206.50
      03-06-2020, 07:21 AM   #17
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
Just got mine done at two Firestone stores. There are three, all three refuse "BMW, Merc, etc," for "special equipment and weights". Talked my way into two. One shop did a shot job and couldn't do a proper toe, TWICE. Probably jacked up machine calibration.
The other did the job right first time. Gave me the -1.5 camber in the rear like I asked for.
They all use the same machine. It's about the monkey with the wrench.
These cars are insanely easy to align. Techs are just lazy and don't want to actually do a multi-wheel alignment. Cars like Honda's don't have and adjustments in the rear so they charge you for a four-wheel alignment and just set your front toe in 2 seconds lol. That and the corporate policy not to touch BMW's because it calls for passenger simulation with weights... Technically every car should do this! It's all dumb. Reality is though they only want to get your car on the alignment rack so they can then up-sell you on 10 other services. Ever sit in the waiting area of a Firestone? The shit you hear them telling people to make money is insane lol.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Yup...I'm amazed by how many people are more than confident to do brakes, subframe bushings, control arms, struts, etc. but are overwhelmed with fear at the thought of DIY alignment.

A spool of fishing line and set of 4 jackstands is not that scary people...get it together.
I read or it was my understanding doing doing a alignment yourself you could only do 1 parameter and even then your alignement will never be as good as the ones with lasers and the proper machines?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:38 AM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
These cars are insanely easy to align. Techs are just lazy and don't want to actually do a multi-wheel alignment. Cars like Honda's don't have and adjustments in the rear so they charge you for a four-wheel alignment and just set your front toe in 2 seconds lol. That and the corporate policy not to touch BMW's because it calls for passenger simulation with weights... Technically every car should do this! It's all dumb. Reality is though they only want to get your car on the alignment rack so they can then up-sell you on 10 other services. Ever sit in the waiting area of a Firestone? The shit you hear them telling people to make money is insane lol.
All the lowered cars go to the local Honda dealer for the alignement here lol. They've always adjusted my car properly.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #20
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I read or it was my understanding doing doing a alignment yourself you could only do 1 parameter and even then your alignement will never be as good as the ones with lasers and the proper machines?
You read wrong. Those "proper machines" you trust run by someome making minimum wage use camera-based systems; not lasers. Given that, good luck getting any kind of consistency out of any job they do...not to mention, who knows how poorly calibrated those wheel clamps get after being thrown around all day. You'd be better off just driving over those "quick alignment calculators" that some dealership service bays use these days.

You can certainly use lasers at home though, if thats your thing. Either way, you'll end up with more repeatable results and a bit more cash in your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #21
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
You read wrong. Those "proper machines" you trust run by someome making minimum wage use camera-based systems; not lasers. Given that, good luck getting any kind of consistency out of any job they do...not to mention, who knows how poorly calibrated those wheel clamps get after being thrown around all day. You'd be better off just driving over those "quick alignment calculators" that some dealership service bays use these days.

You can certainly use lasers at home though, if thats your thing. Either way, you'll end up with more repeatable results and a bit more cash in your pocket.
this.

unless you have an alignment shpo that you trust not to do a shit job you can probably do just as good at home.

never underestimate what someone that actually gives a shit about the car is capable of.

remember that nobody at any shop cares about your car as much as you do.

and when you find that one shop that actually seems to give a shit, toss them an extra $20 to show that you appreciate it.

It took me 4 alignment places to find one I was happy with.
and now he's my guy.
I told him as much, and that his attention to detail on the alignment earned him a thousand dollars worth of tire business next month too.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #22
Freddie92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamaaina1 View Post
You may need to take to a shop that specializes in customized suspension...
Maybe this shop?

https://www.autobahnnj.com/Services/...-Lowering-Kits
Old post but kinda funny, I do their alignments at a Firestone. Never had a problem with a modified car/truck if i had the wheel well clearance for the alignment heads to fit. If the shop is too lazy to do it right, you don't want them touching your car anyway
Appreciate 1