E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i N54 Smog & Decibel Test?Cali

04-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #23
WoodE30
Capt. Maverick
Rep
Drives: 89 E30 325is, E92 335i N54

Garage List
2013 X5 3.5xdrive  [0.00]
1989 325is  [0.00]
2008 335I coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyAsf27 View Post
Damn so Basically With absolutely no cats in the car primary or secondary I can pass smog easily with that device sounds good lol. I am also curious about visual inspection though
I wouldn't say easily, as for readiness codes it would pass but visual it would fail. Most smog places will at least pop the hood and do a quick glance at it.

The biggest thing that made me go back to stock as much as possible are the SMOG/emission CHP/B.A.R random check points. I've come across 3 of these. They are voluntary to allow them to inspect your vehicle but I still didn't want to even deal with getting caught.

What part of Cali do you live?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #24
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodE30 View Post
Quote:
Damn so Basically With absolutely no cats in the car primary or secondary I can pass smog easily with that device sounds good lol. I am also curious about visual inspection though
I wouldn't say easily, as for readiness codes it would pass but visual it would fail. Most smog places will at least pop the hood and do a quick glance at it.

The biggest thing that made me go back to stock as much as possible are the SMOG/emission CHP/B.A.R random check points. I've come across 3 of these. They are voluntary to allow them to inspect your vehicle but I still didn't want to even deal with getting caught.

What part of Cali do you live?
True .. and about the downpipe fix doesnt that only pass the ecu check? Because Ive seen videos where they check the end of the exhaust tips by inserting a device that checks for emisions so wouldnt it fail here regardless of the downpipe fix?

Im in San Diego Area, ive never seen one of those checkpoints here it sounds crazy to me , what area you from that does that?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #25
WoodE30
Capt. Maverick
Rep
Drives: 89 E30 325is, E92 335i N54

Garage List
2013 X5 3.5xdrive  [0.00]
1989 325is  [0.00]
2008 335I coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
True .. and about the downpipe fix doesnt that only pass the ecu check? Because Ive seen videos where they check the end of the exhaust tips by inserting a device that checks for emisions so wouldnt it fail here regardless of the downpipe fix?

Im in San Diego Area, ive never seen one of those checkpoints here it sounds crazy to me , what area you from that does that?
2004 and newer they only check readiness code, no tail pipe.

I'm in the LA area. Yeah they're BS.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #26
e90 Second Incarnate
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Two of the three smogs did include a visual, but I don't think these guys knew what they were looking for. Both times they used a mirror and looked up under the driver side by the door. I imagine they see the cats behind the DPs, and think all is good. You can't really see the cats from under the hood anyway.

Smog is done through the OBD port only, no tailpipe sniffer.

I have MMP DPs, and the rest of the exhaust is stock, I'm in the bay area. There is technically a way to use the DP Fix with the JB4, but I had some trouble with that the first time, and I just ditch the JB4 every time I need to smog, and then reinstall.

If you are local to me, I'm happy to loan you the DP fix with some collateral, and help you install.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #27
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodE30 View Post
Quote:

2004 and newer they only check readiness code, no tail pipe.

I'm in the LA area. Yeah they're BS.
Oh alright Maybe an aftermarket catted downpipe is good because it would pass visual inspection and downpipe fix can be added as well
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:43 PM   #28
EdgyAsf27
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90 Second Incarnate View Post
Two of the three smogs did include a visual, but I don't think these guys knew what they were looking for. Both times they used a mirror and looked up under the driver side by the door. I imagine they see the cats behind the DPs, and think all is good. You can't really see the cats from under the hood anyway.

Smog is done through the OBD port only, no tailpipe sniffer.

I have MMP DPs, and the rest of the exhaust is stock, I'm in the bay area. There is technically a way to use the DP Fix with the JB4, but I had some trouble with that the first time, and I just ditch the JB4 every time I need to smog, and then reinstall.

If you are local to me, I'm happy to loan you the DP fix with some collateral, and help you install.
Ill do downpipe fix with aftermarket catted downpipes to pass visual and check engine light most likely.
Appreciate 0