E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > DS Mode not engaging - HELP

11-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #23
eduardomi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 e93 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardomi View Post
Sweet!!!! Congrats man!

Now I have to find someone either willing to let me test on their car or a cheap part on ebay.

Enjoy your ride in DS bro!

k.
Update...not knowing anyone in my area willing to letting me try their part on my car I had to purchase one from eBay. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

I guess my last resort is to purchase a complete gearshift assembly, damn.

Thanks!

k
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #24
gobbell1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30Si

I have a similar issue with my 2006 330i but not exactly the same. Let me explain;

1. While in "D" mode, all is fine. Shifts good, indicators on console and dash are correct.

2. While in "DS" mode, I have a "searching" issue in 4th and 5th gear. The dash shows "DS" and the console is correct, but while in 4th, it will shift up to 5th and back to 4th over and over again. This just started a week ago and I found no broken wires.

Anybody else witness this?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
gobbell1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 30Si

bump?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 08:30 AM   #26
orange_square
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Same exact issue as OP here with the only small difference that when I shift from D to the left, the small indicator light on the left doesn't light up. When in D the light is on, but when I shift it in DS to the left neither lights are on. And just like OP, I don't get DS on my dashboard and definitely the care doesn't engage in sport mode.
eduardomi if you are still around can you let us know what you ended up doing to fix it?

Thanks
      03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #27
eduardomi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_square View Post
Same exact issue as OP here with the only small difference that when I shift from D to the left, the small indicator light on the left doesn't light up. When in D the light is on, but when I shift it in DS to the left neither lights are on. And just like OP, I don't get DS on my dashboard and definitely the care doesn't engage in sport mode.
eduardomi if you are still around can you let us know what you ended up doing to fix it?

Thanks
Hey guys, my problem was a bit different from yours but here is what fixed it:

First of all, in my car when I moved the shifter to the left (in order to engage DS mode) the dash indicator stayed in "D", meaning it was not engaging DS mode, certainly the car didnt feel as quick as in DS mode. My transmision never hesitated to change gears and all the lights turned on (dash and shifter plate). The only problem is that the car was not recognizing the DS mode.

I checked for wires and nothing, I changed the complete shifter and nothing, I changed the shifter plate (plastic piece with the PRNDL) and nothing. After much research and reading I found a document for the "mechatronics seal change" (Usually our transmissions leak through the mechatronics seal if your seal is the 1st version. You will notice it if the transmission pan looks soaked in oil or you drip one or two drops of tranny oil a week).

Thisi document showed the correct way to change the mechatronics seal which is a very delicate procedure. Well, turns out that in order to change the seal you have to disconnect the mechatronics plug, change the seal and reconnect the plug. The plug has a series of pins that can get damaged if not installed right. This is what happened to me. There is a pin specifically for the DS mode and the shop I took it to damaged this pin. I took it back to the shop, showed them the document and asked them to check for the damaged pin...after 30 mins they saw the damaged pin and repaired it. After that the transmission worked perfectly.

This may not be your issue and yours sounds more like a PRNDL plate (orange_square). I have a spare one if you havent tried this.

As for "gobell1" I suggest you reset the transmission adaptations, you can do this using a BT cable or by pressing the gas pedal for 10 secs (search for that procedure here in the forums), other than that it may be that one of your solenoids in the mechatronics is giving up and in that case it will be a major and expensive repair. Anything that involves the word mechatronics in these cars will run well in the thousands of dollars.

Shoot me a PM if you have any question, after much research I think I could be of some help.

GL

e.
Appreciate 2
BSG33528.50
      03-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #28
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Check your wire harness to the shifter. Frequent use has been known to cause chafing and results in tons of random DS and M mode issues. There are threads on this forum and 1addicts about it.
09 135I M (VK80379) 6MT. Race Project car. 1) Install Cobb/piggyback? and Motiv 600 Kit[HTA3076R w/ tial .82] 2) JRZ or Moton suspension. 3) Build high flow intake manifold with multi-port fuel and relocate OFH 4) Build full cage 5) Complete staged twin setup with HTA4205R [w/Tial 1.16] 6) Complete dry sump system
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #29
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobbell1 View Post
I have a similar issue with my 2006 330i but not exactly the same. Let me explain;

1. While in "D" mode, all is fine. Shifts good, indicators on console and dash are correct.

2. While in "DS" mode, I have a "searching" issue in 4th and 5th gear. The dash shows "DS" and the console is correct, but while in 4th, it will shift up to 5th and back to 4th over and over again. This just started a week ago and I found no broken wires.

Anybody else witness this?

your probably right at that point on the throttle and speed for the DME to tell it tell downshift because your revs are to low to be in DS mode and then if you slightly and if you slightly accelerate in 4th gear just a hair enough in DS mode it will shift back up to 5th gear and so on. It all depends on the throttle position/rpm's since your in "sport" mode. Unless im understanding your issue
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #30
orange_square
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will try to get in there and see what I'll find. eduardomi I will keep in mind about your spare PRND plate in case I need one.
      06-02-2014, 02:44 AM   #31
eduardomi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_square View Post
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will try to get in there and see what I'll find. eduardomi I will keep in mind about your spare PRND plate in case I need one.
Sure man, let me know.

good luck

E-
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #32
328iwagon
328iwagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i wagon 2009

Quote:
Sure man, let me know.

good luck

E-
Hi Eduardomi, i know this post is old but i would like to know if you have solved that problem with the ds mode.

i have a 328i wagon with the 335i complete swap and since i swap i don't haves mode or paddle shifter to work.

i can change guess if i move the gear shift to the left like m1 m2 m3 m4 m5 m6 but not ds mode on the dash at all when i move the gear shift know to the left .

let me know

thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #33
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iwagon View Post
Hi Eduardomi, i know this post is old but i would like to know if you have solved that problem with the ds mode.

i have a 328i wagon with the 335i complete swap and since i swap i don't haves mode or paddle shifter to work.

i can change guess if i move the gear shift to the left like m1 m2 m3 m4 m5 m6 but not ds mode on the dash at all when i move the gear shift know to the left .

let me know

thank you
Read post 27
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 05:39 PM   #34
clc2390
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Problem with shifter but not wire

Mine is having a kinda same issue...but it's when I pull shifter to the left it won't stay to the left unless I hold it. Otherwise it just goes back to the center all most like something is n the ay of it latching in place...any ideas???
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #35
Kienvu14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' E90 N54 Aspen White

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc2390
Mine is having a kinda same issue...but it's when I pull shifter to the left it won't stay to the left unless I hold it. Otherwise it just goes back to the center all most like something is n the ay of it latching in place...any ideas???
Try pulling up the trim piece to see if there is anything blocking it
      12-03-2018, 05:33 AM   #36
Ramramo
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 328 2007

Hello Guys i have a similar problem on my 328i 2007. i replaced my GM tranmission (automatic) with the same GM 6l45 transmission, but that transmission was taken from a 328i 2009 year model car. everything works great except the ds mode. it engages in DS mode and works fine for 40-50 seconds when i start the car and then it reverts itself in D mode, it does the same on each start. i changed my normal steering wheel with a paddle shifter one, because the 2009 328i had a paddle shifter, it did not fix. then i checked the wires in the shift assembly and all the wires seems okay, then i tried a new shift assembly from the 2009 328i model, still did not fix. I would really appreciate if anyone could help. i've been trying to fix this for 3 weeks already.

P.S sorry for non excellent english. Hope you can understand the situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #37
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramramo View Post
Hello Guys i have a similar problem on my 328i 2007. i replaced my GM tranmission (automatic) with the same GM 6l45 transmission, but that transmission was taken from a 328i 2009 year model car. everything works great except the ds mode. it engages in DS mode and works fine for 40-50 seconds when i start the car and then it reverts itself in D mode, it does the same on each start. i changed my normal steering wheel with a paddle shifter one, because the 2009 328i had a paddle shifter, it did not fix. then i checked the wires in the shift assembly and all the wires seems okay, then i tried a new shift assembly from the 2009 328i model, still did not fix. I would really appreciate if anyone could help. i've been trying to fix this for 3 weeks already.

P.S sorry for non excellent english. Hope you can understand the situation.
Was it coded after the install?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 06:43 AM   #38
assassinsbrotherhood
330d E90 LCI M Sport.
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 330d e90 LCI M Sport

Garage List
SAME ISSUE.

Hey Bro, Did you end up getting to the bottom of the issue.? Im in the same boat. Replaced with "NEW" shifter, bezel plate, and even shift knob. No errors to speak of either. Just no D/S mode. Exactly the same as you can shift with paddles , but soon goes back to "D". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #39
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassinsbrotherhood View Post
Hey Bro, Did you end up getting to the bottom of the issue.? Im in the same boat. Replaced with "NEW" shifter, bezel plate, and even shift knob. No errors to speak of either. Just no D/S mode. Exactly the same as you can shift with paddles , but soon goes back to "D". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Has the transmission been properly serviced?

That is... Seals, Sleeves and Transmission solenoids all changed?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 08:55 AM   #40
newjz
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 335xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn16E90 View Post
got the car and problem was solved !!
Sweet!!!! Congrats man!

Now I have to find someone either willing to let me test on their car or a cheap part on ebay.

k.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn16E90 View Post
got the car and problem was solved !!
Sweet!!!! Congrats man!

k.
Did you find a solution?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 02:38 PM   #41
J0s3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i M

Hello.

Wish you all guys are doing good.

I'm kind a new in the forum, I have read a lot of topics but don't remember to post anything before. This time I would like to share my experience with this issue.
After reading this post and considering the symptoms of my 2011 328i E90, I didn't hesitate to purchase the shift cover, after waiting a week to have the time to install I had the surprise the replacement didn't solved the problem, DS mode wasn't engaging... I was able to shift manually from the shift pad and shift knob, up and down without any issues but after sometime the configuration went back from M mode to D mode.
After that, I woke up pretty ealier the next morning to work in the car, this time I removed the shift boot and without disassembling anything more I tryed to look to those wires hidden and twisted inside the plastic cover, tryed to pull specifically the white one because I read here and in some other topics that it was probably the source of the issue, to my surprise, it was kind of thight to be pulled with a small screwdriver but at least it got and was cut. After that I did all the process described some posts before and soldered the two loose end, problem solved.

My recomendation is to inspect carefully before doing anything else, aparently the white wire is the one that controls the signal for de DS mode, if that one is cut and your problem is that the car won't engage the DS mode but allows to up shift or down shift it is probably it.
Appreciate 0