E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Im selling my car

01-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #23
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Before the MKV I only had MKI's and MKII - The proper GTI's, none of this MKIII and MKIV pansy stuff!!!!!

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #24
SnAzBaZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Interesting thread :-)

I just swapped my E46 320CD for a S3 last week. I have a pretty basic spec on mine.

Dolphin Grey, Silver / Black Leather, BOSE, iPod, Bluetooth, Parking Sensors, Auto Lights.

Getting 25MPG but have only put two tanks in it, so will see what happens over a longer term. Run it only on Super Unleaded to avoid huge chunks being taken out of the service interval but the computer. Supposed to be 19,000 service interval, but mine is already down to 11,300 after 500 miles ? :-)

Me thinks the dealer put unleaded in it as the delivery tank!

Very happy with it at the moment, different drive than the diesels I have been used to, looking forward to piling some miles on it.

BOSE audio is good IMO, much better than the standard BMW stuff, can't comment compared to LOGIC 7 as I haven't owned a car with it.

Don't buy the sat nav factory fitted, as you can get it retro fitted for about £900, which compared to over £2k on the options list, is a pretty good saving!!

Andrew
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #25
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Oli, you sound a bit confused about what you want to do and I sence you are looking to trade your car because of some of the following reasons.

1. Simply you can
2. Because you have done this 6 month trade thing in the past and see it as normal. I am the same I have owned 5 new cars since the 05 plate.
3. Your in the trade and hence you are wiser than the average punter, can tell everyone how little you have lost and how you have your ear to the ground
4. Free up £5k ish for whatever you want it for. I don't get this statement as if you are going from owning to finance it may be £30k but if thats the case you can surely do this with your own car. £5k is easy to make for a man like you by selling Mr Mid life Crisis that nice MX5 on your forecourt and putting a vicar in a 1.9 golf. So this is no reason imo.

The A3 does look old now. It;s not really a hot hatch its a very fast version of a comfortable small family car. I would not put £30k into this and keep your very nice looking BMW which is overall a much better car. If it's the hot hatch route I would rather drive a real hot hatch of the smaller variety if I was going this route. Say a Cooper S for the sake of arguments.

But I think keep your car as you know more than most that the only winners on quickly traded cars are dealers with exception of latest must haves if you run for 3 months then trade.

If you buy the Audi you will be bored in 3 months time and the Audi will be worth £5 less than you paid for it and your BMW will have depreciated £1500 in the same time.

Keep your money to save for that 911 and if you don't need the backs seats buy the Boxster or the Cayman. It handles better is far more fun to drive on a daily basis and you can have a boxster with nice spec on your drive for £35k or an S for £42 new.

Now that is a real bargin.
      01-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #26
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Im not trading my car , Im retailing it, and I have finance on it but have about £5k of my own money in it, that I need for work!!! Over a similar period of time, on balance payments on the S3, it works out at £100 a month less which also chips in on the mortgage extenion - especially as my wife is off on maternity leave. For me 6 months is a great time to own a car, as Im usually just reaching the boredom bit, espcially as being in the trade, I can buy cars at trade and then sell them retail.

The Mini cooper is too small for me, and I see it as a girls car(no offence meant anyone) - even though it is a great drive, I do not want a front wheel drive car again.

I will be saving a massive chunk over retail on the S3 (£2.5kish), and again if I choose to move it on in 6 months, I will retail it, and the losses, if any, will be minimal. I also dont see your comment on the S3 not being a hot hatch - its a hatch back, has 262BHP standard (over 300 when mapped), hits sixty in well under 6 seconds and is the fastest hatch that evo have had round their track. It might be a bit over clinical compared to some, and doesnt have the lovely v6 howl that my old R32 used to make with the Milltek, but it will satisfy my needs until the next itch starts.....

Dont have the money for a 997 yet, just need to clear my business loans, and at present would need the rear seats.

I see myself as being in a fortunate position - I love cars, and am in a position to change frequently, and keeping losses down. Howver Id much rather be in a position to get bricks and mortar cheaper,like some of my friends who make their money in the housing game

The three main factors for the change are;

saving money,
I prefer hatchbacks and always have done &
I sense boredom on the horizon with the 335D.

Thanks for your concerns, but Ive got everything covered

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0