E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Is BMW has any plan to introduce music "hard drive" like new G35?

04-14-2006, 08:48 PM   #45
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 X3, Formerly ‘06 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxman999
Infiniti's hard drive system may not be perfect yet, but it is the definitely right direction. It has built-in slot for Compact Flash which is dirt cheap now, so you can easily store or transfer music files from your computer. This seems much more integrated solution than stupid plug for iPod.
Let's break this down for ya:

30GB worth of Compact Flash cards to fit your music in your Infiniti: at least $1300

30GB iPod, which actually works outside your car, and plays video to boot: $299

Hmmm. Lemme think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxman999
By the way, when you compare the interior of E90 to new G35 as shown below, the G35's interior has much better "flow" and well integrated together. E90's interior has too many sharp edge and weird lines. I still get good laugh whenever I see the stupid cup holders in the E90....it's like BMW engineers forgot to design it and only add it at the last minutes
Thanks for the incredibly relevant comments concerning the interior design of a car that, obviously, most of the people on E90Post.com happen to LIKE. Most people won't agree with you, and because nobody is discussing the interior design, nobody really cares.

But hey, you just added LOADS of credibility to your argument!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #46
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74
Not everyone likes to be held hostage by apple.
Nope. Just by Microsoft.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #47
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74
Are you saying that bmw owners are ones to follow the crowd, no I believe that was for the folks who drive Camrys. Maybe the Camry should get the Ipod integration.
LOL, you should be lynched for this statement.

Last edited by SapphireBlackG01; 04-14-2006 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 09:00 PM   #48
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry to everyone who had to read my nasty replies. I'm cranky.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #49
gr8sho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325er
Newsflash for you guys, memory cards are the way of the future. Hard drives are archaic with moving parts etc. Look at the stock value of the two main companies that produce small hard drives for the IPODS versus the stock prices of memory card makers. FYI very shortly all IPODS will use memory cards only, and this is a postition Apple openly acknowledges. Therefore wouldn't a memory card slot in the car be the way to go? You dont need a built in hard drive in the car, just a slot. Totally portable music, lots of storage on the card (getting bigger very day) and seamless.
Yes, that is correct. If Apple licensed it's software for the iPod, the controller hardware could be moved from the iPod into the car itself. An 8GB SD card is already on the market. A couple of more turns of the crank and you'll have enough capacity. My Gen III iPod has 15GB so they only have to double the current SD card limit to surpass what I have.
Jet Black - Burl Walnut - Black Leather - 6MT
Sport Package - Premium Package - Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2006, 09:49 AM   #50
Jackdaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330 SE (E90) Auto

Surely the best solution is the Dension Gateway 500 when it is released in June together with a 300GB USB 3.5 inch drive. This will replace my 300 GB Neo Car Jukebox. 60 GB on an Ipod is woefully insufficient for a car jukebox unless everything is encoded at crappy bitrates.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2006, 01:38 AM   #51
SapphireBlackG01
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaw
Surely the best solution is the Dension Gateway 500 when it is released in June together with a 300GB USB 3.5 inch drive. This will replace my 300 GB Neo Car Jukebox. 60 GB on an Ipod is woefully insufficient for a car jukebox unless everything is encoded at crappy bitrates.
LOL, 60GB is enough to hold more than 85 audio CD's, completely uncompressed. Infinite? Obviously not. Woefully insufficient? Please.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2006, 05:42 AM   #52
Jackdaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330 SE (E90) Auto

Quote:
LOL, 60GB is enough to hold more than 85 audio CD's, completely uncompressed. Infinite? Obviously not. Woefully insufficient? Please.
I have become accustomed to choosing from thousands of albums as a result of possessing a Neo Car Jukebox for 5 years (they are no longer manufactured.) This took any 3.5 inch hard drive. However, I would rather be able to use the I-drive and monitor than the wired remote.
60 GB is fine for a smallish music collection. However, I have all the music I have ever had for the last 30 years encoded - the advantage is that I can play whatever music resurfaces in my memory whilst driving. I have the same files streamed wirelessly from a little linux server at home running Twonkyvision to network music players. Once all your music is archived you do not want a 60 GB cap. It's not as though size is an issue in the boot of a car.
Appreciate 0