E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > need help: adding 12w7 with 1000/1 amp

09-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
s1cke92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

need help: adding 12w7 with 1000/1 amp

hey im adding a JL Audio 12w7 with 1000/1 amp.

heres my question(s):

adding in subs....can i use my oem speakers all 13 of em or just bring it down to 4?

what do i need and how do i install some subs into my car?

will my ipod link still work if i put subs and using stock deck?

if i put a flip out in dash instead would it be louder n better then stock deck? and does my ipod link still work along with steering wheel functions? probably not right?

but as far as i know i want a stock DECK with some NICE, CLEAN, and LOUD BASS! also what would the stock speakers sound like with these subs install? anyone know?

iuno how to explain it anymore having a headache here thinking of how to get it install haha. any locals know how to install? help me out!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
pr325
Enlisted Member
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 325i 06'

Hi, I was in your same dilema. First I stayed with the OEM deck and had to put an Audio Control LC6i for everything to work, because if you don not do this you will not have any sound coming out because you have to disconnect the OEM amp. I finally change the deck and got an Alpine flip out and the sound now is unreal. If you change the deck all you need is a diferrent steering wheel controlers and you will be find to use everything from your radio.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
installmd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330I - Monaco Blue

you can keep the factory deck and just feed the JL sub amp by tapping off of the factory sub output. the JL can take a high level input by soldering RCA ends into a speaker wire that has been tapped into the sub channel output of the factory amp.

the only issue i see with your setup is the potential to greatly over power all of the factory speakers with the amount of bass that the JL W7 / 1000/1 combo can produce.

if you change the head you are going to have to add another amp with external x-overs to power the factory speakers, or replace the speakers along with the new deck and amp/s.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
dvpouldar26
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 328i, Porsche 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by installmd View Post
you can keep the factory deck and just feed the JL sub amp by tapping off of the factory sub output. the JL can take a high level input by soldering RCA ends into a speaker wire that has been tapped into the sub channel output of the factory amp.

the only issue i see with your setup is the potential to greatly over power all of the factory speakers with the amount of bass that the JL W7 / 1000/1 combo can produce.

if you change the head you are going to have to add another amp with external x-overs to power the factory speakers, or replace the speakers along with the new deck and amp/s.

I would do the same thing. I would tap the stock sub outputs from the stock amp into a line-output converter ( such as a PAC SNI-35), which would turn your high level amplified speaker wires into RCA's. Then you can run those RCA's to your amp for your subwoofer. With the combination of a 1000 watt rms amp and a 12w7, you will barely be able to hear the vocals in your music. I tried a 12" kicker l7 in a ported enclosure on 300 watts rms and i couldn't hear the words. I would also dynamat your whole trunk, and rear parcel shelf because they will rattle alot.
Appreciate 0