E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > For 6fl - Save your $$$$ - don't buy Ipod there's a better way!!!

10-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #243
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I am confused. Isn't there a couple of second delay between songs on all albums, CD or IPOD? Is this delay any different? I really want to buy a hard drive or IPOD and I am waiting to see what you guys figure out. I would love to get the hard drive since per dollar it seems like a much better choice.
Nothing to figure out. Songs normally don't have a delay. It might have some silence, but thats intention by the artist/label. But, music genre like trance/electronica do not have silence at the end of tracks since much of their music is continous track to track.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #244
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkoh View Post
Nothing to figure out. Songs normally don't have a delay. It might have some silence, but thats intention by the artist/label. But, music genre like trance/electronica do not have silence at the end of tracks since much of their music is continous track to track.
Do you have an artist or album in mind? I could test it out for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #245
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
I thought about the IOMEGA 120 GB 4200 rpm drive. Is there any advantage on some of the drives?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #246
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think must electronica albums work. But, what comes to mind is "Sasha & John Digweed - Northern Exposure"
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 09:31 AM   #247
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought about the IOMEGA 120 GB 4200 rpm drive. Is there any advantage on some of the drives?
I don't think so. Most 6FL will not play 5200rpm drives. So you are stuck with 4200rpm ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #248
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkoh View Post
I think must electronica albums work. But, what comes to mind is "Sasha & John Digweed - Northern Exposure"
The pause in between songs never bothered me however, I did a search and apparantly this "gap" in between songs is a real issue with mp3's.
http://www.pretentiousname.com/mp3players/
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #249
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm currently testing the buffalo 300gb drive, I think its 4200rpm and comes with a perfectly short right angle usb2 cable. I think it works great, but I usually don't listen to albums that play out as one big long song.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #250
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

My problem with USB solutions is that you can't set it to remember the position within a song/audio file. I listen to a lot of podcasts. With a one hour podcast, it is annoying to have to either listen to the whole thing at once or fast forward back to your old position.

BTW, I don't mean remembering position when you turn off the car. I mean remembering position when you take a break from your podcast to listen to a couple other songs on your usb drive.

If anyone knows a solution to this, I will praise you.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #251
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
I'm currently testing the buffalo 300gb drive, I think its 4200rpm and comes with a perfectly short right angle usb2 cable. I think it works great, but I usually don't listen to albums that play out as one big long song.
That Iomega is tough to beat for the price. I don't think there is anyway I could use the full 120 gb either. 300 gb is GIANT for someone like me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #252
jtmccabe
Commoner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloster View Post
My problem with USB solutions is that you can't set it to remember the position within a song/audio file. I listen to a lot of podcasts. With a one hour podcast, it is annoying to have to either listen to the whole thing at once or fast forward back to your old position.

BTW, I don't mean remembering position when you turn off the car. I mean remembering position when you take a break from your podcast to listen to a couple other songs on your usb drive.

If anyone knows a solution to this, I will praise you.
Even the iPod is like this. It's like they don't understand that some people listen to 2+ hour programs. You can't take a break to listen to something else. More annoying is that if you have the misfortune to accidentally hit the FF or REW button, it takes you FOREVER to get back to where you left off since max FF speed is 30 seconds at a time.
2008 335i sedan | 6MT | Dinan S2 flash | Titanium Silver/Black leather/Burl walnut | Sport | Premium | CW| CA | Nav | HD Radio | iPod/USB | Sirius | PDC | Style 162/230 (winter/summer) | M3 steering wheel | ZHP shift knob | Blacklines | Lux 4.0 | etc.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 01:05 PM   #253
gloster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmccabe View Post
Even the iPod is like this. It's like they don't understand that some people listen to 2+ hour programs. You can't take a break to listen to something else. More annoying is that if you have the misfortune to accidentally hit the FF or REW button, it takes you FOREVER to get back to where you left off since max FF speed is 30 seconds at a time.
I have good news for you; on the iPod you can set this. I do it all the time. That's why I won't switch from an iPod. Just "get info" on a song and change it to "remember position".

Now if someone can come up with a "remember position" for a hard drive/thumb drive
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #254
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

Quote:
There maybe a 2-3 second delay at the end of the song. But there doesn't seem to be any delay at the start of the next song in the album.
When selecting a new song there is a 2-3 sec delay in starting that song but that is no different than an ipod.
There's no delay in the MP3 files themselves (no more than there is on the original CD). The delay is caused by a device taking too long to read/play the next song.

I'm using a USB HD with the 6FL and when I hit prev/next or manually choose a song it takes 2 or 3 seconds to start playing the new song.

This is very noticeable with dance albums where there is not normally silence between songs at all. But most MP3 players don't handle that correctly and introduce an unwanted gap.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2007, 11:35 PM   #255
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
There's no delay in the MP3 files themselves (no more than there is on the original CD). The delay is caused by a device taking too long to read/play the next song.

I'm using a USB HD with the 6FL and when I hit prev/next or manually choose a song it takes 2 or 3 seconds to start playing the new song.

This is very noticeable with dance albums where there is not normally silence between songs at all. But most MP3 players don't handle that correctly and introduce an unwanted gap.
+1. Only winamp on my computer does it well. :sad0147:
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #256
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep

OK i took my friends collection of > 54,000 songs in over 3,400 albums (265GB of music) and loaded them into my little 300GB drive and it worked.
I did the alphabet sorting (A,B,C etc) which helps but I think I need to break it down to Artists within each folder so it doesn't take extended time to pull up each list.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #257
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

A little confused

This is a great post, espectially for a newbie like me. I'm getting my 335xi with the Ipod/USB port in a couple of weeks and am planning to get a 4200 rpm hard drive for it (I have an Ipod Nano, but I use that on the train and when running, and it can be a pain to always remember to disconnect and take with me). Sorry If I'm asking questions that have already been answered. I understand that so far no one has had a problem with a 4200 rpm drive. Still true? I understand there might be some issues with connecting the USB cable without a cable that extends to the left or right, rather than coming straight out (perhaps depending on the size of the drive?). I've seen a lot about discussion about time of indexing (I believe a one time issue, until you add songs to the hard drive), time lag between songs (a few seconds) and time lag when starting the car (maybe 20 seconds?). I've also seen some posts about the song not starting up in the same place after the car has been off for a while, but that perhaps the latest software fixes that problem. Finally, scrolling through songs takes a long time, although depending on how your folders are set up (e.g., a folder for each letter or two of the alphabet) can help. Are their any other problems I may not have caught? Has anyone tried this with the latest software to see which, if any, of these problems have been fixed?

Not sure if it matters, but I'll have the Logic7 system with NO i-drive.

Also, regarding song quality, if I get a large hard drive I might re-rip my CDs using WMA lossless, or at least an WMA or MP3 bit-rate that doesn't compress as much. Has anyone tried WMA lossless? I assume it will still add ID3 tags, unlike ripping WAV files?

Thanks for your help. I've learned a ton from this forum!

Last edited by cpippolo; 10-21-2007 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 08:48 AM   #258
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpippolo View Post
Also, regarding song quality, if I get a large hard drive I might re-rip my CDs using WMA lossless, or at least an WMA or MP3 bit-rate that doesn't compress as much. Has anyone tried WMA lossless? I assume it will still add ID3 tags, unlike ripping WAV files?
The car does not support WMA files. Your choices are either MP3 or WAV. Personally I use MP3 with the highest possible bitrate (320kbps CBR) and to me it sounds great...indistinguishable from the source CD.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 09:16 AM   #259
gloster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
The car does not support WMA files. Your choices are either MP3 or WAV. Personally I use MP3 with the highest possible bitrate (320kbps CBR) and to me it sounds great...indistinguishable from the source CD.
The car also does AAC.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 10:23 AM   #260
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I'm sprprised that it wouldn't work with WMA files. The following is from BMW's website:
Notes:
The USB audio interface currently supports the following compressed formats: MP3, AAC, WAV/PCM, WMA, M3U. WAV files are not supported in playlists.
However, MP3 with high bitrate may be good enough. Want to get as close to CD quality as possible, and since the hard drive I ordered is 120gb, I have plenty of room. Is there an advantage of AAC or any of the other supported compression technologies over MP3?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #261
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///N54

Hey Guys, another Newbie here, sorry

Questions:

1) Where can i buy the 6fl and how much is it?
2) Who does the installation? BMW? How much do they charge?
3) I have the I-drive with the AUX port no USB, would that be a problem?

I Appreciate your answers, although i can see ppl replying as ""
I am on the run and not much time to do so, thx in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #262
gloster
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpippolo View Post
Thanks. I'm sprprised that it wouldn't work with WMA files. The following is from BMW's website:
Notes:
The USB audio interface currently supports the following compressed formats: MP3, AAC, WAV/PCM, WMA, M3U. WAV files are not supported in playlists.
However, MP3 with high bitrate may be good enough. Want to get as close to CD quality as possible, and since the hard drive I ordered is 120gb, I have plenty of room. Is there an advantage of AAC or any of the other supported compression technologies over MP3?
Both WMA and AAC provide higher sound quality at equivalent bit rates than MP3. So using WMA or AAC will save you space or gain you sound quality versus MP3.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #263
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekMaverick View Post
Hey Guys, another Newbie here, sorry

Questions:

1) Where can i buy the 6fl and how much is it?
2) Who does the installation? BMW? How much do they charge?
3) I have the I-drive with the AUX port no USB, would that be a problem?

I Appreciate your answers, although i can see ppl replying as ""
I am on the run and not much time to do so, thx in advance
Come back and do a then.

I had to... Too easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #264
cpippolo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I received the Iomega 120gb 4200 rpm hard drive and have loaded up my music (used 256K bit rate to play it safe as I found A BMW document that suggests higher bitrates are not supported). However, I did not reformat the hard drive. I remember seeing some posts that said their hard drive "worked right out of the box" and other posts that have indicated they had to reformat. For those of you who bought an Iomega drive, did you have to reformat it to make it work with 6fl?

I haven't received my car yet (hopefully within a week or so) so can't try it myself yet.

Last edited by cpippolo; 10-30-2007 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: expanded
Appreciate 0