E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > For 6fl - Save your $$$$ - don't buy Ipod there's a better way!!!

09-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #111
G33
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

concerns over longetivity of hardrives in vehicles:-

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/334/C3401/

seems good to me...250Gs of shock whilst in operation
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #112
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwtsn32 View Post
Iomega.. here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-33222-P...9022534&sr=8-1

I should get this tomorrow and will report if it works for me.

Let us know how it works vs. the Y-cable. I'm on the fence between the two myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 11:14 AM   #113
Pyranha
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Barbera/Creme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkoh View Post
Let us know how it works vs. the Y-cable. I'm on the fence between the two myself.
Works just fine for me, although my drive isn't an IOMEGA. I was unable to get a WD Passport to connect, but an I/O Magic 4200 rpm drive works with no problems at all.

-C
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #114
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

kinda new but what is the 6fl?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #115
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Tons of info it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #116
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

i did a search but nothing really explains it. I just need to know so i can tell my sales guy to put it into my order before its too late.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 05:06 PM   #117
G33
Colonel
Rep

6FL is the BMW order code for the USB option so u can hook up ipods and that shizzle. instead we are trying to hook up portable drives instead so effectively have more space for music than ipods and much cheaper...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #118
gloster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i MT, sport

the non BMW fanboy speak for 6FL is "ipod integration". But it is true that it also functions to integrate other things such as thumbdrives, (unofficially) portable hard drives, and some other Digital Audio Players.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 06:36 PM   #119
AndreTheGeek
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i E90 Alpine White

I've had my ULF module (and many other bits) replaced to solve some issues. I was hoping the new one would have enough power for the WD Passport drive, but I just tried it and no luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #120
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreTheGeek View Post
I've had my ULF module (and many other bits) replaced to solve some issues. I was hoping the new one would have enough power for the WD Passport drive, but I just tried it and no luck.
Thanks for the info, I was wondering abou that as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #121
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

The Iomega drive WORKS!!!

Not only that, but just in case the single USB cable was not enough to spin it up, it comes WITH one of those Y-cables. On top of that, you can plug one of those round 5V DC power plugs right into it instead of using USB power.

This drive also fits (albeit snugly) into the iPod case included on the underside of my armrest. The WD Passport was a bit odd shaped and didn't quite fit in there.

Yeah it's only 80GB, but that's almost twice what my current MP3 collection is, so I'm happy for now.

Anyone want to buy a WD Passport Y-USB cable from me for cheap? I won't even bother trying to use it.

I also might be interested in selling my 16GB Corsair Flash USB drive -- it works perfectly with the 6FL. And maybe even the 250GB WD Passport drive (which didn't work for me, but should with additional power).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2007, 11:29 PM   #122
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This drive also fits (albeit snugly) into the iPod case included on the underside of my armrest.
I'm going to have to reverse this comment. While it fits in the case, you can't close the armrest! The USB cable sticks out the bottom and gets in the way when you try to close it. Bummer. I wonder if I can find a really low profile USB cable...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #123
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Not only that, but just in case the single USB cable was not enough to spin it up, it comes WITH one of those Y-cables. On top of that, you can plug one of those round 5V DC power plugs right into it instead of using USB power.

This drive also fits (albeit snugly) into the iPod case included on the underside of my armrest. The WD Passport was a bit odd shaped and didn't quite fit in there.

Yeah it's only 80GB, but that's almost twice what my current MP3 collection is, so I'm happy for now.

Anyone want to buy a WD Passport Y-USB cable from me for cheap? I won't even bother trying to use it.

I also might be interested in selling my 16GB Corsair Flash USB drive -- it works perfectly with the 6FL. And maybe even the 250GB WD Passport drive (which didn't work for me, but should with additional power).

good thing i got the order off in time...thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 02:09 AM   #124
G33
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

can you try powering up your 250gb one with both USBs plugged in as this is the one im hoping to get, dont want to buy it after ordering the cable, cigarette usb adapter an finiding out it doesnt want to spin up!!! thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 08:34 AM   #125
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33 View Post
can you try powering up your 250gb one with both USBs plugged in as this is the one im hoping to get, dont want to buy it after ordering the cable, cigarette usb adapter an finiding out it doesnt want to spin up!!! thanks
No problem, but I'm still waiting to receive the cigarette lighter adapter. I will try the 250GB drive once I get that.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #126
100mph
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe

Quote:

Hey drwtsn32, glad to hear you got something working, those WD Passports must just need a slight bit more juice that some cars have and some don't.

I'm sure you'll figure out how to get it to fit, there's lots of USB adapters, right angles etc out there that might help but the important thing is you can now have your entire music collection at your fingertips - since doing mine I just marvel at how technology has come along in the last few years that I can have 7000 songs in my car w/easy, fast access, particularly with iDrive
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #127
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mph View Post
Hey drwtsn32, glad to hear you got something working, those WD Passports must just need a slight bit more juice that some cars have and some don't.
I have absolutely no doubt that's the issue.

Quote:
I'm sure you'll figure out how to get it to fit, there's lots of USB adapters, right angles etc out there that might help ...
Yeah, I saw some right angle cables that should work but I'm still searching. For now I will just lay it in the center console... not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #128
bluemax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 320i Coupe

Not so lucky here.

I got my new cigar lighter adaptor and got enough juice to have a permenant green light, but the HDD would only play about 50 secs of music then freeze up.

The light stays green, & I cansearch all the directories. some directories had files showing, others didn't - even though the files are in there.

so any new suggestions would be great.

I'm currently just using an 80gb seagate drive in a metal case that has been formatted with fat32format.

thanks
B
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #129
100mph
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
Not so lucky here.

I got my new cigar lighter adaptor and got enough juice to have a permenant green light, but the HDD would only play about 50 secs of music then freeze up.

The light stays green, & I cansearch all the directories. some directories had files showing, others didn't - even though the files are in there.

so any new suggestions would be great.

I'm currently just using an 80gb seagate drive in a metal case that has been formatted with fat32format.

thanks
B
How much music do you have on there, how many directories etc.

The first time I set mine up it took a while (1 hour) to 'index' all the files (30Gb, 7000 songs, 27 folders) - this might explain why some directories are empty for you.

During this indexing process I believe mine would play songs without stopping but was a little weird if you tried to manually go to the next song.

But all has been great since it was indexed, perhaps you just need to wait it out for the indexing?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #130
bluemax
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Graphite 320i Coupe

Quote:
How much music do you have on there, how many directories etc.

The first time I set mine up it took a while (1 hour) to 'index' all the files (30Gb, 7000 songs, 27 folders) - this might explain why some directories are empty for you.

During this indexing process I believe mine would play songs without stopping but was a little weird if you tried to manually go to the next song.

But all has been great since it was indexed, perhaps you just need to wait it out for the indexing?
I'll give it another try. I only had about 10gig on it, but i don't think I waited for more than 15 mins or so. I did like you though, tried to change track at the beginning and then it seized up.

Also, the drive did have a folder with data in it - do you think this would have mattered?

thanks
B
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #131
100mph
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
I'll give it another try. I only had about 10gig on it, but i don't think I waited for more than 15 mins or so. I did like you though, tried to change track at the beginning and then it seized up.

Also, the drive did have a folder with data in it - do you think this would have mattered?

thanks
B
I have no basis other than experience but believe until its indexed it might act up.

And a data folder might very well confuse it, i would assume it would ignore it but to be sure I'd just remove it.

And you might want to change the drive name with a computer. If you don't the indexing seems to remember what 'was' there and changing the name of the drive (under my computer/drive properties on XP) was the only way I found to get it to be re-indexed and start from a clean slate.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #132
G33
Colonel
Rep

would an 80gb or 160gb ipod still take hours to index?!?

so what happens if i add an album after its fully indexed? would it not pick it up, or would i need to hook it up to the pc and rename it and start indexing all again in the car?! im rarely driving about in the car for more than 1 hour!
Appreciate 0