Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ vs. BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
wmuncaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335i PPK

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ vs. BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S

Anyone have experience with both the AS3+ and G-Force Comp-2 A/S?

Obviously, I'd like the tires to perform well and deliver good driver feedback. However, I also LOATHE tire noise. In a perfect world, I'd like to find a happy compromise between performance and noise. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of feel and performance to have a nice quiet ride. I'm not terribly concerned about harshness or ride quality, as both choices will be better than RFT's...

Recommendations for either the Michelin or BFG?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

There was a thread like a week back:
http://bfy.tw/9AZ8

As in most instances, you'll prob be way better off with the Michelin.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #3
joeinsd
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stock 2010 e92 335i M Sport

I'm in a similar boat.. I've been debating between the AS3+'s and MPSS. I'm leaning toward the AS3+ instead because of tread life and also road noise. Most will probably say to go with the MPSS since I'm in San Diego, but I just know I'll tear through them quick.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinsd View Post
Most will probably say to go with the MPSS since I'm in San Diego, but I just know I'll tear through them quick.
Yeah exactly...not sure why peeps go with the summer tires when they drive on the highway/in a straight line 99% of the time anyway.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2016, 07:22 AM   #5
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmuncaster View Post
Anyone have experience with both the AS3+ and G-Force Comp-2 A/S?

Obviously, I'd like the tires to perform well and deliver good driver feedback. However, I also LOATHE tire noise. In a perfect world, I'd like to find a happy compromise between performance and noise. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of feel and performance to have a nice quiet ride. I'm not terribly concerned about harshness or ride quality, as both choices will be better than RFT's...

Recommendations for either the Michelin or BFG?
I think you'll find the Comp-2 A/S will be much louder once they wear in some compared to the PSAS3+. The BFG tire will also be more likely to have balance/uniformity issues. The PSAS3+ won't be the quietest tire you can buy however, but it's a great all-around tire -- probably the best all around tire ever made so far. I just put the PSAS3+ on my E91 (18") and am very happy with them for a street tire and the use of that car.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8

Last edited by CSBM5; 01-02-2017 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: model number correction
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2017, 03:06 AM   #6
Boosted2000Si
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

I ran the AS3 on my CTS-V and it was hands down the best tire I have really used. They are extremely quiet and work very well. Hell the CTS-V was 460hp/460tq and the AS3 handled it like it was nothing. Extremely good performance in wet weather and hooked very well in dry. I had ZERO complaints with that tire. Just a bit pricey.

I live in FL and due to the rain we get here I am a fan of the all season type tires. I ran the DWS on my TL-S and that was a good tire fore the car however the AS3 holds every bit of a performance tire with the ability to work in the weather.
      01-04-2017, 12:54 AM   #7
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Yeah exactly...not sure why peeps go with the summer tires when they drive on the highway/in a straight line 99% of the time anyway.
Summer tires do lend better response to the vehicle. Not only when performance driving, either. MPSS vs DWS, the PSS had better steering response/feel all of the time ( even in a straight line). PSS required less turning of the steering wheel for a given turn of the vehicle/road. PSS reduced brake dive/body roll (really sidewall deformation, made the DWS feel as if the suspension dived and rolled more). PSS seemed to improve shock control (again the stiffer sidewall allowed the shocks to locate the wheel more accurately = less vertical bounce).

Summer tires tend to handle better in emergencies too.
I hate my summer tires because they are a compromise when temps are 45 degrees and below. But they are truly phenomenal the rest of the time.

That being said treadwear can be abysmal. Poorly designed summer tires can also have a tendency to induce noise/vibration too, though this isn't an issue with PSS.

Don't think of summer tires as just for sporty driving. They are a safety feature. They also add more control and response to the car.

I wish I could run them year round.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:59 AM   #8
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
There was a thread like a week back:
http://bfy.tw/9AZ8

As in most instances, you'll prob be way better off with the Michelin.
Lol! FCobra94... You've made my day with that link!!
I clicked and watched the whole animation. I luv it! 💯 😎😈
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Note that "summer tires" vary widely among manufacturers such that the Michelin PSAS3+ "all-season" tire outperforms some other brands' summer tires in dry testing (i.e. the PSAS3+ was better in dry summer conditions), and completely wins the dry contests against any other all-season tire.

The PSAS3+ is so far superior to the DWS it's not even in the same ballpark (on dry, warm roads); I believe it was the summer DW tire that the Michelin PSAS3+ outperformed in the dry also. Perhaps that's one reason the DW has been discontinued and a new design is on the way...getting beat by your competitor's all-season tire and all.

If you haven't driven on the PSAS3+, you should reserve comments until you can thoroughly romp on the tires.

That said, the PS4S is due for release this month, so it will be interesting to see the tests of the successor to the PSS.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 2
Thorin117.50
      01-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I liked my A/S3's a lot, although towards the end they got a bit stiff on bumps. Not many all-seasons will manage a 1.8s in the 60ft with a 550+ wtq car at the strip, and only being 225mm wide.
      01-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

I have no experience with the BFGs, but I really like my AS3's. Great tire for the daily driver/commuter that can absolutely handle 99% of what is thrown at it on the street. These tires not only grip well in the dry, but in the wet and in cooler weather too. They have great turn in, good wear, aren't loud, and aesthetically look great. For the money, it's hard to beat these tires IMO.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50
      01-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
Blue Flame
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i X-Drive | 1997 M3

I just picked up a set of 19x8.5" ET35 square ARC-8's from Apex. I was recommended 235/35/19 tires for my E90 LCI X-Drive with this setup. Can anyone tell me from experience how a 245/35/19 would do instead? Doesn't appear the A/S3+ comes in a 235/35/19...

Edit: I'm mostly concerned with rubbing, but I don't suspect that small difference will matter. Secondarily, the size change will amount to a 3% change in speedo reading, but since speedos are generally off by 3-5% in the slow direction, it should actually make my speedo more accurate if I'm doing my calculations correctly...

Last edited by Blue Flame; 01-15-2017 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 02:03 PM   #13
Frost17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M340i xDrive

Just ordered the A/S3+. Will update when I have them for a little while.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2017, 08:33 AM   #14
steel609
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive Coupe

I just put on a set of A/S 3+ on my 2010 328xi. I previously had a set of Goodyear Eagle AS which I loved, but wanted to try the MPS because of the high reviews.

The GY had almost 45,000 miles on them and still have 6/32 tread so I kept them and bought a new set of wheels for the MPS. My plan is to put the GY back on during the summer to get a few more miles out of them. I was still very happy with the GY, but didn't want to chance another winter, plus it was a good excuse to get a new set of wheels.

I have about 300 miles on them and am happy so far. Wet weather traction is outstanding, and I have tried to really push it with all the rain we have had lately.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

I don't drive a bmw yet, I'm picking up an 390 335i sedan on Wednesday hopefully. I will say that on my 6mt 05 TL, I ran through a set of DWS's, then a set of PSa/s3's. Pilot sport all seasons were better tires in every single aspect of driving. road noise, Wet/ dry handling, steering feel. My E90's coming with new tires on it, but as soon as they're run though you can bet that I'll have pilot sport a/s's on there. I ran through my first set in 33k miles, but my current set barely shows any wear at 10k. I've calmed down as a driver, to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 11:37 AM   #16
theserbatron
Private
Rep
Drives: S3 8V --> M240i F22

I have had the A/S 3+ on my E92 LCI 328i sport package coupe . Disclaimer: I run the BMW Performance suspension with Dinan camber plates and fairly aggressive camber, along with running 1 autocross event per month most months of the year. My daily driving is primarily city/stop-and-go about 15 Miles/day.

Over the course of 14 months/10,000 Miles, I wore them down to 5/32" on the inner front and 3/32" on the inner rear. I give the inner measurements because of my camber specs. The outer tread blocks were better.

The Y rated A/S 3+ has a 30,000 mile warranty, but if you run staggered sizes, Michelin drops the warranty down to 15,000 miles.

If you're running a more stock suspension and stock alignment settings, I think you would easily get the warrantied mileage out of the tire.

I have been very satisfied w the tire. Dry grip is good for an all-season, with astonishing wet grip, which is where I believe this tire really shines. It has a firmer side wall than other all seasons I have tried, but is much more compliant and forgiving than the OEM Bridgestone run flats especially upon pot holes and other street impacts. I find turn in direct and good, though not as sharp as the run flats were.

If you want a tire with good dry grip that is close to the Michelin PSS, but need all weather or rain capabilities, I think the A/S 3+ is an excellent choice.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:41 PM   #17
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theserbatron View Post
I give the inner measurements because of my camber specs.
Specs? I doubt your camber is high enough to cause any significant difference in wear from inside to outside edge...get your toe settings correct to keep from killing any future sets of tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #18
E9twoblu
Rep
Drives: 09 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by theserbatron View Post
I have had the A/S 3+ on my E92 LCI 328i sport package coupe . Disclaimer: I run the BMW Performance suspension with Dinan camber plates and fairly aggressive camber, along with running 1 autocross event per month most months of the year. My daily driving is primarily city/stop-and-go about 15 Miles/day.

Over the course of 14 months/10,000 Miles, I wore them down to 5/32" on the inner front and 3/32" on the inner rear. I give the inner measurements because of my camber specs. The outer tread blocks were better.

The Y rated A/S 3+ has a 30,000 mile warranty, but if you run staggered sizes, Michelin drops the warranty down to 15,000 miles.

If you're running a more stock suspension and stock alignment settings, I think you would easily get the warrantied mileage out of the tire.

I have been very satisfied w the tire. Dry grip is good for an all-season, with astonishing wet grip, which is where I believe this tire really shines. It has a firmer side wall than other all seasons I have tried, but is much more compliant and forgiving than the OEM Bridgestone run flats especially upon pot holes and other street impacts. I find turn in direct and good, though not as sharp as the run flats were.

If you want a tire with good dry grip that is close to the Michelin PSS, but need all weather or rain capabilities, I think the A/S 3+ is an excellent choice.
+1 on the A/S3’s. My setup is fully stock otherwise and the A/S3’s compliment the sport suspension incredibly well in all 3 seasons. I have a separate set of wheels for my Blizzaks to get me through the winter.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #19
buckhorn7
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I have put 20k on my 235/45/17 square A/S3+s and they have minimal wear. I rotate them every 5k. Driving is mountain roads, freeway and city. Easily get 50k out these tires.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50