Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > (TPMS) Importing a 2007 Canadian E92 335i

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-31-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
machiavelliiiii
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe (E92)

(TPMS) Importing a 2007 Canadian E92 335i

Alright guys, first post go easy on me.

Recently purchased a Canadian 2007 E92 335i with 42500 KM (I'm from Vancouver), and needless to say I'm in love. First BMW and honestly, already have a heavy emotional attachment to the car, which many members here can relate to. Honestly, I dont wanna sell the car and if there's even a slight chance of me importing it, I'm gonna take a shot. Now, ever since I've been doing research to import the car into the US (Florida specifically). I've spent hours doing research on this site as well as on google and have had large amounts of varying information being given so I thought i'd give it a shot here.

NHTSA requires all imported cars to have TPMS sensors installed in to the car, with CBP having varying levels of enforcement on the matter. The original NHTSA document states that you need an 'authorized dealer' and 'same part numbers' in order for the car to be imported if it doesnt have TPMS sensors. However, mine was built on 02/2007, has no TPMS system installed since we use the FTM system up here. I understand that FTM is a hardware system and TPMS is a software system, and that installing TPMS sensors in the tires will do nothing to monitor tire pressure. The only reason I'm doing this is purely for importation purposes.

Some people have put 'aftermarket' TPMS sensors on their cars, and the CBP just gave em a pass. Is there even an official way to install an official TPMS on a Canadian 2007 335i? Am I SOL ?

TL;DR: Canadian 2007 E92 335i, no TPMS sensors. I want to import into the US. What do I do ?

Last edited by machiavelliiiii; 10-31-2019 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
trailblazer
Registered
Rep
Drives: Chevy Tahoe

Did you ever actually follow-thru with this? How did you overcome the notion to US CBP that you were not establishing residency in the USA? (are you also a US Citizen?)?
Appreciate 0