E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Should I change my AT fluid?

11-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #45
Arby1028
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Sedan (e90)

I read somewhere that Pentosin makes the BMW Automatic Transmission Fluid. Does anyone know what Pentosin ATF I should use for my 2011 335i?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #46
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby1028 View Post
I read somewhere that Pentosin makes the BMW Automatic Transmission Fluid. Does anyone know what Pentosin ATF I should use for my 2011 335i?
ATF-1. I have a bunch if you want some. I think I have an unopened 5L jug which should be enough for our transmissions even if you are dropping the pan to get the most fluid out. Shoot me a PM!

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #47
Nguyenhu0106
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

hello,
I wanted to put in my two cents. at the end of the day, you would be footing the bill but it best to be well informed before making the decisions.

in ideal conditions, it is good and recommended to change your fluids in a timely matter. but the times your hear people complaining about their trans slipping after the change it comes down to the condition of the trans before the the change. over time if the fluid is not changed the automatic clutches will begin to wear down and float in the fluid. in extreme cases if the clutch is worn down, the only thing creating friction for the trans clutch is the dirty fluid. so when you change out the fluid, the friction of the plates are no longer there and thats when your trans starts to slip.

here is an informative video about this. they talk about this at 4:50
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #48
boro92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: audi s4 lol!

+1 change the fluid.
You change it in the motor and diff - same logic applies to the tranny.
If the tranny operates funny after the fluid change - your tranny had some issues to begin with. Always change according to an appropriate schedule (and this used to be 60 to 80k miles back in the day). Change the filter as well. Do it properly.

The tranny will die if you do not. It is not "if". It is "when". It absolutely will die.
There's some stange forum stories regarding changing AT fluid on BMW boards that are being perpetuated. There is no good reason for it. And yes, BMW dealers generally do not want to touch a tranny change - they have been trained to do this. This is because they know that a tranny will exhibit issues if fluid hasn't been touched after an X duration. They do not want to be liable for problems that crop up after the change.

Many owners have independently changed trans fluid as preventative maintenance and experienced no issues - and I know a number of people who do this who both tow with their BMW's and track with their BMW's. No issues. Just needs to be done at an appropriate schedule - just like oil changes.

Track day & Car setup blog
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #49
robygomez
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 325i, 2010, E90

Better to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierop View Post
I'm getting yes and nos...
There is nothing that would last forever, I would say it's better to prevent than to be sorry. Just do it at a good shop that would specialize in such things. I agree that you have to replace the fluid an the filter.

GREETINGS.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #50
Arby1028
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Sedan (e90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
ATF-1. I have a bunch if you want some. I think I have an unopened 5L jug which should be enough for our transmissions even if you are dropping the pan to get the most fluid out. Shoot me a PM!
PM sent...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #51
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I wish there was an AT dipstick
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #52
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

This is an age old question...I bought a used car with 80k, and it's got one of those sealed trannies, i.e. no dipstick. On my other forum some say do a drain and fill which would replace a % of the capacity, others say if it ain't broke don't fix it. There are also peeps who have done each, with various results.

There are clearly folks who said they had issues right off the bat after a change--but one never knows what was actually done. Could it have been a flush, and then the tranny acts weird. Common sense says draining and introducing new fluid should not hurt.....p.s. I have a stick on my BMW and the used car I just got is the first with an auto since I was 22 (I'm now 94 )
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 07:21 AM   #53
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyenhu0106 View Post
hello,
I wanted to put in my two cents. at the end of the day, you would be footing the bill but it best to be well informed before making the decisions.

in ideal conditions, it is good and recommended to change your fluids in a timely matter. but the times your hear people complaining about their trans slipping after the change it comes down to the condition of the trans before the the change. over time if the fluid is not changed the automatic clutches will begin to wear down and float in the fluid. in extreme cases if the clutch is worn down, the only thing creating friction for the trans clutch is the dirty fluid. so when you change out the fluid, the friction of the plates are no longer there and thats when your trans starts to slip.

here is an informative video about this. they talk about this at 4:50
TJ Hooker would taste each fluid to verify
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #54
Cory S
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i-X

We just changed the fluid on a friends 07 530xi. 258,000 miles on the original fluid. Fluid wasn't perfect, but it wasn't that bad. No leaks anywhere either. Shifted smooth.

After the change, no noticeable differences.
      01-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #55
robygomez
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 325i, 2010, E90

Does anyone knows what kind of fluid should I use for a 325i, 2010, E90 automatic trany.
THANKS
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #56
sluggo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, E36 x2

Check out the comments section on the ZFservicesNA posting of diy service for the ZF6HP. Someone posts a similar question about high mileage fluid change. ZF says change it.

The comments section of that video has many good nuggets of info straight from ZF NA, btw. Definitely worth reading through.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #57
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:10 PM   #58
Captain comic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

So what to do if you have a old car 9+ years but low mileage 45K miles, should I change or not? I'm reluctant to open a sealed tranny because it's a relatively issue free GM tranny and imho I'm afraid to get issues after the change. However I sometimes get a jerky shifts and not sure if that will become worse after change or may become fixed miraculously after fluid change?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #59
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

you are very long overdue on your fluid change. my transmission was acting up and suffering from poor shift quality with only 67k miles before i did a fluid change

make sure you change fluid and pan (filter) ASAP, you've been slowly destroying your transmission for a long time

the difference in shift quality will be major
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #60
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
you are very long overdue on your fluid change. my transmission was acting up and suffering from poor shift quality with only 67k miles before i did a fluid change

make sure you change fluid and pan (filter) ASAP, you've been slowly destroying your transmission for a long time

the difference in shift quality will be major
First, you don't have the same transmission as the OP.

Secondly, most GM trans vehicles have been a bit more reliable than the ZF counterpart.

Thirdly, we have no idea how the OP has driven or treated the car, which is a huge variable in the equation.

Quit trying to make him feel bad!

To the guy/gal with 49k I'd say you're pretty safe at this point. I changed my GM fluid/pan at 62k and could barely tell the difference. Mostly placebo effect lightly. It made me feel better and haven't had an issue for 15k since.

Up to you.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #61
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
First, you don't have the same transmission as the OP.

Secondly, most GM trans vehicles have been a bit more reliable than the ZF counterpart.

Thirdly, we have no idea how the OP has driven or treated the car, which is a huge variable in the equation.

Quit trying to make him feel bad!

To the guy/gal with 49k I'd say you're pretty safe at this point. I changed my GM fluid/pan at 62k and could barely tell the difference. Mostly placebo effect lightly. It made me feel better and haven't had an issue for 15k since.

Up to you.
only the US spec 328i has a GM transmission. his 325i has a ZF.

no matter how soft you drive the car, even 100k, let alone 137k is overdue for both the ZF or GM unit.

the ZF is sensitive to dirty fluid and requires 60k intervals to keep it operating well. your GM unit doesnt need a fluid change until 100k so the difference is not as major

shift quality was dramatically improved after changing fluid, its not a placebo effect if you have the ZF trans.

do you seriously think im trying to make someone feel bad by telling them to change their transmission fluid because it is long overdue? I am getting really tired of seeing your name pop up everywhere. comment whatever you want on these threads, but dont get your opinion involved with mine. do ur thing bro
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:56 PM   #62
Footdeep_milelong
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 528i

I am in a bit of a dilemma with my fluid change. I ordered all the parts needed to DIY (ZF Pan/Filter, ZF Lifeguard 6, Mechatronics sleeve, seals, and new transmission pan bolts)

I am at 73k and I have an extended Gold warranty with BMW for another 1.5 years or until 100k. I just called both ZF and BMW NA and I confirmed that ZF recommends changing every 60k or 8 years.

If I were to DIY, I run the risk of BMW denying any potential warranty problems with the transmission. BMW NA said if I did it through a dealer, there would be no risk at all for my warranty. I was also quoted $1200 for this job at a local BMW dealer.

I am already out $350 in parts, but I am unsure how to proceed. I am also running an Alpina B3 flash which probably puts more stress on the tranny.

Any input is welcome..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #63
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6IX-F10-N52 View Post
only the US spec 328i has a GM transmission. his 325i has a ZF.

no matter how soft you drive the car, even 100k, let alone 137k is overdue for both the ZF or GM unit.

the ZF is sensitive to dirty fluid and requires 60k intervals to keep it operating well. your GM unit doesnt need a fluid change until 100k so the difference is not as major

shift quality was dramatically improved after changing fluid, its not a placebo effect if you have the ZF trans.

do you seriously think im trying to make someone feel bad by telling them to change their transmission fluid because it is long overdue? I am getting really tired of seeing your name pop up everywhere. comment whatever you want on these threads, but dont get your opinion involved with mine. do ur thing bro
Oh, ZF, good call. Thanks for teaching me something. And I say that zero sarcasm.

Ps, you're insane though.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #64
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

GM vs ZF

tlow98
Where are you getting that crap about GM more reliable than ZF. Nothing repeat nothing is farther from the truth. ZF makes excellent transmissions that last a long time as long as fluid is changed as spec'ed by ZF. GM transmissions are notable for not having very long life.
I get my data from the E30/36/46/90 models which covers a lot of years of transmissions.

Also for those interested the only way to know what fluid your transmission takes is to look at the pan and see what the data label says. ZF will always take some form of Life Guard which could be Pentosin variations as well like LT-711. By the way the LT stands for extended life. For the 6 spd ZF the only other fluid I am aware of that is allowed is the Mercon SP because that transmission is used in OZ and Ford spec'ed that to ZF. I did oil analysis on both and they are except for color and smell identical. Used LG6 at 38K miles was showing very little wear.

GM fluids are much different from ZF fluids as ZF is very slippery and stinky new or used.

You will ruin your transmission putting the wrong viscosity in. Those ATFs that state they are compatible with ZF transmissions show no evidence that they are by any data so use at your own risk. When Mercon SP is 6 bucks a L why not use that than something that ZF will not stand behind...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #65
tlow98
Major General
Rep

Good luck with everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #66
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
tlow98
Where are you getting that crap about GM more reliable than ZF. Nothing repeat nothing is farther from the truth. ZF makes excellent transmissions that last a long time as long as fluid is changed as spec'ed by ZF. GM transmissions are notable for not having very long life.
I get my data from the E30/36/46/90 models which covers a lot of years of transmissions.

Also for those interested the only way to know what fluid your transmission takes is to look at the pan and see what the data label says. ZF will always take some form of Life Guard which could be Pentosin variations as well like LT-711. By the way the LT stands for extended life. For the 6 spd ZF the only other fluid I am aware of that is allowed is the Mercon SP because that transmission is used in OZ and Ford spec'ed that to ZF. I did oil analysis on both and they are except for color and smell identical. Used LG6 at 38K miles was showing very little wear.

GM fluids are much different from ZF fluids as ZF is very slippery and stinky new or used.

You will ruin your transmission putting the wrong viscosity in. Those ATFs that state they are compatible with ZF transmissions show no evidence that they are by any data so use at your own risk. When Mercon SP is 6 bucks a L why not use that than something that ZF will not stand behind...
my transmission shop used mannheim dextron 6 fluid. i know this isnt for the ZF, and I would've refused to let them use it but the back of the bottle said zf5hp (not my transmission, i know) the transmission operates perfectly - much better than before. is it possible that i will run into problems using this fluid down the road?
Appreciate 0