Bimmerpost for Android has just been updated to version 4.3.55 with a host of bug fixes. Try it out!

  E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > 328i brake upgrades?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Biginboca
Captain
471
Rep
606
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

328i brake upgrades?

What are the brake upgrade options for a 328? (Specifically a e92 if it matters.)

I see a BMW performance brake kit that is front calipers and rotors only. Seems like the rear parking brake set up presents issues to rear brake upgrades.

Are there any 4 corner solutions? Looks like 335 can upgrade to f30 brakes... but what about the 328’s?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 01:46 AM   #2
FlaPatsFan
Captain
331
Rep
627
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i wagon
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2011 E91 328, I upgraded to the 335 brakes front/rear. Carbon pads, slotted rotors and stainless brake lines. Great upgrade, and straightforward swap out. Braking system has much more bite and stopping power now!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 04:24 AM   #3
Biginboca
Captain
471
Rep
606
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
I have a 2011 E91 328, I upgraded to the 335 brakes front/rear. Carbon pads, slotted rotors and stainless brake lines. Great upgrade, and straightforward swap out. Braking system has much more bite and stopping power now!
Did you lose ebrake functionality?

If the 335 brakes are an easy plug and play the wouldn’t any performance brakes for the 335 also be a plug and play?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
Aus335iguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Aus335iguy's Avatar
407
Rep
1,620
Posts

Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Sydney Aus

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
I have a 2011 E91 328, I upgraded to the 335 brakes front/rear. Carbon pads, slotted rotors and stainless brake lines. Great upgrade, and straightforward swap out. Braking system has much more bite and stopping power now!
Did you lose ebrake functionality?

If the 335 brakes are an easy plug and play the wouldn’t any performance brakes for the 335 also be a plug and play?
Yep. Anything for the 335i should fit 328...
__________________
There's no problem that 2 German turbos can't fix
Yes i know they're made by Mitsubishi and its always irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2367
Rep
6,029
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Did you lose ebrake functionality?

If the 335 brakes are an easy plug and play the wouldn’t any performance brakes for the 335 also be a plug and play?
I have two sets front and one set rear brakes from 335i. If you do the rear the parking brake won't work. I can sell the front to you for cheap. Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Biginboca
Captain
471
Rep
606
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
I have two sets front and one set rear brakes from 335i. If you do the rear the parking brake won't work. I can sell the front to you for cheap. Let me know.
I’m definitely interested please pm me what you are asking thanks!

How do stock 335 calipers compared with the BMW performance calipers for the 328?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2367
Rep
6,029
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
I’m definitely interested please pm me what you are asking thanks!

How do stock 335 calipers compared with the BMW performance calipers for the 328?
335i front brakes are bigger than BMW performance calipers, they share the front pads with M3, self explanatory there. Also BMW performance calipers are known to melt the pistons. Unless you upgrade the pistons too BMW performance calipers are absolute garbage. They look nice though...
Appreciate 1
Biginboca471.00

      06-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
david in germany
Major
389
Rep
1,256
Posts

Drives: 118i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mannheim Germany

iTrader: (1)

I started a thread on this a while back. I was one of the unlucky ones that needed coding because the 335i front brakes threw off the bias and caused the car to loose stability when braking after the upgrade. After coding the car for the performance brake retrofit ,(using 335i front brakes) my wife's 328i will out brake my 335i.
You may be a lucky one but I would reccomended the performance brakes coding if you do the upgrade.
__________________
2009 118i Monaco Blue "Maximillion"
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
Biginboca471.00

      06-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #9
FlaPatsFan
Captain
331
Rep
627
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i wagon
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Did you lose ebrake functionality?

If the 335 brakes are an easy plug and play the wouldn’t any performance brakes for the 335 also be a plug and play?
I didn’t lose ebrake....set up is a bit different on the E91 so that wasn’t an issue. It’s possible on the other model 328s just a few modifications need to be done.

As for that coding mentioned I had no issues. All parts swapped out easily and functioned perfectly after install. I also replaced all the sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 03:00 AM   #10
avocet
Major
55
Rep
1,004
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver bc

iTrader: (0)

I did the 335i brake swap... rear parking brake shoes needed a small mod to work. Have around 40000 km's on my mod'ed rear parking brake shoes with no issues... few track days and a few auto x days and they are still performing as good as ever! But seriously, has anyone ever worn out a set of parking brake shoes?

As for the 335i brakes... They are as much brake as I need...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 03:10 AM   #11
david in germany
Major
389
Rep
1,256
Posts

Drives: 118i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mannheim Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
I did the 335i brake swap... rear parking brake shoes needed a small mod to work. Have around 40000 km's on my mod'ed rear parking brake shoes with no issues... few track days and a few auto x days and they are still performing as good as ever! But seriously, has anyone ever worn out a set of parking brake shoes?

As for the 335i brakes... They are as much brake as I need...
I don't think anyone that knows how to put the handle down before starting out has ever killed a set of parking brake shoes.
__________________
2009 118i Monaco Blue "Maximillion"
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 05:35 AM   #12
zstreet86
Enlisted Member
United_States
19
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: 2011 E91 328i, 2008 e90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: 35824

iTrader: (0)

I have seen in person an f80 msport brake swap, full calipers and rotors. I can't remember which one, but either the front or the rear is a direct bolt on swap (I think the front) and the other required light modifiction to the f80 caliper to get it to sit center on the rotor.

There are a couple of good threads about it if you search. At first I was going to do the 335i swap, then I saw this guy's car and was like nope, this is what Im doing lol. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #13
Biginboca
Captain
471
Rep
606
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Boynton Beach, FL... USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstreet86 View Post
I have seen in person an f80 msport brake swap, full calipers and rotors. I can't remember which one, but either the front or the rear is a direct bolt on swap (I think the front) and the other required light modifiction to the f80 caliper to get it to sit center on the rotor.

There are a couple of good threads about it if you search. At first I was going to do the 335i swap, then I saw this guy's car and was like nope, this is what Im doing lol. Good luck.
That is exactly what I want to do but the thread is like 50+ pages and mostly 335i related. I’ve been going through it all week and can’t figure out exactly what needs to be done to get f30 (you said f80 but I believe you meant f30?) brakes onto my 328i. I’ve taken a lot of notes and messages with feuer who seems to be the resident guru for the brake swaps.

So what I’ve come up with is it seems like for the 328i the best set up would be:

-F30 4 Pot Brembo Front calipers direct bolt onto e92 328i
-F30 front rotors direct swap (either 340mm or 370mm available) onto e92 328i
-F30 328i rear rotors are direct swap onto e92 328i and work with parking brake
-F30 2 pot rear calipers (Brembo?) fit onto e92 328i with 1-2mm of washers stacked onto mounting area
-Need to run e9x M3 master cylinder with these brakes

Does anyone know if this is all correct and will swap as I have outlined? I wish there was a brake swap sticky with all the options and needed parts.

Last edited by Biginboca; 06-22-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #14
feuer
Major General
feuer's Avatar
United_States
2367
Rep
6,029
Posts

Drives: wife crazy!
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
-F30 4 Pot Brembo Front calipers direct bolt onto e92 328i
Correct, all F-series calipers do, even F80/82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
-F30 front rotors direct swap (either 340mm or 370mm available) onto e92 328i
Correct, just need to match 340mm caliper with 340mm rotors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
-F30 328i rear rotors are direct swap onto e92 328i and work with parking brake
Correct, but need to be the 345mm rotors from the Performance kit and you still need to do some grinding around the paring shoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
-F30 2 pot rear calipers (Brembo?) fit onto e92 328i with 1-2mm of washers stacked onto mounting area
Incorrect. That would make things worse, Is opposite from what you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
-Need to run e9x M3 master cylinder with these brakes
Not that is needed, is strongly recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Does anyone know if this is all correct and will swap as I have outlined? I wish there was a brake swap sticky with all the options and needed parts.
Can't be a brake swap sticky for this particular set up bacause requires more than just swapping parts.
Appreciate 1
Biginboca471.00

      06-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #15
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
53
Rep
264
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Did you lose ebrake functionality?

If the 335 brakes are an easy plug and play the wouldn’t any performance brakes for the 335 also be a plug and play?
I didn’t lose ebrake....set up is a bit different on the E91 so that wasn’t an issue. It’s possible on the other model 328s just a few modifications need to be done.

As for that coding mentioned I had no issues. All parts swapped out easily and functioned perfectly after install. I also replaced all the sensors.
Hey man, in the process of installing the f30 335 brakes. Already have the fronts on, breeze! The rears, is having an issue. If I have the rotor flush, the caliper won't mount in the back.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 09:39 PM   #16
FlaPatsFan
Captain
331
Rep
627
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i wagon
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
Hey man, in the process of installing the f30 335 brakes. Already have the fronts on, breeze! The rears, is having an issue. If I have the rotor flush, the caliper won't mount in the back.
My 335 brakes were from a 2011 335 E90 same year as my 328 E91, and it swapped out easily on the rear. Your problem may be that yours are from the F30. Not 100% sure they are a true plug and play swap. Hopefully someone can chime in and enlighten us.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 12:48 AM   #17
DCook
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 91 Fox
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Central IL

iTrader: (0)

If you were local, i would've just traded you rear brake setup. Just so i could fit 15 wheels for slicks.....it wouldve been great lol. Im sure you can find someone wanting to go small brake kit and do a straight trade, just so they can fit smaller wheels.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST