E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VRSF N54 Aluminum Turbo Outlet Charge Pipe Now Available!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #45
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
1,142
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US, NA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The OEM outlets neck down to less than and inch on each side at the collector. We can't really claim a specific HP because there have been 400whp cars who have only made 20whp whereas 600whp cars are making 65whp. It all depends on how big your bottle neck is.
Thanks Tiago@VRSF
That actually answers my question.
__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ + MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor [SOLD]

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: Stock
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #46
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
8408
Rep
98,953
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
If I were the vendor, I would be dynoing every mod I sold if I actually believed in the claims made on my own website. You would have long-term sales and dominate the market with just two $100 dyno runs.
6500 products on the website with new ones added every day.

Dynoing every product requires us to buy a dyno, buy close to a hundred cars and hire a team of people to dyno cars 8 hours a day.

I like the idea of dominating the market but i dont think the dyno idea is realistic

Thats being said we do our best to post results of parts we sell.

This month we are dynoing the Open flash tune, Active Autowerke flash tune, Active Autowerke midpipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:13 AM   #47
vbp6us
Major Private First Class
vbp6us's Avatar
United_States
224
Rep
1,142
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US, NA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
6500 products on the website with new ones added every day.

Dynoing every product requires us to buy a dyno, buy close to a hundred cars and hire a team of people to dyno cars 8 hours a day.

I like the idea of dominating the market but i dont think the dyno idea is realistic

Thats being said we do our best to post results of parts we sell.

This month we are dynoing the Open flash tune, Active Autowerke flash tune, Active Autowerke midpipe.
Mike, we don't have 6500 power adding mods. You know what I mean, FBO: intake, downpipes, inlets, outlets, fmic, and of course turbos. Let's be logical here, not expecting a Lux halos to be dyno'd lol.
__________________
2008 E92 335i 6MT: FBO + MMP Silicone Inlets | Stage 1 LPFP | 335is clutch + MFactory SMFW | Custom BuraQ + MHD tune | 3.5Bar N20 sensor [SOLD]

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: Stock
Appreciate 1
feuer2672.50

      11-09-2018, 07:37 AM   #48
dublin14
Second Lieutenant
63
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: A4 S-line -330 next
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto-Canada

iTrader: (0)

Any product claiming to increase or help turbos make more power should have a number attached. We see it with intakes, Intercoolers, ect. Most buyers simpy like to see a hp gain next to a product like this. Even if its shown on a 400whp modded setup. Most here are modded anyways in someway. Best way to market a product like this is put numbers beside it.
Appreciate 2
vbp6us224.00
feuer2672.50

      11-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #49
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
8408
Rep
98,953
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
Mike, we don't have 6500 power adding mods. You know what I mean, FBO: intake, downpipes, inlets, outlets, fmic, and of course turbos. Let's be logical here, not expecting a Lux halos to be dyno'd lol.
LOL maybe not 6500 product that needs dyno but its defently in the thousands.
Keep in mind we carry products for other car brands as well not just BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #50
Cabdriver
Private First Class
Cabdriver's Avatar
34
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I have the VRSF silicone outlets on stock snails, would there be an improvement with these?

I imagine the silicone would generate less turbulence but highly doubt there would be a noticeable difference between the two.
__________________
2009 e90 335i
6MT*Sport Package*Factory Location VRSF Inlets/Outlets*VRSF 7"HD IC & DCIs*FTP Low Temp Oil cooler Thermostat*VRSF DP & 335is Mufflers*Turbosmart Diverters*MHD 2+*550 Clutch & Delay Valve Removed*e93 M3 FSB
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #51
Emilime75
Captain
273
Rep
852
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: X

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
LOL maybe not 6500 product that needs dyno but its defently in the thousands.
Keep in mind we carry products for other car brands as well not just BMW
So, how do you know what you're selling? You've just claimed thousands of power adding parts that need dyno...but, can't dyno them to confirm power added?

How did we get to a point where the customer is responsible for this part of R&D, on their own dime?
Appreciate 2
vbp6us224.00
feuer2672.50

      11-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #52
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
8408
Rep
98,953
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
So, how do you know what you're selling? You've just claimed thousands of power adding parts that need dyno...but, can't dyno them to confirm power added?

How did we get to a point where the customer is responsible for this part of R&D, on their own dime?
That's not the argument here though


vbp6us suggested that vendors need to dyno every part they sell which is not doable for obvious reasons i mentioned above.

Had vbp6us suggested manufacturers provide dyno for their power claims, it would have been a different conversation

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 11-09-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #53
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
2756
Rep
59,849
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (37)

The power gains are going to vary depending on modifications and tuning.

The other things is these improve turbo efficiency, which means they work less.

Reducing the restriction means your turbos work more efficiently, create less heat, lower WGDC and by no accident performance is improved.

I have no argument it's great to see data. However, to do it effectively, thoroughly and above all satisfactory to the majority is likely difficult.
__________________
|Like us on Facebook||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |PURE Turbos| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|2019 New Year Sale!| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Fabspeed| |Injen| Up to 10% Off!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 12:38 AM   #54
46m3csl
Captain
57
Rep
751
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Rowland Heights

iTrader: (0)

Someone buy these and dyno them!! Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 01:29 AM   #55
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
34,366
Posts


Drives: 335i, M4, M6 GC, X5M
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (99)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Weíve seen over a 20% drop in WGDC on a FBO stock turbo car but if thereís any interest Iíll be happy to offer up a full refund for the first couple customers that can provide us with a before/after dynos

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 11-11-2018 at 04:03 AM.
Appreciate 2
vbp6us224.00

      11-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #56
Mitchel63
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 09 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: South Park, CO

iTrader: (0)

Any tips from anybody who has actually installed these? I’ve been messing with them for literally days. With the O-ring in the mounting flange, it makes the assembly too tall for the V-bands....they close right up without the O-rings. I’m sure I’m just missing something, but I haven’t been able to find anything online and I’m new to this car.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #57
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
34,366
Posts


Drives: 335i, M4, M6 GC, X5M
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (99)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
The o-ring is a bit thicker in order to promote a better seal. You can warm the o-rings up a bit in warm water to make them a bit more malleable.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #58
blown07
Second Lieutenant
42
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hamilton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchel63 View Post
Any tips from anybody who has actually installed these? Iíve been messing with them for literally days. With the O-ring in the mounting flange, it makes the assembly too tall for the V-bands....they close right up without the O-rings. Iím sure Iím just missing something, but I havenít been able to find anything online and Iím new to this car.

Thanks!
I did this some time ago and went okay. I used a small amount of silicone to hold the o-rings in and let it dry for a day as the o-ring didn't seem to want to stay in the groove. I added a small amount of oil to the top surface of the o-rings to be sure I could rotate them as required. I started with the rear inlet and yes doing the rear clamp is tough. You need to make sure the new pipe is square in order to get the v-bands on. I cut the part off the v-band that hold the ends together. This allowed me to put needle nose pliers on the v-bands to draw them close enough together to start the bolt. I then did the front one with the silicone coupler attached.
__________________
'07 335i LCI trunk,FBO,Meth,MHD, LSD, 12.1@118, Now with GCLites.

'07 335xi LCI trunk,FBO,Meth,MHD, 11.87@118.65, Now with VTT stage 1 Billet.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:31 PM   #59
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
34,366
Posts


Drives: 335i, M4, M6 GC, X5M
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (99)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown07 View Post
I did this some time ago and went okay. I used a small amount of silicone to hold the o-rings in and let it dry for a day as the o-ring didn't seem to want to stay in the groove. I added a small amount of oil to the top surface of the o-rings to be sure I could rotate them as required. I started with the rear inlet and yes doing the rear clamp is tough. You need to make sure the new pipe is square in order to get the v-bands on. I cut the part off the v-band that hold the ends together. This allowed me to put needle nose pliers on the v-bands to draw them close enough together to start the bolt. I then did the front one with the silicone coupler attached.
Thanks for the tips, we appreciate your contribution!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #60
jacobniell
Second Lieutenant
jacobniell's Avatar
Denmark
11
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
The outlet pipe fit the original turbo with the original size clamps but what about the original clamp on the IC?
I am running HPF upgraded IC made with the original clamping, will it fit?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:23 AM   #61
jacobniell
Second Lieutenant
jacobniell's Avatar
Denmark
11
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobniell View Post
The outlet pipe fit the original turbo with the original size clamps but what about the original clamp on the IC?
I am running HPF upgraded IC made with the original clamping, will it fit?
Any comments to the connection to the Intercooler?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #62
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
34,366
Posts


Drives: 335i, M4, M6 GC, X5M
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (99)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobniell View Post
The outlet pipe fit the original turbo with the original size clamps but what about the original clamp on the IC?
I am running HPF upgraded IC made with the original clamping, will it fit?
You're trying to eliminate restriction in your intake tract but your intercooler will always be a bottle neck if you use OEM connectors due to the fact that they neck down to about 1.8" at the inlet and outlet.

You'll have to re-use the OEM boot with an intercooler that uses the OEM connection. We highly recommend against using intercoolers with OEM connections for this exact reason. The stock connections are prone to leak but more importantly the 1.8" bottleneck creates a significant restriction whereas the VRSF and other well engineered intercoolers offer inlet and outlet sizing that range from 2.75" to 3".

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 11-16-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #63
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
United_States
330
Rep
1,560
Posts

Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
You're trying to eliminate restriction in your intake tract but your intercooler will always be a bottle neck if you use OEM connectors due to the fact that they neck down to less than 1.8" at the inlet and outlet.

You'll have to re-use the OEM boot with an intercooler that uses the OEM connection. We highly recommend against using intercoolers with OEM connections for this exact reason. The stock connections are prone to leak but more importantly the 1.8" bottleneck creates a significant restriction whereas the VRSF and other well engineered intercoolers offer inlet and outlet sizing that range from 2.75" to 3".
Not sure where you are getting these measurements, but there are certainly no restrictions in IC's due to the use of OE circlip style connections. They typically ID out around 2.4", very typical of most IC's on the market and also perfectly inline with the ~2.5" OD plumbing that supplies them to and from.

On another note this outlet does look very nice. Good work.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #64
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
34,366
Posts


Drives: 335i, M4, M6 GC, X5M
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (99)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Not sure where you are getting these measurements, but there are certainly no restrictions in IC's due to the use of OE circlip style connections. They typically ID out around 2.4", very typical of most IC's on the market and also perfectly inline with the ~2.5" OD plumbing that supplies them to and from.

On another note this outlet does look very nice. Good work.

Rob
Measure the ID of the OEM outlet adapter which when installed is inserted INTO the OEM interooler's inlet and outlet Rob. That's where the restriction lies. When utilizing OEM connectors, you're limited to the ID of the OEM inlet/outlet adapter which are certainly not 2.4", but less than 2" ID.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #65
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
United_States
330
Rep
1,560
Posts

Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Measure the ID of the OEM outlet adapter which when installed is inserted INTO the OEM interooler's inlet and outlet Rob. That's where the restriction lies. When utilizing OEM connectors, you're limited to the ID of the OEM inlet/outlet adapter which are certainly not 2.4", but less than 2" ID.
If one were to try to re-use the accordion style OE coupler with any new high flow outlet, for reasons unknown, then agree it would be less ID at around 2.1". A standard straight 2.5" ID coupler will correct this condition.

The point was that the use of the OE style circlip connections on an IC itself, is of no restriction. Here is an adapter that shows as such.

Rob
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #66
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
United_States
1589
Rep
34,366
Posts


Drives: 335i, M4, M6 GC, X5M
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (99)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Tiago@VRSF
That specific adapter you linked is an aftermarket solution and if you were to use that adapter you're still restricting the intake tract going from 2.5" to 2.3". The OEM connector which 99% of customers are limited to using neck down to around 2".

Every upgraded outlet option available goes ranges from 1.75" to 2" at the turbo outlet and merges into a 2.5" collector at the intercooler. With the OEM connection, you'd then neck down to 2".

That's a bottle neck. Word it however you'd like but it's a restriction in the intake tract.

Last edited by Tiago@VRSF; 11-16-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST