E90Post

European Auto Source (EAS)

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts > xHP Flashtool - Flash your automatic trans! Official thread

06-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #2751
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Hello, I just did a single turbo conversion. I am stage 3 xhp. Should I flash to v1.5 or leave it at v2.1?
2007 335XI SEDAN // JB4 G5 // BMS METH KIT // VRSF DOWNPIPES // AFE DCI // ER CP W/ TIAL BOV // MMP SILICONE INLETS // XHP STAGE 3 AT FLASH // TREBILA BEF // BMS OCC // VRSF EXHAUST // FUEL-IT STAGE 2 LPFP // VRSF FMIC // PRECISION RACEWORKS IGNITION SYSTEM // CATUNED COILOVERS // CIC AND COMBOX RETROFIT //
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #2752
RBT-Tuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Austria
Rep

Drives: 335i F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Hello, I just did a single turbo conversion. I am stage 3 xhp. Should I flash to v1.5 or leave it at v2.1?
Leave V2.1 and use the Custom Module to change your shiftpoints (if you have the feeling thats needed)

It depends on your Turbo and at what rpm it starts to spool.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:22 PM   #2753
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

RBT-Tuning ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT-Tuning View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
@RBT-Tuning

I know you mentioned Linear Throttle in MHD would screw things up, but...

Is it possible to add this improved Throttle response mod ...?

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ottle+response

Either for D mode or S/M?

In the XHP app, or would this have to tuned in via MHD etc?
Throttle response and linear throttle are 2 different things. Response means how direct the throttle blade/engine load reacts to input changes on the pedal. That does not change anything for the trans. (well, not anything really important)

Linear changes the relation between stationary pedal value and the load so in effect it changes the Shiftpoints. (as thats based on pedal value) Maybe "screwed" is the wrong word, but the trans will just not shift like the mapper (being it us or BMW) had it in mind it should do it.

Yes, throttle response and linear throttle are two different things as mentioned in the throttle sensitivity threads...

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...0#post24653240
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
Be mindful that throttle plate response and its actuation speed are a completely different thing to the "Linear Throttle" option that can be ticked in MHD, and of course different to turbo lag too. I only ever use linear throttle on my car under any case, not to be confused with the transient throttle response of an engine which is being discussed here.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1#post24705921
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterY View Post
Lastly, this throttle response fix is not the same as switching linear throttle on/off, people don't get it! Linear throttle option in MHD has to do with torque request table in the tune bin. I.e. if you press 10% throttle, the DME will target 10% of the available torque at the current rpm. Linear throttle means a 1:1 relationship, so 20% accelerator travel = 20% of the available torque, 40% accelerator = 40% torque... etc. The reason MHD included the linear throttle tick box is because from factory these cars have a non-linear throttle, for example: 10% throttle is 20% torque, 40% throttle is 80% torque... etc. by the time you get to 60% accelerator travel, the engine is already producing 100% of its torque, so it's basically full throttle at only 60% accelerator pedal travel, and the remaining 40% of the pedal travel is just a deadzone that doesn't do anything. In my opinion, ticking that MHD linear throttle option is a must, specially when these engines are tuned, the torque is very hard to control, and the longer pedal travel really helps applying the torque smoothly on corner exit without spinning the wheels.

The throttle fix that has been recently discovered is completely different to the throttle mapping and torque request tables, I thought I should clarify that because it's very easy to mix between a sharp throttle response, and a stupid bloated over-reactive accelerator input where 30% accelerator travel is equal to 60% of the available engine torque.

... but the throttle sensitivity threads also indicate that the throttle sensitivity table changes work best with a linear throttle.

A linear throttle (in conjunction with a more sensitive throttle) would be particular useful on a track/circuit so there is more pedal modulation (usable travel) available on corner entry/exit (percentage throttle).
Imagine if only 10mm of pedal travel was equal to 100% throttle - that would be impossible to modulate. Equally, 50% of usable pedal travel is twice as difficult to modulate compared to full (100% usable) pedal travel when you want to be as precise as possible with percentage throttle.

[COLOR="Red"]So the question is, how can the 6AT be tuned in xHP to work with a linear throttle?[/COLOR]
Maybe the shift points need to be based on the throttle position (not the pedal position).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #2754
Saif2018
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

@RBT-Tuning

I've just seen you added Custom Launch Control for 6 speed Automatic transmission, thats great news!

Could you tell us how exactly it should be used?

Hold down break pedal with left foot and increase gas to desired rpm before letting go of brake or hold down break and then floor gas pedal fully then let go of brake?

Also can brake boosting cause damage to the gearbox, brake booster or any part of the engine?

Regards

Last edited by Saif2018; 06-22-2019 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:50 AM   #2755
2007BMW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
@RBT-Tuning

I've just seen you added Custom Launch Control for 6 speed Automatic transmission, thats great news!

Could you tell us how exactly it should be used?

Hold down break pedal with left foot and increase gas to desired rpm before letting go of brake or hold down break and then floor gas pedal fully then let go of brake?

Also can brake boosting cause damage to the gearbox, brake booster or any part of the engine?

Regards
Custom launch control (on the 6hp) is limiting torque in the gears you have traction issues with, via customization module. You will have to experiment to see what works best for you. You want a little bit of tire spin but not so much that it goes sideways or just "blows the tires off".

Brake boost (stalling torque converter) will cause fluid temperatures to rise due to the load on the fluid in the torque converter, you will want to minimize the time you brake boost. Won't hurt anything else any more than normal braking and acceleration.

As for how long you hold the brake, how much throttle and when. That too will take experimenting to see what works best with your car and it's modifications, tires, etc... Many people launch in 2nd gear because it's so easy to spin the tires in 1st.

For me I hold the DTC button for 3 seconds to turn off all traction control and DSC. Currently I limit my boost in 1st and 2nd gear with MHD as I have a baseline with boost that I do not yet know how to correlate with how much torque is needed for the same results. Once I get it dialed in where I want it I will try the single push of the DTC button.

Read this? https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/la...rol_explained/

RBT Tuning can add or correct anything I missed but it sounds like once you optimize your torque limits the single button push traction control will work as it did on a stock car. Allowing some slip without excess throttle closure.
149,000+ miles, MHD, VRSF 5" FMIC, Aluminum charge pipe. E50 tune by Wedge Performance. 3" Catless DP's. Secondary Cat Delete. DCI cold side w/silicone Inlets. N20 TMAP, "Stage 2" Walbro 450 LPFP. xHP Stage 3. 1/4 mile 12.079sec @ 118.79mph. (2.03 60')Before xHP flash and rear cat delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 08:08 AM   #2756
Saif2018
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007BMW335i View Post
Custom launch control (on the 6hp) is limiting torque in the gears you have traction issues with, via customization module. You will have to experiment to see what works best for you. You want a little bit of tire spin but not so much that it goes sideways or just "blows the tires off".

Brake boost (stalling torque converter) will cause fluid temperatures to rise due to the load on the fluid in the torque converter, you will want to minimize the time you brake boost. Won't hurt anything else any more than normal braking and acceleration.

As for how long you hold the brake, how much throttle and when. That too will take experimenting to see what works best with your car and it's modifications, tires, etc... Many people launch in 2nd gear because it's so easy to spin the tires in 1st.

For me I hold the DTC button for 3 seconds to turn off all traction control and DSC. Currently I limit my boost in 1st and 2nd gear with MHD as I have a baseline with boost that I do not yet know how to correlate with how much torque is needed for the same results. Once I get it dialed in where I want it I will try the single push of the DTC button.

Read this? https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/la...rol_explained/

RBT Tuning can add or correct anything I missed but it sounds like once you optimize your torque limits the single button push traction control will work as it did on a stock car. Allowing some slip without excess throttle closure.
Thanks, yes I read that, as I never brake boost and the 6 speed zf has no real LC where you for it and it holds revs until you let go of brake, I was wondering if we do the same on zf6 speed.

I'd rather not risk any Damage to Torque converter, so repeated use can potentially cause serious damage?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #2757
2007BMW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, yes I read that, as I never brake boost and the 6 speed zf has no real LC where you for it and it holds revs until you let go of brake, I was wondering if we do the same on zf6 speed.

I'd rather not risk any Damage to Torque converter, so repeated use can potentially cause serious damage?

Regards
It won't really hurt the torque converter, extended brake boosting will heat the fluid which is bad for the fluid and the transmission in general, a few seconds to launch the car won't hurt anything. At the dragstrip I will hold the brake, rev the engine up to about 1600-1800 then release the brake and mash the throttle at the same time.
149,000+ miles, MHD, VRSF 5" FMIC, Aluminum charge pipe. E50 tune by Wedge Performance. 3" Catless DP's. Secondary Cat Delete. DCI cold side w/silicone Inlets. N20 TMAP, "Stage 2" Walbro 450 LPFP. xHP Stage 3. 1/4 mile 12.079sec @ 118.79mph. (2.03 60')Before xHP flash and rear cat delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #2758
FIREWORKKS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i

If I'm rolling at 20km/h and then floor it in sport, I get double / triple pops when it upshifts from 1st to 2nd. It sounds sort of like a DCT upshift fart. Is it possible for you make a feature where it does this whenever you upshift?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:51 PM   #2759
Ludilo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335

So whats the verdict power wise- in a roll race 30 mph start or so- would the 29WHP come into play per the Dyno that XHP Did on the stock 335 car?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #2760
Saif2018
Rep

Quote:
It won't really hurt the torque converter, extended brake boosting will heat the fluid which is bad for the fluid and the transmission in general, a few seconds to launch the car won't hurt anything. At the dragstrip I will hold the brake, rev the engine up to about 1600-1800 then release the brake and mash the throttle at the same time.
Thanks mate. I guess I'll have to try it then.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #2761
HB E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i Space Gray

Quote:
So your brake boosting in 2nd gear at the strip? I'm worried that load on the TC from a standstill would be very hard on the TC? Especially in 2nd gear? I have mine set for 15psi max in 2nd gear. My tires handle that as long as the road is good. Dumping 15psi from a dead stop in 2nd gear? I'm leary of that so I just do 1st gear which I have set for 10psi max but getting the shift to 2nd ends up being clumsy and timing that is not easy. But I havent done XHP yet but looking at it hard now.

Last edited by HB E90; 06-24-2019 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #2762
Street of Rage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWORKKS View Post
If I'm rolling at 20km/h and then floor it in sport, I get double / triple pops when it upshifts from 1st to 2nd. It sounds sort of like a DCT upshift fart. Is it possible for you make a feature where it does this whenever you upshift?
I think either I asked before or someone else did. RBT answered it's DME programming related, not transmission related.
      06-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #2763
FIREWORKKS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street of Rage View Post
I think either I asked before or someone else did. RBT answered it's DME programming related, not transmission related.
It makes a really long fart noise when I floor it around a corner, traction control kicks in and then it reaches 2nd gear. Maybe they could trick the DME by making the traction control kicks in on upshifts? Just a random idea lol
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #2764
2007BMW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWORKKS View Post
It makes a really long fart noise when I floor it around a corner, traction control kicks in and then it reaches 2nd gear. Maybe they could trick the DME by making the traction control kicks in on upshifts? Just a random idea lol
I believe traction control is initiated by DSC signal to DME, transmission programming can't control that.

I'm experimenting to see if I can make a noise on shift by engaging rev limiter 50 rpm before programmed shift with a 0.1 second interval. This would be a wide open throttle shift only. I'm thinking the rev limiter hit at shift may make some popping noise but I just put in my tune with tuner pro, have not tried it yet. I'm sure it will take some tinkering to hear anything, may not work at all. But this is my custom bin file for the DME (tune) also not an xHP thing. It could also confuse the torque limit on shift in xHP so this could be a total fail.

Last edited by 2007BMW335i; 06-27-2019 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #2765
Raymondo1234
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi Pure stage 2

I tried to use the custom shift points on my 8 speed, I wanted to lower them in 7th and 8th gear to engage them lower in the rpms than standard. Didn't seem to make any difference when I moved the shift points to -50% (all the way to the left) in 6-7 and also 7-8. Went the other way (all the way to the right) for 6-7 7-8 for downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #2766
Soden82
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive

Don't think it's related at all but I sold my buddy my N55 with the ZF6. I had the xhp flash on it when I owned it in conjunction with the JB4. Never had any issues.

He purchased the car from me with stock ECU flash no JB4 or MHD. We flashed the xhp tune and the car kept going into limp mode with coolant warnings on the dash. Stage 3 flash.

Flashed the car back to the stock trans flash and uninstalled xhp and the cars working fine now. Don't see how the TCU and ECU are related in any way but it's an odd coincidence.
-Burger tuning intake-
-VRSF downpipe, HD intercooler, charge pipe-
-quad exhaust-
-high kick spoiler-
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 07:37 PM   #2767
mweisdorfer
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Anyone want to Help me understand what all these numbers mean???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #2768
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Don't think it's related at all but I sold my buddy my N55 with the ZF6. I had the xhp flash on it when I owned it in conjunction with the JB4. Never had any issues.

He purchased the car from me with stock ECU flash no JB4 or MHD. We flashed the xhp tune and the car kept going into limp mode with coolant warnings on the dash. Stage 3 flash.

Flashed the car back to the stock trans flash and uninstalled xhp and the cars working fine now. Don't see how the TCU and ECU are related in any way but it's an odd coincidence.
You didn't state if you were running Stage 3 when you had the JB4.
JB4 allows water pump control so you can run it longer and higher speed.
Automatic cars have a transmission cooler, tied to the radiator.

There is correlation between the JB4 and coolant temperature and therefore transmission temp. Stage 3 can heat up the fluid depending on what you are doing.

You also don't state how many mies and the condition of the fluid.
I don't have issues with my n54 but I also have the sport package with an oil cooler and an extra capacity radiator.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #2769
2007BMW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB E90 View Post
So your brake boosting in 2nd gear at the strip? I'm worried that load on the TC from a standstill would be very hard on the TC? Especially in 2nd gear? I have mine set for 15psi max in 2nd gear. My tires handle that as long as the road is good. Dumping 15psi from a dead stop in 2nd gear? I'm leary of that so I just do 1st gear which I have set for 10psi max but getting the shift to 2nd ends up being clumsy and timing that is not easy. But I havent done XHP yet but looking at it hard now.
You won't see any boost until around 2000 rpm (15 psi after 4000), 1500-1600 rpm is what I use. It's very common to use 2nd gear to launch at the strip.
Appreciate 1
4 Doors188.50

07-05-2019, 12:57 AM   #2770
Hvyarms
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i XDrive

I've been running stage 3 on my E90 Drive for a few months now. Noticed some jerking so I decided to purchase and install stage 2. When I did that, the car gave me a trans malfunction light. Xhp pulled the following code:

4F811 Gear Ratio Monitoring Clutch

Sssso is my transmission suddenly ruined? With flashing back to stock resolve this code? And, how exactly do I do that?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #2771
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvyarms View Post
I've been running stage 3 on my E90 Drive for a few months now. Noticed some jerking so I decided to purchase and install stage 2. When I did that, the car gave me a trans malfunction light. Xhp pulled the following code:

4F811 Gear Ratio Monitoring Clutch

Sssso is my transmission suddenly ruined? With flashing back to stock resolve this code? And, how exactly do I do that?
I remember seeing a video on Youtube about that error code. It was a small rubber/plastic seal under the valve body.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #2772
Chris1337
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

How exactly does the launch control work? Does it keep the torque limited only for the second the car is getting off the line or till traction is made?
Appreciate 0