E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E90 Park Brake CAN BUS fix?

02-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
akhilleus
New
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

E90 Park Brake CAN BUS fix?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but have used this knowledge base extensively for both my E30 and my new aquisition, an 06 330xi. I'm relatively new to CAN BUS coding but have done a fair amount of research on my issue and think this is the direction I should head in.

In short, the red "BRAKE" indicator on the dash is always on the instrument cluster. Whenever I move the car, a loud chime sounds and a brake emblem with the word "park" under it appears. Presumably this is to warn me that my brake is pulled while I'm driving, but I think it also disables cruise control.
I have traced the park brake switch and its wire back to the JBE and unplugged it from the connector, since that should eliminate the brake lever switch or any potential harness shorts. Despite not having the signal wire plugged into the JBE, on a fresh start and drive, the cluster still indicates the park brake is pulled. A quick error log check of the kombi showed me this potentially relevant error:

A551 ID_Failure 0x34F contact hand brake
Logistic counter: 40
Mileage 204728 km
BORDNETVOLTAGE 12.10 VOLT
Message Error no ID 0-n
No matching error symptom
Test conditions fulfilled
Error present now and already stored
Error would not cause a warning lamp to light up
Error code: A5 51 60 28 63 F7 79 01

This makes me think that the error is inside the CAN network, potentially sent from the JBE. Has anyone ever dealt with an issue similar to this or have any ideas as to how I can isolate and then fix my problem? The main reason to fix is that I think this could be keeping my cruise control from working, otherwise I would just disable the speaker that makes the annoying chime.

I had been thinking to try coding out a parking brake check, look at a CAN BUS trace to see if there is disagreement between modules, or see if I should replace the JBE... I am by no means an expert on this stuff but I'm willing to continue learning.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
DanEncore
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black e92

Hey, I have this exact same issue and code, did you ever get to the bottom of it?

Dan
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
akhilleus
New
Rep

I'm pretty sure the JBE in my case needs to be programmed to the car since it was replaced. Each module compares its VO or VIN to each other and this may be some kind of safe mode. Haven't set up INPA and the like to reflash the module with my VO. Hopefully I will get to it nearer to Christmas...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
DanEncore
Registered
Rep
Drives: Black e92

I'm going to have a look at mine this weekend, I'm certain it's relating to the JBE, may take it out and see if there is any noticeable damage before I start with the coding, I've heard coding the Jbe can be tricky as everything runs through it
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
JRV
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AWE90M3

How did it go after programming? I just replaced mine after chasing some electrical gremlins that BMW traced back to failing JBE. After the swap I did not program (will soon) and now have Parking Brake Warning in with chime and all.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
nOshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

Have the same error after a jbe replacement from BMW. Hopefully programming it will take care of it. In my case I'll have to verify that it was programmed after the replacement and verify bmws work :
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #7
akhilleus
New
Rep

Everyone, turns out this is an error that comes up because the JBE is not VIN programmed to the car. If you buy a new module from BMW, it must be flashed with the relevant build data so the controller knows what it needs to do and what options it has.
Appreciate 0