E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Resetting Short Circuit Fault tools 32

11-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #1
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
So, after installing a used FRM 2 module my inner tail lights are giving a short circuit fault code.

I checked it in tools 32. Yep, they hit the max of 60. I was able to reset it to 0.

I switched the lights on & I could see the short circuit fault code rise, after checking the status every 10 sec or so right back to 60. I coded the car to not look for low voltage on all the lights since I use LED's on almost all of my lights using Carly right before this.

Do you think the FRM 2 is faulty? I not sure it is since I can reset the short circuit number to 0. I just think it's a lot more sensitive, for what ever reason. I'm Going to try and add some resistors to that circuit. Interestingly, the back up lights, in the same cluster, work w/out any errors.

I'm obviously going to swap out a light bulb to see if it's the bulb before I add the resistors. If no dice on both, I'll check for power on each wire in the loom.

I don't it's faulty wIring though. They worked prior to installing the FRM 2.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bim...6044&amp=1
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

You maybe having an issue with Bulbs and housings contact points. My car developed the issue with both housings on the trunk itself. I suspect that either corrosion from moisture, arcing via vibrations or both. The lens surrounding the bulbs on my E90 looks a bit melted and the bulbs center contact point was flattened and corroded. I cleaned them up with WD-40, electrical contact cleaner and small screwdriver. Reset the counter and was on the road again.
      12-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #3
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Update -

I took both clusters out cleaned the contact points up, adjusted the contact points a little so they would definitely act like a spring when the new bulb was inserted.

I reset the short circuit fault to 0, on the inner tail lights.

I then took an LED bulb out of the outer tail light and put it into the inner tail light. It went on for 15 sec and then done.

I have LED outer tail lights made by Depo. The circuits are fault protected by built in resistors, for all LED bulbs you put in there. However, the inner tail lights are not protected.

Years ago, when I did this, I just bought canbus type bulbs for the inner tail lights. When I examined the old LED bulbs a little closer, the led light panels on the very top were burnt. So, I figured they had seen their end and when they continued to stay in there, they sent the FRM module a false/negative, which maxed out the short circuit counter.

So, I reset the short circuit counter again. Left the bulbs out and ordered some new LED bulbs from Amazon made by ibrightstar (1156 LED Red). 81% of people gave them either 4 or 5 stars. I also ordered a set of four 50w 6ohm, Orange load resistors.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...a-570786727111

I installed them on both circuits used by the back up lights & the inner tail lights. You have to use the same ground (brown wire) to add the two load resistors to the same cluster. I didn't use the cheap, red clamps. I just cut the wires I wanted, stripped them, and put them into plastic coated electrical terminals & clamped the wires in, for a much better connection.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...NkQ0Qx6BAgPEAE

End result, I now have inner tail lights that are load protected and work with LED bulbs. I double checked the circuit counter for the inner tail lights in tools 32; it's zero for both.......

A little dialectic grease on the LED bulbs is always recommended.
Appreciate 0