E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tips for the OFHG DIY for N55?

12-11-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Tips for the OFHG DIY for N55?

So at ~75k miles my OFHG definitely seems to be leaking. There is some oil / dirt residue on a lot of stuff just below the OFHG. Also Over the past ~8K miles I lost about 1/2-1 quart of oil. It's a 2011 N55.

So I'm planning on tackling this job soon. I've read some of the DIYs and watched a few videos, doesn't seem too bad.

If anyone has any tips for the N55, I'm happy to hear them.

I've ordered genuine BMW gaskets from FCP Euro. I also ordered the coolant return hose because many people say they crack the plastic fitting when removing the hose from the block.

I know I'll need to loosen the intake manifold. To get to that bolt under the manifold I've got a 1/4" drive E10 socket and a wobble extension. I've also got an E10 box wrench.

I plan on using some permatex ultra black on the gasket to try and get a better seal than the gasket alone.
      12-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

get a small #8 wrench, it helps with the bolt closer to the fan. rachet wrench is better.

i cleaned everything with brake cleaner.

remove the oil cooler housing first, i dind't have a problem with coolant hose, gotta wiggle it a bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I don't think you should be adding any other additional gasket material

And a heads up for the coolant hose that cracks... if you use a 8mm or E torx wrench you can get it done without taking it off.

Personally I had issues with my 8mm so had to take it off (bolt head was stripping, probably to tight).

My issue though wasn't the plastic hose it was the O ring on the end, it had expanded and couldn't fit it back in properly. Make sure it comes with a O ring in case of that. I had to go to hardware store get a similar sized O ring, it was still leaking sligthly so I was able to drive it to the dealer to get proper O ring.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      12-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

DO NOT USE extra gasket material. That could end up in small oil channels.

With N55 you have to move the intake manifold out the way a bit. To access that 3rd bolt. I have many extensions and found that bolt impossible to get to without removing the intake a bit out the way.

Be very clean. We have heard enough engine fails after this ;procedure could be due to foreign material getting into the oil passages.

Take ur time. Its not hard at all but people who rush always fail.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
I just did 2 OHF gaskets (both 335s with oil coolers) on sunday. If you can turn a wrench its pretty easy but make sure everthing is plugged and clean surfaces. The bolt behind the intake manifold is the reason its double the work (just removing more things out of the way than you should) but atleast the intake manifold doesnt have to come off.

IMO get the E torx wrench or take the time to upgrade to the metal coolant fitting for the coolant line that has to come off. Brake clean and use a razor to clean off the mating surfaces. I dont know if Id use any gasket material. A small amount shouldnt hurt though depending what you use.

Dealer wanted $760 each plus tax. Cost me $60 for both and took a few hours maybe.
Appreciate 0