Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Semi slick for first track days 335i

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-18-2019, 05:02 AM   #1
renizer
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: '10 E91 335xi N55 MT6

Semi slick for first track days 335i

Hello there,
so I'm looking at some options for a track day wheel set.
I'm a somewhat experienced sporty driver, do some test driving at work also but haven't been down any circuit tracks with my own cars so far so I'm still considering myself somewhere in the medium range.
Even looking at used rims & used tires right now for the first track day (Thursday). I'm also thinking about going 18 or 19" from my current street 17" sets to get better response and stiffer flank (from a "shorter" tire sidewall and taller wheel).
I'll use xDelete and a Wavetrac LSD on an otherwise stock 335xi LCI. As I'll only run them on the track, I'm good as long as the wheels/tires fit the car. Maybe also something along the lines of the original 225/255 combo or a step-up version of that (235/265 or whatever) so I could still try xDrive out on the track. With fresh oil the ATC should not have any trouble with a <= 1% tire circumference difference.

What do you think about some cheaper options like the Federal 595RS, the Pilot Super Sport (a little older) or the Pilot Sport 3 or 4 (not S), as compared to something like the Pilot Sport Cup 2 which should be a real track tire?

Hoping to get some experiences from you guys here, thanks in advance!
Greetz from Austria
Andi
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I would recommend a basic set of summer tires for your first track day. Pilot super sport is a nice tire but very expensive. Same goes for the other Michelin options you listed. Tires can be easily worn on the track as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
renizer
Private
Austria
Rep

That's exactly why I'd rather not go with just standard summer tires. I think there's enough power and driving skill to overheat/shred standard summer tires.
As said I was looking at some used options so not that expensive for the first tries
Just thought I'd like to hear some feedback running stock suspension with those tires from you guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

I can't answer your track tire question, but to answer what you asked me in someone else's thread...

I love them... everything improved with the switch, ride, grip, noise...however, it's not a very fair comparison to the Super Sports I had prior. With the 4S's I went from 18s to 19s, RFT to non RFT and width front and back increased by 2 sizes each(225-245 and 255-275).

There is a Track Sub-Forum here, by the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

I'd stick with a 100-200 treadwear tire before going r-comp/full slick. I prefer RE71r.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #6
renizer
Private
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I love them... everything improved with the switch, ride, grip, noise...however, it's not a very fair comparison to the Super Sports I had prior. With the 4S's I went from 18s to 19s, RFT to non RFT and width front and back increased by 2 sizes each(225-245 and 255-275).
thanks for your feedback, but yeah that's indeed too much other changes to be comparing apples and apples.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:58 AM   #7
renizer
Private
Austria
Rep

So I ended up running some MPSC2 in 245/40/18 I had found a local affordable offer for. I had to remove the passenger side vent grille inside the arch to clear the tires with the 8Jx18 ET20 rims from the E60 M sport pack. See pics attached, as said they're just for track use so I don't have to worry if they're sticking a tiny bit outside the fender wells.

The PSC2 were quite nice to drive to on track for some 100miles to run them in, nice stiff sidewalls and grippy once they got only a little heat in them. At the track, I was a little disappointed by them though, at least for the fronts. I tried different tire pressures between 2.2 and 2.7 bar warm, between 2.2 and 2.5 there was not much difference in terms of grip, still had quite some understeer after the first half lap and also the rear felt a little loose. over 2.5 of course there was less grip. I hit the racing line pretty well so usually they should work well there?
Anyone ever had that experience with these tires? Maybe it's a matter of the car being too heavy or my old stock suspension not giving them what they want? A friend suggested I need to run much more camber up front, like -1.5 instead of the -0.5° i have now, which seems to be maximum possible without camber plates or similar? Can you actually elongate the holes to get more camber? Picture attached of what alignment I'm running now as of January '19 (left shows before alignment, middle is reference, right side is actual).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0