E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E91 328xi -> 335xi brake upgrade, coding?

12-23-2023, 10:00 PM   #1
Lewis way
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328XI E91 6MT Sport

E91 328xi -> 335xi brake upgrade, coding?

Just completed a 335xi brake conversion on my 328xi. Rotors, calipers, pads, caliper brackets, lines all done. Car stops great and can lock up the front tires quite easily on an abrupt stop.

The only thing I am unhappy with is my brake pedal feel. It could be my imagination but it feels like the pedal travel is longer than it was. I have completely bled the system 4x using both the 2 person technique and a power bleeder. I have also ran the abs bleed procedure on my scanner while bleeding. So I do not believe there is any air in the lines. The master cylinder between the 328 and 335 are identical so it cannot be that.

I am looking for a way to make the pedal feel shorter again. From my research some people seem to think coding can do this? If you have done this conversion I would love to hear your stories. If coding is my solution what is the cost of remote coding/reccomendations on where to get it done at?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 03:57 PM   #2
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Lots of info here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1317220&page=2

Short answer is you need to add +SPBR to the VO.

As far as coding goes, it's pretty simple. If you're brand new to coding, there is a little bit of a learning curve.

I've done it and I'm happy with the result (though I never drove it with the 335i brakes + no coding, so I can't compare the difference the coding made).
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2024, 08:41 PM   #3
Lewis way
Registered
Rep

Would you have a specific recommendation on where i could learn to do this coding/ a guide to follow? I have an Enet cable and windows pc.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 07:11 AM   #4
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Why would you need coding? the 335 and 328 share brake lines/master cylinder/booster and abs module. Other than the ABS module there is no electronic module for the braking system.

The coding for the abs module has no change in the bore size/pressure or assist so the coding will do nothing under normal braking; however it can change the amount of assist under ABS conditions or traction control assist.

You have a longer pedal feel because the piston are bigger on all 4 calipers; takes more volume to fill through the same bore on the master cylinder. However I believe the E90 M3 to be slightly larger and can be retrofitted.

(I have a 335i as well has a 328 that was retrofitted to 330i front and 330i/335 rear brakes for reference)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 05:17 PM   #5
N54MPower
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattanderson View Post
Lots of info here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1317220&page=2

Short answer is you need to add +SPBR to the VO.

As far as coding goes, it's pretty simple. If you're brand new to coding, there is a little bit of a learning curve.

I've done it and I'm happy with the result (though I never drove it with the 335i brakes + no coding, so I can't compare the difference the coding made).
I agree with this. I have F80 front and rear brakes on my E91 and drove it for some time without coding the sport brake option in the vehicle order after learning about it, I coded it and, the change in brake pedal feel was noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis way View Post
Would you have a specific recommendation on where i could learn to do this coding/ a guide to follow? I have an Enet cable and windows pc.
I used the BimmerGeeks Pro Tool software to code mine. It's easy once you buy the license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
Why would you need coding? the 335 and 328 share brake lines/master cylinder/booster and abs module. Other than the ABS module there is no electronic module for the braking system.

The coding for the abs module has no change in the bore size/pressure or assist so the coding will do nothing under normal braking; however it can change the amount of assist under ABS conditions or traction control assist.

You have a longer pedal feel because the piston are bigger on all 4 calipers; takes more volume to fill through the same bore on the master cylinder. However I believe the E90 M3 to be slightly larger and can be retrofitted.

(I have a 335i as well has a 328 that was retrofitted to 330i front and 330i/335 rear brakes for reference)
No one is saying that you "need" coding. The brakes will function without any coding. The coding does change the pedal feel by removing the travel and making it firmer. I have no explanation as to what the coding changes, but I read about it, had the tools to make the change, and did so without regret.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2024, 06:33 AM   #6
wrevilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i N55 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54MPower View Post
I agree with this. I have F80 front and rear brakes on my E91 and drove it for some time without coding the sport brake option in the vehicle order after learning about it, I coded it and, the change in brake pedal feel was noticeable.

I used the BimmerGeeks Pro Tool software to code mine. It's easy once you buy the license.

No one is saying that you "need" coding. The brakes will function without any coding. The coding does change the pedal feel by removing the travel and making it firmer. I have no explanation as to what the coding changes, but I read about it, had the tools to make the change, and did so without regret.
Sounds like I need my F3x 340/345mm brakes coded if that would help with the initial pedal firmness. At present it feels like the brakes don't have the initial bite of the stock brakes.
Appreciate 1
N54MPower283.50
      01-30-2024, 09:00 AM   #7
Lewis way
Registered
Rep

Coded the brakes by changing the VO using bimmer geeks protool. Very simple. Difference is small but you can definitely tell the brake feel changes. If i had brand new pads I think the feel change would be more noticable. The abs doesn't lock up the front as badly when emergency stopping. So overall I am happy I did it but expected more. I think new brake pads could be the last thing I need to perfect this setup.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2024, 06:19 PM   #8
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep

Nice!

The biggest difference is that they won't fade. I love having that confidence in the canyons or on the track.

Sounds like you got it right!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:09 PM   #9
wrevilo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i N55 6MT

I had +SPBR to the VO added to my car over the weekend. I am running the F3x 340/345mm brakes and I do think that the initial pedal firmness has improved.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 03:39 PM   #10
mattanderson
Private First Class
Rep

Recently stumbled upon this post while reading through Biginboca's build thread, and thought it was relevant to the software & pedal feel discussion:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...&postcount=754

Appreciate 0