E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car won’t start after battery went flat

07-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #23
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Makes a bit more sense because battery wise the symptoms never stacked up, that said, while there is power and signal to the starter motor is the ground okay? I'm not 100% sure but it's not the main engine ground strap it uses, I "think" it's the one on the bonnet possibly so it may be worth checking and temporarily putting some wire in place just to see if it does work?

I took this a while back for another member.

https://youtube.com/shorts/cj0voFQbylU?feature=share

Oh and maybe give the starter motor a little tap, you never know
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #24
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
I was just thinking maybe the starter is stuck, but have no idea if that`s even i thing with our cars... - Anyway give it a wack or rock the car back and forth whilst in gear would free it up if so. Can't hurt to try.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #25
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Quote:
Makes a bit more sense because battery wise the symptoms never stacked up, that said, while there is power and signal to the starter motor is the ground okay? I'm not 100% sure but it's not the main engine ground strap it uses, I "think" it's the one on the bonnet possibly so it may be worth checking and temporarily putting some wire in place just to see if it does work?

I took this a while back for another member.

https://youtube.com/shorts/cj0voFQbylU?feature=share

Yeah I tried all of the fuses and relays again again which were all good. Charged my new battery and spare up and attempted to use them, both did exactly the same, no starts and just two clicks.

Damn, I thought the ground was the main ground at the bottom of the car shown in your video. Well I haven’t checked that then but I am part way through removing the starter motor now haha. I’ll just do it and hope it works.

It sort of makes sense as before all of this I had an intermittent starting fault where every so often you would would start the car and it would crank but not turn over and sometimes would take 5-10 starts before it started up. Replaced the battery, maybe helped a little bit but it did it every so often. I did check the main ground for that at the bottom and it was all good but never got to the bottom of it. So I guess it still could be ground, but also could be the starter.

My thinking was, when I was trying to jump start the car I was putting a lot of strain/pressure on the starter (and trying to start it on a low battery) and it gave up seeing as it was already weak (if the starter was causing the problem). We will see anyway.

Thanks for the vid!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #26
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
I was just thinking maybe the starter is stuck, but have no idea if that`s even i thing with our cars... - Anyway give it a wack or rock the car back and forth whilst in gear would free it up if so. Can't hurt to try.
Too far into it now to give it a try, I should of. But thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #27
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Next thing I wanted to ask is, am I right in saying that these are the two screws that need to be removed to take off the starter?

And if so what is the best tool/tools to use to remove them. I think they are male E sockets but I can’t get a socket on them. I can get a 10mm ring spanner on it which does fit nicely which I think I will be able to get the top one out, but doesn’t look like the bottom one will fit, not sure what will fit on that one.

https://streamable.com/32pluz
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 04:09 AM   #28
mt10argyll
Rep
Drives: 330d

Garage List
2006 bmw 330d  [0.00]
I think the cas and dde is out of sync, I had it happen once on my 530d, I sorted it with ista, the thing is I can't remember what I did with ista to sort it, Have you tried disconnecting the battery then connecting it again after 10mins.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #29
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt10argyll View Post
I think the cas and dde is out of sync, I had it happen once on my 530d, I sorted it with ista, the thing is I can't remember what I did with ista to sort it, Have you tried disconnecting the battery then connecting it again after 10mins.
Yes, re-synced cas and dde in ista and tried disconnecting and re-connecting battery. No luck. I think it may be the starter.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #30
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Haven’t got much room to take the screws out for the starter. They are e12 but not enough space to get a socket and ratchet on. I managed to get the top one out with a flexible 10mm ratchet spanner which was relatively ok. I can get the 10mm flex spanner on the bottom one but the angle it needs to be at to push down to loosen it, it then is obstructed by the housing, which pushed it out and off the screw slightly, so if I put lots of pressure I think it would just round.

Does anyone have an idea of what tool would be best? Or what tool you’ve used if you’ve done this before? Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #31
Daviebrown
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Processing61 View Post
Haven’t got much room to take the screws out for the starter. They are e12 but not enough space to get a socket and ratchet on. I managed to get the top one out with a flexible 10mm ratchet spanner which was relatively ok. I can get the 10mm flex spanner on the bottom one but the angle it needs to be at to push down to loosen it, it then is obstructed by the housing, which pushed it out and off the screw slightly, so if I put lots of pressure I think it would just round.

Does anyone have an idea of what tool would be best? Or what tool you’ve used if you’ve done this before? Thanks
I use an e12-e10 combination spanner that has been heated and bent to 45 degrees 30mm from the e12 end.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:03 AM   #32
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviebrown View Post
I use an e12-e10 combination spanner that has been heated and bent to 45 degrees 30mm from the e12 end.
I will give that a go, thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #33
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I’ve ordered an e12 spanner. I thought I’d have a go bending a 10mm spanner first to practice. I’ve broke two so far lol. What did you use to heat it up? I have a feeling a heat gun isn’t quite cutting it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #34
Daviebrown
Private
Rep

Oxy acetylene welding torch, you need to get it cherry red, if you try to use a 10mm and the bolt is tight as normal, you’ll take the corners off the bolt head then you will have trouble. Im trying to post a picture of the spanner i use but i can’t from my iphone.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 01:13 PM   #35
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oxy acetylene welding torch, you need to get it cherry red, if you try to use a 10mm and the bolt is tight as normal, you’ll take the corners off the bolt head then you will have trouble. Im trying to post a picture of the spanner i use but i can’t from my iphone.
Just sent you a pm
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #36
Daviebrown
Private
Rep

Is your car 3.0 diesel auto?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 12:12 PM   #37
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE:

The starter motor was the problem. Most likely was what was causing my intermittent starting fault. So was weak anyway, then the jumping killed it (I’m thinking anyway). Replaced and I’m back up and running, seem to have gotten rid of the intermittent starting too.

Shout out to @Daviebrown for helping me out and sending me a bent E12 spanner which fitted perfectly
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:42 PM   #38
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:
UPDATE:

Shout out to @Daviebrown for helping me out and sending me a bent E12 spanner which fitted perfectly
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 02:51 PM   #39
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Nice to see the E90post community still coming together 😁 so with the starter issue resolved, did you have a chance to test your reverse camera?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 03:13 PM   #40
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nice to see the E90post community still coming together 😁 so with the starter issue resolved, did you have a chance to test your reverse camera?
I haven’t properly looked into it further but I have found out some more info.

So I spoke to the supplier of the camera and they said how everybody else wired their system and how they recommend, is; relay filter circuit (to stabilise voltage) in line with positive and negative of reverse light, DC positive and rca trigger to positive of relay filter, DC neg to neg of relay filter, RCA into camera RCA, then RCA wire ran to the front and RCA to “cam/rev cam in” of android loom, RCA trigger wire into “Rev/det” wire.

But, there is a problem… I also spoke to the supplier/manufacturer of my Android stereo/head unit and even though when they sold it to me they said it had a reverse camera input and it works on the PDC screen, they have now confirmed that mine actually doesn’t. It doesn’t have a proper reverse camera input for RCA. So I think that is the problem. It only has the aux input through the RCA. So I don’t think there is anyway I can get it to work properly. I bought the unit from Alibaba a while ago so I doubt I will get anywhere else with it if I’m honest. A little annoying having to go over onto apps, then aux to see the camera and then not seeing your PDC. I’m not sure if there is a way round it or if I can somehow add a reverse cam input from the loom or the stereo itself
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 06:42 PM   #41
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I haven’t properly looked into it further but I have found out some more info.

So I spoke to the supplier of the camera and they said how everybody else wired their system and how they recommend, is; relay filter circuit (to stabilise voltage) in line with positive and negative of reverse light, DC positive and rca trigger to positive of relay filter, DC neg to neg of relay filter, RCA into camera RCA, then RCA wire ran to the front and RCA to “cam/rev cam in” of android loom, RCA trigger wire into “Rev/det” wire.

But, there is a problem… I also spoke to the supplier/manufacturer of my Android stereo/head unit and even though when they sold it to me they said it had a reverse camera input and it works on the PDC screen, they have now confirmed that mine actually doesn’t. It doesn’t have a proper reverse camera input for RCA. So I think that is the problem. It only has the aux input through the RCA. So I don’t think there is anyway I can get it to work properly. I bought the unit from Alibaba a while ago so I doubt I will get anywhere else with it if I’m honest. A little annoying having to go over onto apps, then aux to see the camera and then not seeing your PDC. I’m not sure if there is a way round it or if I can somehow add a reverse cam input from the loom or the stereo itself
Can you link the head unit you purchased? And does it run Android with the Play Store installed?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:42 AM   #42
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Can you link the head unit you purchased? And does it run Android with the Play Store installed?
Yes it runs Android and has the play store installed.

Ive gone back on my history on Alibaba and this it the link I have to my purchase: https://m.alibaba.com/product/62334556970/Android-10-car-dvd-player-for.html?__sceneInfo=%7B%22type%22:%22appDetailSha re%22,%22data%22:%7B%22filterKey%22:%227.8.2_share %22,%22cacheTime%22:%221800000%22%7D%7D.

I’m not sure if it’s changed or has been updated as this was late 2019 but i made a couple upgrades to the standard unit and mine had Android 9.0 software, 6 core, 4gb ram, 32gb rom. I did have a couple more issues with this unit but I gave up with it in the end as the customer service was almost non existent. But that’s what you get for buying cheap direct from China
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #43
MrSweet1991
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes it runs Android and has the play store installed.

Ive gone back on my history on Alibaba and this it the link I have to my purchase: https://m.alibaba.com/product/623345...00000%22%7D%7D.

I’m not sure if it’s changed or has been updated as this was late 2019 but i made a couple upgrades to the standard unit and mine had Android 9.0 software, 6 core, 4gb ram, 32gb rom. I did have a couple more issues with this unit but I gave up with it in the end as the customer service was almost non existent. But that’s what you get for buying cheap direct from China
Hi mate,

I was just having a little daydream and wondering what you could possibly do and just a quick thing I tried last night on my phone was using an application called "Tasker" it's an android application that automates things and I use it to automatically enable the Hotspot on my phone when it connects to the Carly adapter in the car and then disable the Hotspot and re-enable WiFi.. So on my phone I created a task which triggers when I open the bimmerforums app, when hat app is opened I set tasker to kill the bimmerforum app and open the camera app and it worked, so I was thinking as a temporary solution you could do the exact same thing except it triggers when the reverse camera app is opened and then have tasker launch the aux app or what ever it was that shows your reverse camera.

Moving forward I'd say we may need to look into the reverse camera app on your android unit, there must be an entry coded into that app that sources the camera input from something other than aux.

Furthermore there is a factory settings menu that you can usually enter on the head unit and it does contain things like button mappings so it may also be possible to change the reverse camera source from there. Its really hard because I don't have that unit so I'm sure of things like the password to enter those settings.

Oh and have you also looked at the camera settings in the android settings? On my there's a few options like extra settings, settings, factory settings and if the same it may have some options for the reverse cameram furthermore, if you hold down on the screen while the reverse camera app is open, does it not give you a menu to go into

Last edited by MrSweet1991; 07-30-2021 at 02:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 04:10 PM   #44
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate,

I was just having a little daydream and wondering what you could possibly do and just a quick thing I tried last night on my phone was using an application called "Tasker" it's an android application that automates things and I use it to automatically enable the Hotspot on my phone when it connects to the Carly adapter in the car and then disable the Hotspot and re-enable WiFi.. So on my phone I created a task which triggers when I open the bimmerforums app, when hat app is opened I set tasker to kill the bimmerforum app and open the camera app and it worked, so I was thinking as a temporary solution you could do the exact same thing except it triggers when the reverse camera app is opened and then have tasker launch the aux app or what ever it was that shows your reverse camera.

Moving forward I'd say we may need to look into the reverse camera app on your android unit, there must be an entry coded into that app that sources the camera input from something other than aux.

Furthermore there is a factory settings menu that you can usually enter on the head unit and it does contain things like button mappings so it may also be possible to change the reverse camera source from there. Its really hard because I don't have that unit so I'm sure of things like the password to enter those settings.

Oh and have you also looked at the camera settings in the android settings? On my there's a few options like extra settings, settings, factory settings and if the same it may have some options for the reverse cameram furthermore, if you hold down on the screen while the reverse camera app is open, does it not give you a menu to go into
Hey dude, appreciate you having a look into it!

That’s interesting. I’ll have to check gasket out. So when you go into reverse and it goes onto the PDC screen, you would set tasker to open the aux app (which is where the camera is displayed)? How would you find out what action/task/app it is called when the Android goes onto the PDC screen when in reverse, to map the task to open the aux app?

When you say “reverse camera app”, is that the screen/app that is open on the android screen once you go into reverse, which shows the PDC screen and camera (if the camera worked)?

Is that factory settings on the android unit? I do know the password for that and have looked through the settings and changed some around to see if I could figure it out. I’ll take a video tomorrow and send it here.

I believe if I’m in reverse and on the Android PDC screen, if I press the button it goes onto the Home Screen of the android unit and if I hold the button down while in the reverse app for a few secs it brings up the idrive screen. I’ll send some pictures/videos tomorrow.

Also I now have another problem lol. It’s to do with the CCC idrive system. Basically the idrive screen has suddenly got darker and has a pink/blue hue to it, it was working perfectly fine before and if you go into the android screen there is no problems with the screen, so it’s not the screen itself which has a problem, it’s the CCC idrive. Here is a couple if pics. It’s like you do one thing and then you are left with 2/3 other things to fix haha

https://streamable.com/zc1eth
Attached Images

Appreciate 0