E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > High beams not working + adaptive light warning on

01-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #1
analpowder
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i e90

High beams not working + adaptive light warning on

Hello there!

I was going to switch out my oem xenon hid headlights for some aftermarket ones, but maybe the best route is to clean the current ones and code out the adaptive light error.
However, I have a bigger issue.

I am not sure if it's because of the adaptive headlight error, but I cannot keep my high beams on. I pull the lever away from me (which keeps high beams on) and they don't turn on. The "high beam light" does come on in the dash, but no lights.
However, when I pull the lever towards me, the high beams will come on + the dash light. But I cannot hold on to the lever... Can't drive like that.
Could do this be due to the adaptive light sensors or is this something else?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

how did you decide that high beam do not come on when you pull level away from you ?
and what is model year of your 328 ?
      01-11-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
analpowder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
how did you decide that high beam do not come on when you pull level away from you ?
and what is model year of your 328 ?
The 328i is a 2007 model. Came with HID/Xenon and adaptive lights.
I checked to make sure the high beams were turning on, and while I was driving (when pulling the lever away from me to keep them on) they didn't turn on, but if I held on to the lever (pulling it towards me) they would come on...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
langsbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

The pull is a different bulb - it's halogen, used for flash to pass. The push turns high beams on with a servo on the xenons that changes its beam. It looks like your high beam bi-xenon may be acting up along with the adaptive. Maybe code out the adaptive to see if the bixenons work?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 09:50 PM   #5
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by analpowder View Post
The 328i is a 2007 model. Came with HID/Xenon and adaptive lights.
I checked to make sure the high beams were turning on, and while I was driving (when pulling the lever away from me to keep them on) they didn't turn on, but if I held on to the lever (pulling it towards me) they would come on...
Your adaptive module is probably fried. Why not replace it? It's like 100$ on eBay.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #6
analpowder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by langsbr View Post
The pull is a different bulb - it's halogen, used for flash to pass. The push turns high beams on with a servo on the xenons that changes its beam. It looks like your high beam bi-xenon may be acting up along with the adaptive. Maybe code out the adaptive to see if the bixenons work?
I've been working on coding out the adaptive error.
With the VO $524 and the check_error to nich_activ.
I need to apparently code the FRM and CAS to default, which is something I am having trouble with and wasn't doing either, so I need to code both of those to default to see if the error will go away and hopefully the high beams will turn on when pushing the lever away from me.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
analpowder
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Your adaptive module is probably fried. Why not replace it? It's like 100$ on eBay.
It is fried.
But I don't know which one is. There are 2.
Might just code out the error and see if the high beams work, as mentioned in the comment above.

However, if I am buying the 2 modules, I think I'd just buy new aftermarket headlights for like 400... I'm sure they wouldn't be as nice as the OEM's, but at least they'd work with the Adaptive thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #8
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is fried.
But I don't know which one is. There are 2.
Might just code out the error and see if the high beams work, as mentioned in the comment above.

However, if I am buying the 2 modules, I think I'd just buy new aftermarket headlights for like 400... I'm sure they wouldn't be as nice as the OEM's, but at least they'd work with the Adaptive thing.
Swap the modules....at night see which one does the startup sweep. Other one is bad. Also when mine died the one that was bad went all the way left. See if one is angled wrong..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #9
analpowder
Rep

Quote:
Swap the modules....at night see which one does the startup sweep. Other one is bad. Also when mine died the one that was bad went all the way left. See if one is angled wrong..
Neither one seem to be angled one way.
I'd have to try and see which one is busted if I swap the modules. Not to confident doing that.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Neither one seem to be angled one way.
I'd have to try and see which one is busted if I swap the modules. Not to confident doing that.
Super easy. Let me know if you want to give it a shot. I'll help you out. It will take you 30 mins. And you only need basic tools to take wheels and wheel liner off. You might need to remove bumper which is also really easy but I forgot if you can see module from wheel well
2007 335XI SEDAN // JB4 G5 // BMS METH KIT // VRSF DOWNPIPES // AFE DCI // ER CP W/ TIAL BOV // MMP SILICONE INLETS // XHP STAGE 3 AT FLASH // TREBILA BEF // BMS OCC // VRSF EXHAUST // FUEL-IT STAGE 2 LPFP // VRSF FMIC // PRECISION RACEWORKS IGNITION SYSTEM // CATUNED COILOVERS // CIC AND COMBOX RETROFIT //
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
analpowder
Rep

Quote:
Super easy. Let me know if you want to give it a shot. I'll help you out. It will take you 30 mins. And you only need basic tools to take wheels and wheel liner off. You might need to remove bumper which is also really easy but I forgot if you can see module from wheel well
Might need to go to my local mechanic. He's pretty good about stuff like that. I will try coding out the error and setting the NFRM and CAS modules to default, since I wasnt doing that. If the high beams work after that, then it should be ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #12
GucciE90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 335i xdrive M sports

I recently got aftermarket headlights but when I installed them and checked if my lights work. My high beams won't work even if I push or pull the lever. I had adaptive headlights and switched to non-adaptive headlight, haven't done any coding for the adaptive headlight malfunction, could that be the reason why my high beams won't work? There LED instead of bi-xenon.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 12:10 PM   #13
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciE90 View Post
I recently got aftermarket headlights but when I installed them and checked if my lights work. My high beams won't work even if I push or pull the lever. I had adaptive headlights and switched to non-adaptive headlight, haven't done any coding for the adaptive headlight malfunction, could that be the reason why my high beams won't work? There LED instead of bi-xenon.
You had factory adaptive xenons; Are the headlights you bought MEANT for xenon cars?

Coding is likely your reason (not related to adaptive coding)
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2021, 09:17 AM   #14
NY2ATL07
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Space Gray 335i Cabriolet

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Saturday night I hit a bump in the road and I noticed that my right headlight beam was off. After returning home, I saw the adaptive cover in the headlights had broken. I now have to open it up but not sure which sealant to use when putting them back together.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 12:05 AM   #15
GucciE90
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvan View Post
Quote:
You had factory adaptive xenons; Are the headlights you bought MEANT for xenon cars?

Coding is likely your reason (not related to adaptive coding)
I don't think they were meant for xenon
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #16
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
IF the new ones are halogen/led, You need to disable the “bi xenons installed” option in your frm.
You should still be getting a high beam flash when pulling the stalk.
Do the new headlights have a bulb on the inner part of the housing? That’s where your new high beam should be.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 04:12 AM   #17
GucciE90
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
Quote:
IF the new ones are halogen/led, You need to disable the “bi xenons installed” option in your frm.
You should still be getting a high beam flash when pulling the stalk.
Do the new headlights have a bulb on the inner part of the housing? That’s where your new high beam should be.
It has a halogen where the high beam is at, but the only time it turns on is when I'm completely stopped and use the turn signal, so the bulb works but it doesn't work with the high beams.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:35 PM   #18
cc5500
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328I XDRIVE

Did you ever fix this issue

I recently bought spec d aftermarket headlights, Everything works, but the high beams, I've had this problem on my last set of aftermarket lights, Coding is a option but I'm not the best with it. Thanks let me know if u resolved your issue.
Appreciate 0