E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 -- Anybody Drive One Yet?

04-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
my92
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The comparison reads like a 328i vs. a 335i...I'm pretty sure no matter how well designed the n55 engine is it won't be as drastic as how the OP described it unless he's running in limp mode on his n54 and doesn't know it.

"and being in town, i couldnt see the limits of the engines capabilities, but nothing suffered in the change -- once you hit 2nd it feels like you kicked in an afterburner, you get pushed deeper into the drivers seat as the light poles turn into picket fences "

really? The single turbo can make you experience this but not our current n54 engines? What does the n55 have that can allow this sort of experience but not our n54 engines which has the same power ratio?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Look if you want to pick this thing to death, go right ahead...

I DRIVE A N54 -- not a banged up Honda, or other car that would skew my impression of the car.. Just like magazine articles, driver impressions are going to be different, as they should be.. we each have our own opinions - but the proof is always in the "pudding"...

Not withstanding the fact that i have chance to drive just about every new platform that is released - i will not contend the fact some will not like the car. i dont like the idea that BMW went a single turbo application, but i didnt drive it to see if my car was better (or worse) -- i just drove the car.

I made the statement that new car comes out of the hole harder.. i can easily turn light poles into picket fences with my car, it just takes a little longer -- and no, there is nothing wrong with my adaptation values as i drive my car as it should be driven

so when these cars debut on the street, dont be surprised it they are not easy picking -- then our disagreement will be over ..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #25
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 325is; 2007 E92 335i

Nice review! I'd be interested in checking one out for the heck of it. The problem is my car is non-modified and my daily driver, meaning that it's adapted to a lot of slow stop and go driving and so on. To the point where a stock 328i loaner feels punchier at lower speeds and a new stock 335i feels like a 911 turbo.

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #26
BoostedE90
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
I wonder if they are still using the 1 piece manifold/turbine housing design.
In this pic it looks like they are sitll using a 1 piece design:
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #27
shifterboy45
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Nice review! I'd be interested in checking one out for the heck of it. The problem is my car is non-modified and my daily driver, meaning that it's adapted to a lot of slow stop and go driving and so on. To the point where a stock 328i loaner feels punchier at lower speeds and a new stock 335i feels like a 911 turbo.
When i drive a new car, i try to put off my bias hat and go brain dead about expectations, it was hard to do with all the negativity that has surrounded the new engine -- not just consumers, but techs alike --- so i took the chance that it did perform reasonably --

From the time i started the car, the exhaust sounded really healthy, and my car has the performance exhaust on it, and this wasnt quite there (i did start it cold) -- but it was surprising for a single turbo application. that made me smile, cuz i got out of the car just to listen to it--

i know there's gonna be a lotta debate on the N55 vs N54, and somewhere down the line and true numbers will pop up, and everyones questions will be answered -- I have always liked the N54 (from inception), and probably remain a fan for its life-cycle. one thing is clear - new 335 owners are not getting jipped in the process -- and thats a good thing!!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #28
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterboy45 View Post
When i drive a new car, i try to put off my bias hat and go brain dead about expectations, it was hard to do with all the negativity that has surrounded the new engine
If you ask me, I think that you made a purpose out of proving that you are not biased and the N55 doubters are wrong. I am not even sure you drove an N55. I remember reading some other posts of yours and you sound strange to say the least. I believe you are just making things up in order to prove random points and stir some interest.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #29
ClarkGriswold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, Audi Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
If you ask me, I think that you made a purpose out of proving that you are not biased and the N55 doubters are wrong. I am not even sure you drove an N55. I remember reading some other posts of yours and you sound strange to say the least. I believe you are just making things up in order to prove random points and stir some interest.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #30
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedE90 View Post
In this pic it looks like they are sitll using a 1 piece design:
I'm willing to bet that manifold/turbo/downpipe will fit the n54 engine. I can't imagine they'd redesign the head ports too much on the engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #31
shifterboy45
Major
Rep

Quote:
normally i would get offended by a comment like that .. but what the hell its a forum, ur intitled your own misconceptions ..

would you like the stock number of the car and the build specs on it ?

if you were in So Calif. I would even invite you to come down and drive the car.. any takers?

anyone? post me -- and ill arrange a test drive for you - is that proof enough?? or is there something else that i can do to ease your mind?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #32
shifterboy45
Major
Rep

and no, i am not a salesman for BMW. if that ever comes to mind.

but i do have good connections with the local dealer..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #33
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
I kinda agree.... the 'night and day' comparison of the engines doesn't even make any sense. As the one poster above said, it's like he's comparing the 328 to the 335. They didn't change anything even REMOTELY that drastically.

Maybe the difference between a loaded one and a stripped down one? Or even the automatic thing that was mentioned before... the ecu/automatic tranny does learn.....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #34
shifterboy45
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
I kinda agree.... the 'night and day' comparison of the engines doesn't even make any sense. As the one poster above said, it's like he's comparing the 328 to the 335. They didn't change anything even REMOTELY that drastically.

Maybe the difference between a loaded one and a stripped down one? Or even the automatic thing that was mentioned before... the ecu/automatic tranny does learn.....
Now i know how Colombus felt when we told the other fellas in his peer group, "the earth is round" -- no, lies all lies!! you'll fall of the edge of the world if you go too far!!

someone will test drive the car, sooner or later, albeit maybe not from this forum (just kidding) -- and report back similar findings. i can wait, i do not hold an alleigence to a particular product (or car) as i have been in the car business for over 35yrs and with the BMW product for 20yrs -- but in the end -- as the old saying goes, "it is what it is" -- with my comments or without

you can arm chair analyse this till the cows come home ... but if you really want to prove me wrong -- go drive one for yourself.. doesnt mean you have to like it, or buy it...

thats all for me --
<simple case of reverse FUD>
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #35
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post

Exactly, this is the difference the OP is feeling. A car that has not had any time to adjust to a driving style compared to the OP's car which has adapted to normal day to day driving with probably very minimal WOT's.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #36
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Now i know how Colombus felt when we told the other fellas in his peer group, "the earth is round" -- no, lies all lies!! you'll fall of the edge of the world if you go too far!!

someone will test drive the car, sooner or later, albeit maybe not from this forum (just kidding) -- and report back similar findings. i can wait, i do not hold an alleigence to a particular product (or car) as i have been in the car business for over 35yrs and with the BMW product for 20yrs -- but in the end -- as the old saying goes, "it is what it is" -- with my comments or without

you can arm chair analyse this till the cows come home ... but if you really want to prove me wrong -- go drive one for yourself.. doesnt mean you have to like it, or buy it...

thats all for me --
<simple case of reverse FUD>
well someone did test it and has a total contradictory feeling of what you felt, so I am really confused on what to believe....To me I would have to test it out myself...Here is the person which contradicts your review
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372175
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #37
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I'll be driving mine April 23rd from Munich to Italy, then wait for US docking return...will report ASAP. Also, don't forget how many people on here are invested and partial to their N54's at this point. So, objectivity is a tough beast to fight with changes along these lines. Most will not be charmed by a better or newer change until they get "internet racer" documentation via numbers and documentation from magazines and what not. I, for one, welcome it. I have an N54, have modded it heavily, and am now back to stock for my lease return and have been driving it around for the last month in it's current state with no problems. I test drove an N55 335 with 60 miles on it and was surprised that the lag response was noticeably better. I'm in an 07' N54 with the eldest update of the firmware, which means the least lag of the iteration and the N55 felt much more immediate and seamless to me. The exhaust sounded about the same to me...maybe a tad less raspy and more on the baratone side. I prefer the more metallic Ferrari-esque sound, if you ask me, but it doesn't sound bad by any stretch. Mine will be dumped in a 135 so it may very well feel even more different considering the size and what not. Otherwise, for those who have not driven it and are basically sh*ting on it before any actual seat time will be surprised. Whether it can be modified to the potential of an N54 remains to be seen but most factors point to no...the supposed 40 pounds of weight savings, or so, up front could also be a playing factor as to why N55 test cars are beating comparably equipped N54s on the track (don't ask me how I know this as it stretches far beyond dealers and magazine guys ). Anyhow, I can't wait! Something new to be inspired and toy with...Viva La BMW!

Last edited by TreDirtyFive; 04-14-2010 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #38
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
awesome to hear... just built an LCI e92 on BMWUSA.com and they look awesome but I was concerned the single turbo wouldn't live up to the N54.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #39
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Thumbs down

new engine sounds great, until BMW finds a design flaw and slaps on a progman update that alters the whole behavior of the car

Sound familiar?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #40
shifterboy45
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
well someone did test it and has a total contradictory feeling of what you felt, so I am really confused on what to believe....To me I would have to test it out myself...Here is the person which contradicts your review
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372175
I did read that post...

Again, im not here to represent the N55 as an "end all, be all", or some lightning fast repro of the N54 -- i was impressed with the torque curve, and the overall sound of the car.

In October 2006 i drove the 2007 E92, and thought the car was a little "soft" but deceptively fast. but then again i was a fan of the E46 M3 that let you know what you were doing, and how fast you were going -- real good sensory input, road feel, but in its own way the N54 has climbed to levels only dreamed of back then -- was i not impressed with the technology? of course i was, was i sold on it.. kinda of .. but not a full buy in. I think most people are in that type of boat right now.. in 2006 i got a 328 E92 and later promised my self, I would get a 335i next. so i did and im happy with it.

I drive cars again _FOR A LIVING_ not a hobby. i dont go around to dealers and hop in a car, drive around and then get online to promote something that isnt qualified. I have customers that rely on my input for their service needs and will take me to task if i am wrong, but in this case, there is no promotional interest to be gained for me, it was just a seat of the pants appraisal about an "iffy" new engine platform.

the numbers may be the same, where the engine generates those numbers are the tell-tale sign of improvement -- that alone will make a car 'feel' different.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #41
shifterboy45
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
I'll be driving mine April 23rd from Munich to Italy, then wait for US docking return...will report ASAP. Also, don't forget how many people on here are invested and partial to their N54's at this point. So, objectivity is a tough beast to fight with changes along these lines. Most will not be charmed by a better or newer change until they get "internet racer" documentation via numbers and documentation from magazines and what not. I, for one, welcome it. I have an N54, have modded it heavily, and am now back to stock for my lease return and have been driving it around for the last month in it's current state with no problems. I test drove an N55 335 with 60 miles on it and was surprised that the lag response was noticeably better. I'm in an 07' N54 with the eldest update of the, which means the least lag of the iteration and the N55 felt much more immediate and seamless to me. The exhaust sounded about the same to me...maybe a tad less raspy and more on the baratone side. I prefer the more metallic Ferrari-esque sound, if you ask me, but it doesn't sound bad by any stretch. Mine will be dumped in a 135 so it may very well feel even more different considering the size and what not. Otherwise, for those who have not driven it and are basically sh*ting on it before any actual seat time will be surprised. Whether it can be modified to the potential of an N54 remains to be seen but most factors point to no...the supposed 40 pounds of weight savings, or so, up front could also be a playing factor as to why N55 test cars are beating comparably equipped N54s on the track (don't ask me how I know this as it stretches far beyond dealers and magazine guys ). Anyhow, I can't wait! Something new to be inspired and toy with...Viva La BMW!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #42
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I did read that post...

Again, im not here to represent the N55 as an "end all, be all", or some lightning fast repro of the N54 -- i was impressed with the torque curve, and the overall sound of the car.

In October 2006 i drove the 2007 E92, and thought the car was a little "soft" but deceptively fast. but then again i was a fan of the E46 M3 that let you know what you were doing, and how fast you were going -- real good sensory input, road feel, but in its own way the N54 has climbed to levels only dreamed of back then -- was i not impressed with the technology? of course i was, was i sold on it.. kinda of .. but not a full buy in. I think most people are in that type of boat right now.. in 2006 i got a 328 E92 and later promised my self, I would get a 335i next. so i did and im happy with it.

I drive cars again _FOR A LIVING_ not a hobby. i dont go around to dealers and hop in a car, drive around and then get online to promote something that isnt qualified. I have customers that rely on my input for their service needs and will take me to task if i am wrong, but in this case, there is no promotional interest to be gained for me, it was just a seat of the pants appraisal about an "iffy" new engine platform.

the numbers may be the same, where the engine generates those numbers are the tell-tale sign of improvement -- that alone will make a car 'feel' different.
I am not doubting what you felt, but it really is up to the individual about the difference between the two engines...I just have to test it out myself...I want to feel the difference and it makes me want to make an appointment to test drive one really soon...Either I will be pissed off, or be happy at the end of the day!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #43
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

sounds like you drove a 335is
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #44
shifterboy45
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
sounds like you drove a 335is
i wish as that will probably be my next car

i opened the hood just to make sure, took a picture, but it was too dark in the drive ... ill try to get some video today, if they havent tucked the car away on the back lot..
Appreciate 0