E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > AMS Exhaust idea. Let us know what you think!

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a twin tip single 3" pipe system
Yes, I would not only be interested but I would purchase one 53 36.05%
Yes, I like it but im not sure if I would buy it 44 29.93%
No, the factory has two dedicated pipes so I think all exhuasts must 36 24.49%
Not really sure, undecided 14 9.52%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

09-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #485
KWY91
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
this forum can be harsh, to say the least.
I second that. looking forward to the pics this Friday!

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #486
Eric@AMS
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

It's ok, I do not fault anyone at all for asking questions. More often than not what can be construed as negative or malicious can just be a simple case of miscomunication. I myself have been on both sides of that mistake.

Bottom line is this is hard earned money you are all spending and we understand that you want the most for it. I always like to remind our customers that "you get what you pay for" though. I think you will find if you talk to a customer has first hand experience with our products that they were worth every penny

Eric
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #487
335Chris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

any updated pics? I had AMS parts on my evo and it was top notch.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #488
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Chris View Post
any updated pics? I had AMS parts on my evo and it was top notch.
he just posted:
Quote:
As far as pictures are concerned I will have updated pics on Friday when we launch our system.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #489
Car Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

AMS - Maybe you should consider opening a new thread relating to the official release of your new exhaust. This one says "Let us know what you think" in the title, so it's an open invitation for additional comments from board members.

On a separate note, could you please post dynos showing the gains with your new exhaust (I apoligize if this was posted somewhere in the previous 22 pages)? I'd be especially interested to see a comparison of the gains between the AMS and HKS exhausts. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #490
Eric@AMS
Captain
Rep

Sure, on friday/monday I plan on doing just that in the vendor section as I am not allowed to post it here. Look for it then

Eric
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #491
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

I think the price drop is excellent! At about $2k I was a little hesitant, but at this price I wish I would of waited. How long is this pricing going to last or is this one time thing? I may consider in the future.
      09-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #492
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

@Eric

Downpipes! Haha, I know you guys are doing your best, just figured I'd harass you a little more.

I'm really looking forward to a "turn-key" type of upgrade. Intercooler, DPs, Exhaust, ECU tuning all from one manufacturer. That way if something goes wrong I only have one vendor to bitch at (and hopefully have a lower probability of stuff going wrong).
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #493
Eric@AMS
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
I think the price drop is excellent! At about $2k I was a little hesitant, but at this price I wish I would of waited. How long is this pricing going to last or is this one time thing? I may consider in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
@Eric

Downpipes! Haha, I know you guys are doing your best, just figured I'd harass you a little more.

I'm really looking forward to a "turn-key" type of upgrade. Intercooler, DPs, Exhaust, ECU tuning all from one manufacturer. That way if something goes wrong I only have one vendor to bitch at (and hopefully have a lower probability of stuff going wrong).
We have about 30 systems I am willing to let go at this price

Downpipes are in the works but they are a ways away. I would target at least 4 months with casting and what not.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #494
Eric@AMS
Captain
Rep

I put the system up for sale. Sound files to follow shortly

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...91#post5814891
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 07:03 PM   #495
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@AMS View Post
There seems to be a bit of animosity in your post, did we wrong you in some way? I have tried to be as forthcoming as possible in our posts. I apologize if you feel you were misled. I have said quite a few times that we could make stuff cheaper but we are not in this or any business to make the cheapest part, rather we are here to try and make the best one we can.

Call me a bit biased but I think it does "blow the doors off the competition" in quality and price. Please show me another system built this nice with these high end components priced so well?

Our system is completely different from the HKS system. We would not expect a customer that is interested or considering that system to be interested in ours. Our exhaust quite simply is a nicer and better made system with higher end components. This is not me being cocky but rather the simple truth based on the construction and materials in their system compared to ours. Is the HKS system a bad one...of course not. Our system is just nicer.

In regards to VK, I have met Vince (very nice man) a few times and he has a different business model they we have. Not wrong, just different. What Vince is doing with his parts manufacturing we could easily do as well. We could build a piece with budget in mind and have it mass manufactured outside these doors to lower cost but quite simply we are not prepared to do that with this car. We prefer to have complete control over the fabrication, quality and fitment of our pieces. In many cases are pieces are complex enough that if we were to attempt to source outside manufacture it would be far from what we consider acceptable. Therefore we want to manufacture this in house. I could send this system to be made overseas but with how complex it is there is a good chance we would loose out on not only quality and fitment but performance as well. It's always been our company motto to provide and build the best parts possible. If that means it costs a little more to do so then so be it. Our parts are not for everyone and we understand that.

I am an open book to how a part is made, engineered and tested here at the shop. If you ever have any question about that please feel free to ask. I never intended to mislead or deceive anyone. That would serve us no purpose whatsoever. I do kindly ask that if you do have no intention of buying our system that you please refrain from the negative comments. I have no problem with constructive criticism or intelligent conversion regarding our products. There is nothing we love more than an educated customer.

As far as pictures are concerned I will have updated pics on Friday when we launch our system.

Eric
i'm sorry - i realize my post made me sound like a toolbox - i must have been in a bad mood after a long day of work or something....

anyhow - no you did not do me wrong i guess i was just expecting your system to be priced lower than the competition considering the total amount of materials used would be lessened by the single exhaust system. the ams system does not even have a resonator.... it is 2 long sections of pipe, a single muffler, and two tips and some vbands...

i have not seen your system or the hks in person but the hks appears to be probably the most well made system for this car to date. although, looking now at the production pics of the ams system i must say they are a tie in quality. i don't know if i can honestly say that using vbands instead of flanges that the overall quality of the system is better than the other...

my point was that if you can get the hks system which is of extremely high quality and contains more components and overall materials - why shouldn't the ams system be significantly cheaper since that was one of the main objectives you guys placed on the table when starting discussion of your exhaust system.

i don't think i am alone but i just find it VERYYYY hard to justify anywhere near that type of money for "some pipes and a muffler" so to speak....

i had never planned on buying downpipes for this car because of the "bmw tax" placed on the then current offerings... the vk group buy came along and a product that emanated value struck me and stole the money right out of my pocket.

when i look at a single 3" exhaust system that contains less materials and is simpler by design than the competition the word "value" doesn't come to mind when a $1600 price tag is still attached.

just because i drive a bmw doesn't mean i have bmw money for an exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #496
Eric@AMS
Captain
Rep

All good points. Honestly I think at the root of the cost of our system is the fact that it is made completely in house. HKS I am sure due to their many production connections can source material and labor cheaper than we can. That and I am sure they invested in producing more systems. Simple economics.

I do think our quality is higher but I also agree it can be a simple matter of opinion.

Input is always welcome Mwahlert and thank you for showing us your side

Eric
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #497
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

@Eric

I really don't feel like looking through all 24 pages. If I recall, isn't this system's sound "tunable"?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #498
mwahlert
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPlease View Post
@Eric

I really don't feel like looking through all 24 pages. If I recall, isn't this system's sound "tunable"?
i don't believe so - i think it was an idea on the table but didn't make it to production..

correct me if i am wrong...
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #499
Eric@AMS
Captain
Rep

Mwahlert is correct. We thought about it initially but abandoned the idea for simplicity sake.

Eric
Appreciate 0