E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > MY N53 (NOX, Injectors, rough run, sooty exhaust) Is running badly how do I diagnose

12-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #243
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: bmw330i e91 lci/ n53

Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
Maybe but I want to have two different versions. The one from Bimmerprofs is German and has different menus, the one from Bimmergeeks is English.
So easy for me to have two separate installations with two different shortcuts for each INPA.
there is no bimmerprofs inpa version...they just provided a link to msd80 loader 2.023 (which are in fact just 5 small files allowing to extend the functional menu for ecu) and this can be integrated to whatever version of inpa...similarly bimmergeeks provide a link to a version of inpa which happens to be english...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:24 PM   #244
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Thanks. Where do I get those ipo and prg files, is that the "datum" download?

Also which folder should they reside in?

Thanks
download msd80 loader as schriss advised..there are 5files there...copy the ipo files to SGDAT (shall be under es-apps/inpa on C drive)...copy the ipo files+prg file+config file to C/Ediabas/Ecu...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #245
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Thanks. It's the msd87 loader it turned out I need because I have an f10. Got inpa running anyway, though I blitzed a working ista in the process. Doh.

Recently fitted a new OEM nox sensor. The symptoms were error codes for NOX (duh!) Higher fuel consumption (expected) and a slightly more sooty than usual tail pipes. I've fitted a new OEM nox sensor clear adaptations etc and the MPG has restored and I've confirmed engine is running stratified. However, the exhaust continues to get more sooty than before. I intend to take a look at the plugs after its been sat, but does this sound like a leaking injector? No misfires, no codes, no CEL etc.

Injectors are all index 11 fitted at 40k miles by BMW. Just outside 2 year warranty I think, too. Only 28k miles on them, so hopefully not that just yet.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #246
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E60 530i

I've a NOXEM fitted, no errors and everything is fine with stratified mode working as it should. You will always get sooty exhaust on petrol as mines the same, it just takes longer to get sooty compared to when it was running in Homo emergency mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #247
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew88 View Post
I've a NOXEM fitted, no errors and everything is fine with stratified mode working as it should. You will always get sooty exhaust on petrol as mines the same, it just takes longer to get sooty compared to when it was running in Homo emergency mode.

Yeah that's what I'm probably not explaining very well though. Car is running fine, except the exhaust is getting far sootier far more quickly than ever before. I've had the car 5 years, I know how it used to be, compared to how it is since the NOX issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #248
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. It's the msd87 loader it turned out I need because I have an f10. Got inpa running anyway, though I blitzed a working ista in the process. Doh.

Recently fitted a new OEM nox sensor. The symptoms were error codes for NOX (duh!) Higher fuel consumption (expected) and a slightly more sooty than usual tail pipes. I've fitted a new OEM nox sensor clear adaptations etc and the MPG has restored and I've confirmed engine is running stratified. However, the exhaust continues to get more sooty than before. I intend to take a look at the plugs after its been sat, but does this sound like a leaking injector? No misfires, no codes, no CEL etc.

Injectors are all index 11 fitted at 40k miles by BMW. Just outside 2 year warranty I think, too. Only 28k miles on them, so hopefully not that just yet.

Thanks

you should be fine with injectors index 11...I have couple of friends who have them and they have no issues after 60+kmiles on them; and I have myself index 4 in my 330i with 100+k miles and they work fine as well (they had professional cleaning at 60kmiles)
as for the sooty exhaust...that could also be a sign that nox system started to work and nox cat regeneration is executed from time to time...according to my observations the exhaust always gets more sooty after nox cat regeneration
and do not forget that our n53 engines are overall quite sensitive on carbonization...so after 60kmiles it is definitely good to consider air intake carbon blasting and also engine wash at each oil exhange

Last edited by jirka330i; 01-11-2020 at 08:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:43 AM   #249
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirka330i View Post
as for the sooty exhaust...that could also be a sign that nox system started to work and nox cat regeneration is executed from time to time...according to my observations the exhaust always gets more sooty after nox cat regeneration....
Thanks. I think you might be right. Since the new sensor went in I'd only done very short trips. Took it for a 4hr return trip blast yesterday and it's much cleaner today

Btw I've changed the 0-40 oil recently and used 0-30 and the oil temps are staying lower!? On the old oil I could easily get the temp over 120c and now it stays well below 120c. Odd. F10 has oil temp guage.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #250
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Quote:
as for the sooty exhaust...that could also be a sign that nox system started to work and nox cat regeneration is executed from time to time...according to my observations the exhaust always gets more sooty after nox cat regeneration....
Thanks. I think you might be right. Since the new sensor went in I'd only done very short trips. Took it for a 4hr return trip blast yesterday and it's much cleaner today

Btw I've changed the 0-40 oil recently and used 0-30 and the oil temps are staying lower!? On the old oil I could easily get the temp over 120c and now it stays well below 120c. Odd. F10 has oil temp guage.
Strange, I've been using 0-40 for 7 months now and about 7k miles and the temp has never gone above 100. Long drives it's about 105 max and normal traffic drops down to 90-95.

Curious with the new sensor what is your mpg?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #251
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronblack View Post

On the aforementioned 4hr return trip and really not trying, OBC said 35 and a bit mpg. This morning I noticed one of my rear tyres was only 1.5 bar, so pretty low. It's about what I used to get before I replaced the sensor so happy with that. It's an F10 530i auto.

Incidentally with msd87 I didn't need to code the new sensor or reset adaptations, was picked up automatically.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #252
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Strange, I've been using 0-40 for 7 months now and about 7k miles and the temp has never gone above 100. Long drives it's about 105 max and normal traffic drops down to 90-95.

Are those temps coolant or oil?

Tbh the oil temp difference has surprised and dumbfounded me all in one go. I was never quite comfortable with 120+c oil (!) but now it's lower, noticeably lower, is the fault now or before and what could it be? No codes etc. DME never complained.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:10 AM   #253
aaronblack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Quote:

Are those temps coolant or oil?

Tbh the oil temp difference has surprised and dumbfounded me all in one go. I was never quite comfortable with 120+c oil (!) but now it's lower, noticeably lower, is the fault now or before and what could it be? No codes etc. DME never complained.
Oil temperature monitored by the gauge (E92).

I've read conflicting information regarding 120 being normal to which i thought maybe my thermostat is bad hence not reaching 120+

But on a heavy run I do see it reaching 105/10 but normally it's about 100.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #254
schriss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330e Plugin Hybrid

My oil temp goes up to 95C max and stays there, regardless what run is it, highway or in traffic. The most I have seen in bumper to bumper traffic was 105C and I was kind of freaking out. It dropped as soon as I started moving.
And my test for thermostat was to drive fast on highway. On my E46 when thermostat was stuck open, I could just see temp go lower the faster I went, like dangerously low into 60C or so.
Now on my E93 (I have coolant/oil heat exchanger, not sure which other cars have it or not), this does not happen, once temp reaches 95C it stays there even when going fast in cold weather. So I leave it as is and assume thermostat is fine.
      01-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #255
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
However, the exhaust continues to get more sooty than before. I intend to take a look at the plugs after its been sat, but does this sound like a leaking injector? No misfires, no codes, no CEL etc.
Thanks
I would think it could be injector (one or more), but you say they are index 11 relatively new so I would not replace them, unless INPA rough run menu shows imbalance/univennes, it is easy to see there. Injectors not just leak, they can have problem making the mist and then you wont get proper burn, imagine injector just squirting fuel instead of a mist. Or it might open too slow or other things. Whatever going on there, INPA should show in Rough Run.
Spark plugs if old yea I would just replace. And have a look at coils, especially if they are Bosh, those are not great, I think latest ones are by Delphi. You should see whitish arches on them easily.
And if you just replaced NOX sensor but did not code nox cat replacement, then I think car will want to run more cat regens before going back to normal.
      01-18-2020, 08:06 AM   #256
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

...and the winner is

Quote:
... Or at least, after a few long ish runs it seems to be getting better.

Interestingly a vibration at 2200 rpm which could be felt if the door is open has gone too.

Now I just need to figure out if the cooler engine is an improvement or an impending wallet bashing exercise.

Edit. Some spirited driving got it up to 120c. All back to normal. The zf8 and n53 are a great match. Since the new nox I've noticed the exhaust smells different. Like it used to. Reckon the nox cat must have been proper chocked up.

Last edited by Dormermike; 01-21-2020 at 06:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #257
Cribert
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I have no clue about all the NOX stuff, stratified mode etc. Can someone explain it in simple terms? I have an n53, index 11 injectors, 113k miles. Running well apart from not great mpg. Always seems to be 26mpg.

I read the codes and it was in German but I’m sure the nox was mentioned..

Any suggestions
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #258
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribert View Post
I have no clue about all the NOX stuff, stratified mode etc. Can someone explain it in simple terms? I have an n53, index 11 injectors, 113k miles. Running well apart from not great mpg. Always seems to be 26mpg.

I read the codes and it was in German but I’m sure the nox was mentioned..

Any suggestions
Post up the inpa report for your car
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:43 PM   #259
Cribert
Private
Rep

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186862.../shares/Jf8nz6

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186862.../shares/YH9t13

Not sure if this will work or not...

Any help appreciated. It’s in German so no idea what it says or what the image means with the green bars
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #260
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/186862.../shares/Jf8nz6

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186862.../shares/YH9t13

Not sure if this will work or not...

Any help appreciated. It's in German so no idea what it says or what the image means with the green bars
One code is for the nox sensor the other is for your water pump

Standard procedure is to clear the codes in memory and also history memory. And see what comes back. Check engine temps if you only do short runs for engine temp
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #261
Cribert
Private
Rep

Thankyou mate. I had a coolant leak when a hose popped off. I think that’s the water pump code.

Is the nox sensor code meaning the sensor is gubbed? I can’t work out how to get the water temps on the dash at all. Tried the procedure the best part of 10 times and it doesn’t seem to work. I’ve a pre LCI n53..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #262
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thankyou mate. I had a coolant leak when a hose popped off. I think that’s the water pump code.

Is the nox sensor code meaning the sensor is gubbed? I can’t work out how to get the water temps on the dash at all. Tried the procedure the best part of 10 times and it doesn’t seem to work. I’ve a pre LCI n53..
Quote:
Thankyou mate. I had a coolant leak when a hose popped off. I think that's the water pump code.

Is the nox sensor code meaning the sensor is gubbed? I can't work out how to get the water temps on the dash at all. Tried the procedure the best part of 10 times and it doesn't seem to work. I've a pre LCI n53..

You can see the Water temps are in inpa it's worth go through all the menus and familiarising yourself. The Nox code will stop stratified. If you delete the codes in both memory and it reappear then your sensor is knackered
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #263
schriss
Private First Class
Rep

Guys, just found out a free tool that reads BMW Codes (no affiliation!). Works with Elm Bluetooth too. I purchased full version, BUT I was able to read my codes with free version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....lite&hl=en_US

Second thing: here are my emissions test results from before and after fitting NOXEM
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=25899268
      03-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #264
jirka330i
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
Guys, just found out a free tool that reads BMW Codes (no affiliation!). Works with Elm Bluetooth too. I purchased full version, BUT I was able to read my codes with free version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....lite&hl=en_US

Second thing: here are my emissions test results from before and after fitting NOXEM
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=25899268
well...emissions look good (and my guess is that the improvement is more linked to your leaking injectors...or by incomparability of the 2 tests...because of very different engine temperatures...) BUT i do not see any nox concentration values (relevant to the nox system)...normally (with original bmw nox sensor) you can check nox ppm easily in inpa...but with noxem you just see emulated fake values. Anyway, nox system in n53 is important only in stratified mode which has higher nox output...so even when testing like-to-like nox emisions you have to make sure that the engine runs in stratified;
Appreciate 0